• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold mark 5?

Steven308

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2021
Foreston MN
In the market for a scope. It’s going on a 308 AR10 I’m building. Will be used between 300-1000 yards, mainly on steel, but might also do some hunting. Definitely not a designated hunting rifle though. Might be getting into some local PRS matches with it. No nighttime shooting, I can’t afford night vision and kids.
Must be FFP, and since all my scopes are already MILs I’m sticking with that. I’d prefer a magnification range somewhere around 5-25, and since I will be carrying the gun around I am considering the weight. I liked the Razor until I picked it up. Frank wasn’t kidding about the weight. Picked up a Leupold Mark 5 with the TMR reticle and I like it. I wouldn’t mind a simple tree, but I definitely don’t want something really complicated. The open center on the TMR seems a little odd but I’m growing to like the idea of it. Also looking at the PR2 reticle but haven’t found one to look through in person.
My price range is right around 2k, and with my first kid on the way that’s pretty strict. Before I pull the trigger I figured I’d see what you guys have to say. Something else I should look at? I like how the TMR looks, but it would be nice to have a simple tree also.

The PR2 is great for shooting matches and hunting in my opinion. A little less cluttered than other tree style reticle. The glass in my Mark 5 is excellent and I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the purchase. I sold my Razor AMG when I bought my Mark 5 and don’t regret it.

Reactions: Steven308
The illuminated TMR has a center dot. PR2 has the tree, also consider the PR1 as well, it’s what the TMR should of been, .2 hash and has center dot even in non-illumination.

Just picked up a 3.6-18 PR1 illuminated myself for my SPR/DMR rifle, looking forward to trying it out when I get home the 21st.

I have a 5-25 with PR2 on my hunting rifle. I'm a big fan of the floating center dot and its not too cluttered at all. Like others have said the 18x might be the route to go. I rarely crank mine up to 25, usually shoot with it between 15 and 20x

The 3.3-18× XTR3 certainly belongs in this conversations. If you were able to drop it alongside the 18x MK5 I think you would be pleasantly surprised at which one you like better.

The 3.3-18× XTR3 certainly belongs in this conversations. If you were able to drop it alongside the 18x MK5 I think you would be pleasantly surprised at which one you like better.

When’s it going to have illumination? My question, not meaning for OP’s wants.

Reactions: beetroot
I have a 5-25 with PR2 on my hunting rifle. I'm a big fan of the floating center dot and its not too cluttered at all. Like others have said the 18x might be the route to go. I rarely crank mine up to 25, usually shoot with it between 15 and 20
I have a 5-25 with PR2 on my hunting rifle. I'm a big fan of the floating center dot and its not too cluttered at all. Like others have said the 18x might be the route to go. I rarely crank mine up to 25, usually shoot with it between 15 and 20x
Does that come with a PR2? I couldn’t seem to find that option on leupolds site

Been doing a lot of reading on the xtr3, definitely one of the options now. Thanks for the info

The illuminated TMR has a center dot. PR2 has the tree, also consider the PR1 as well, it’s what the TMR should of been, .2 hash and has center dot even in non-illumination.

Just picked up a 3.6-18 PR1 illuminated myself for my SPR/DMR rifle, looking forward to trying it out when I get home the 21st.
The reason the TMR is growing on me is that the old fixed 10 power on my bolt gun has a thick reticle, so it makes shooting groups at 100 more difficult since it takes up so much real estate. If the reticles on these are a lot finer though it would be a non issue.

I believe the non illuminated mk5 has a finer reticle than the illuminated.

The glass and controls on the MK5 were significantly better for me over the Burris, not even in the same category other than price. The MK5 is really a mid-high 2k optic hanging out in the lower priced tier.

Does that come with a PR2? I couldn’t seem to find that option on leupolds site
Yessir, purchase from Doug at camera land. EDIT: If you’re referring to the 3-18x in pr2 I am not sure, sorry.
71609AE0-AF11-4EA8-930B-1B83A193000D.jpeg

I don’t think it’s offered in the 18x. But if you’re set on it the 5-25 has been great. Like I said I rarely have it past 20x. It is a bit longer than the 18x though.

CB88CDB5-28FA-4934-BEA1-4425B8C5118C.jpeg

The glass and controls on the MK5 were significantly better for me over the Burris, not even in the same category other than price. The MK5 is really a mid-high 2k optic hanging out in the lower priced tier.
I've compared to more MK5s than I can beat with a stick. I intentionally pull MK5 owners over to drop alongside my XTR3s. Most recently at the PRS Rimfire Finale in Texas a couple weeks ago. That had two MK5s, a Kahles and a ZCO.. By far the biggest reaction is amazement at how much better the FOV and site picture is through the Burris. Seconded by surprise at how nice the glass is.

In over 2 years I've never had anyone say they thought the MK5 glass was better. Let alone significantly better, or worse yet, not even in the same class... Even our Leupold rep in Oregon who comes and shoots my match said the glass was excellent in the XTR3 and Burris did a "fantastic" job with that scope.

But I respect your opinion, you're entitled to it. But your way outside the normal reaction of Leupy owners with their scopes side by side with the Burris.

Got both the mk