• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 5 or Vortex Razor Gen ii

pewpew300WM

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2019
West Central PA
Looking for some input from users running each optic. I’m torn between the vortex 4.5x27x56 ebr7c and leupold 5x25x56 and the 7x35x56 cch. The optic will be mounted on my r700 in a mdt acc chassis to replace my millet scope now.
40E3F2B7-3D6F-4847-9820-3B103FDEBFFB.jpeg

Honestly these to scopes are so close in performance I would pick the one with the reticle you like best and roll with that.

I was in your shoes a year ago and I ended up with the razor. I much prefer the ebr2c to any of Leopolds current offerings.

Either way you go, you will be happy with the optic.

Honestly these to scopes are so close in performance I would pick the one with the reticle you like best and roll with that.

I was in your shoes a year ago and I ended up with the razor. I much prefer the ebr2c to any of Leopolds current offerings.

Either way you go, you will be happy with the optic.
It’s tough picking for sure. I’ve been watching a ton of videos and reading reviews.

I had both at one point. Glass was very close. For me the eye box was more forgivable with the Gen2. Just felt the Razor was more reliable.

Good luck.

Reactions: pewpew300WM
I had both at one point. Glass was very close. For me the eye box was more forgivable with the Gen2. Just felt the Razor was more reliable.

Good luck.
I’m thinking I’m going to buy the razor and if I end up not liking it I’ll get rid of it and get a mark 5. Hoping leupold releases new reticles in the mk5 at shot show anyway.

Reactions: Browerka
I have a 5-25 mk 5 a atacr 5-25 and a gen 2. Between the gen2 and mk5 if weight is not a concern. The gen 2 is a much better optic than the mk5. Espicially for that price range. I like the mk5 but the reaolution and chromatic abrasion is much better on the GEN 2

Last edited:
I have a 5-25 mk 5 a atacr 5-25 and a gen 2. Between the gen2 and mk5 if weight is not a concern. The gen 2 is a much better optic than the mk5. Espicially for that price range. I like the mk5 but the reaolution and chromatic abrasion is much better on the GEN 2
Yeah weight isn’t an issue I’m thinking of going the razor route and if I end up not liking it I’ll sell and get a mark 5 to try. Wouldn’t mind if they released a high mag gen 3 at shot show.

I've been comparing these a lot lately against my own scope. I've looked through close to a half dozen of each within the last 5 months. I would have to say the Razor is the better optic. The eyebox is better, the glass is consistently better.

It's not a leaps and bounds thing, the MK5 is a nice scope. I agree with other posters that either will treat you great. But if I had to give one the nod, it would be the Vortex.

Yeah weight isn’t an issue I’m thinking of going the razor route and if I end up not liking it I’ll sell and get a mark 5 to try. Wouldn’t mind if they released a high mag gen 3 at shot show.
You can find a GEN 2 used bere for 1600-1800 with the ebr 2c probably pay a tad more for the new reticles. But ive had my gen2 for 4 years and and its never let me down.

I was in the same boat a month ago...after looking through both and seeing no difference in glass for my eyes, I went with the Gen2 because my mind works better with their reticles. Found a steal of a deal on an ebr7 and didnt hesitate

I was in the same boat a month ago...after looking through both and seeing no difference in glass for my eyes, I went with the Gen2 because my mind works better with their reticles. Found a steal of a deal on an ebr7 and didnt hesitate
I just placed my order tonight for the razor 3-4 weeks and it’ll be here.

Indeed so I am speaking with him right now. Going to be placing an order today.

I hope you like it! I went through the same decision and landed on the MK5 due to weight and it seemed like the glass was a little better. It seems like they are really close. I do have a Bushnell XRS II that I'm considering replacing with the Razor. Not sure it will be worth it though.

I hope you like it! I went through the same decision and landed on the MK5 due to weight and it seemed like the glass was a little better. It seems like they are really close. I do have a Bushnell XRS II that I'm considering replacing with the Razor. Not sure it will be worth it though.
Yeah weight doesn’t bother me much. It already weighs 15lbs so what’s a couple more pounds. I don’t carry the rifle in the woods. Just from vehicle to range and tree stand.

I love my MK5. I’m hoping there will be some new reticle announced at SHOT.

I love the CCH and have no complaints other than it not being able to light up. This is one reticle design that can truly benefit from this feature. If not, I suppose I can either live with it or go in on a lit Tremor 3, but I'd rather not.

I love the CCH and have no complaints other than it not being able to light up. This is one reticle design that can truly benefit from this feature. If not, I suppose I can either live with it or go in on a lit Tremor 3, but I'd rather not.
I have the illuminated Tremor 3, and it isn’t a bad reticle. The only problem is that it is a little busy and can make it hard to track trace or spot impacts. The design itself is pretty decent, but it certainly has its limitations. I’d love to see Leupold release a reticle that is more of a traditional Christmas tree.

I am a Vortex guy so....I'll say Vortex.
I don't think Leupold is at that NightForce and Vortex level yet.

I'm not trying to come off as some rabid fanboy (I'm not), so don't take this wrong way.

Once upon a time, long before everyone and their mom became a long range precision shooter subject matter expert mall ninja PRS semi-professional YouTube sniper, Leupold & Stevens, inc. set the bar for what was to become the tactical rifle scope market. Their tactical line of optics was THE alpha dog that all the little scopes in the world wanted to grow up to be, and they dominated the tactical rifle scope market for a very long time. Employed domestically by various state and federal law enforcement agencies, and deployed to various combat theater of operations by our elite military forces around the world, the Utlra, Mark 4, Mark 6 and Mark 8 line of optics are worthy of respect for their outstanding, proven and long service record, and their role in effectively defeating the enemies of our republic time and time again. Now granted, Leupold began to rest on their laurels and became very complacent in their place in the market, which allowed for aspiring companies like Nightforce and Vortex to step up, surpass and secure their place and bring new innovations to a now crowded tactical rifle scope market. Nevertheless, Leupold was among the few companies who laid the groundwork for others to build on, and their legacy should be respected in that regard.

Reactions: black max
I was looking at selling my MK5 for a Kahles. Why did you switch?

like i said earlier the mark5 glass is by far the best glass FOR MY EYE that ive looked through.
im no fan boy to any brand...more like a glass whore...

2-night force...NXS 8-32...SFP ATACR
5-vortex...3 GEN2 razors..2 GEN2 PSTs
2-athlon...argos..cronus
1-SWFA...3-15...this glass was fantasic...a little under powered and way to thick reticle
3-kahlas..6-24s
4-leupold...been a long time dont remember the first 2...now 5-25..7-35 mark5s

ive looked through...

several S&Bs
a couple of US optics
a riteon...these have pretty nice glass and the reticles are not to bad either
weiver
bushnell
nikkon
and probably a bunch of others that ive forgotten about.

id love to look through a TT just to see what all the fuss is about but it would REALLY have to do something impressive to get me to spend close to 5k on a scope.

WoW!!! What a lecture, You almost make me wanna like Leupold.

Neither you nor anyone else has to like Leupold. I've owned both Nightforce and Vortex. The Japanese know how to make a quality optic and their scopes are being used by our forces in combat operations today. The M24s my platoon snipers were equipped with during our fight in Iraq urban terrain were topped with Leupolds and they put down a lot of guys who would rather see American heads on a spike, so to say they're not at the "Nightforce and Vortex level yet" isn't exactly a true statement. Charlie Mike

Last edited:
Haha, wow. I dont even know what to say............

I have sent back all but 2 vortex scopes I owned. I don't own them anymore.

I started buying Leupold. Vx3i, Mark 5, Mark 6, etc. Guess how many have needed returned? Not a single one.

Leupold had a bum turret design in the m5b2. They admitted it and discontinued it. The m5c2 is good to go. That one single turret is responsible for almost every story of "my Leupold won't track".

I also support their machining and assembling everything in house. It's known that they import glass from various manufacturers, but the rest is all USA.
Their binos are Chinese and Japanese though.

I'd say find what makes you happy and buy it. Vortex makes a good product for the price with a stellar warranty. Love them or hate them, they raised the bar in terms of warranty and price point which has benefited us all regardless of brand preference (everyone seems to run better deals now and all the big manufactures seem to have a comparable warranty). I have personally seen a few PST Gen II and Razor Gen II go back to the factory for a variety of issues, but I still haven't sold mine. With that being said, I really like my MK5s because they passed every tracking test I have thrown at them and have good glass to my eyes. It is noteworthy that glass coatings can make certain glass look better under different light (i.e., one scope looks better in florescent light and the other looks better outside). At the end of the day, find something on a good deal, buy it, shoot it, and sell it on here when you decide you don't like it or want to try something new.

Neither you nor anyone else has to like Leupold. I've owned both Nightforce and Vortex. The Japanese know how to make a quality optic and their scopes are being used by our forces in combat operations today.

Well being that America turned their soil into glass,... perhaps they maximized the nuclear radiation...

Reactions: forrestgump01
So im also between the razor gen 2 and the mark 5. I was raised looking thru leupolds on my hunting rifles. From what I’m reading the mark 5 is a solid scope. But the vortex is illuminated and has the EBR-7c for a better price. Decisions decisions

I'm a Leupold fan and prefer the Made in the USA. Even if someone told me Vortex had better glass it just doesn't taste right to not be putting American glass on an American rifle. Personally, I just bought the Mark 5 5-25 with H59 reticle but there's no rifle under it yet.

Reactions: TheTrauma
IIRC, Razors are made in the US, just like the Mk5's. Both are good scopes, pick the one with the reticle and/or weight you prefer, and drive on.

Yes, I have both. And I've been happy with both.

Razors are made in Japan but then they rip the mechanical guts out and replace it with their own stuff so the manufacturer can’t steal that design for themselves is what I’ve seen reported.

I think lowlight had a video that touched on that fact

Razors are made in Japan but then they rip the mechanical guts out and replace it with their own stuff so the manufacturer can’t steal that design for themselves is what I’ve seen reported.

I think lowlight had a video that touched on that fact
Yeah, that’s what I remember as well, I was just being lazy and didn’t want to type it all out on my phone. ?

I own multiple scopes from Leopold , Nightforce , Vortex. I prefer the vortex , but thats just my personal taste. I think that vortex has customer service that's hard to beat.

You make a very bold statement considering that leupold was cranking out quality scopes 50 yrs before vortex and nightforce ever dreamed of even making a scope . Leopold was a go to scope for long range shooters LONG before nightforce or vortex ever came around. I wonder how many millions of leupold scopes were already in circulation when nightforce drew up the blueprints for there first scope?

I would like to see a comparison between manufacturers showing a failure rate per units made, sort of a per capita comparrison. in other words , for every 1000 scopes made , how many had problems and / or needed warranty work.
I would be willing to bet leupold would win that hands down.

Reactions: Blackfoot 7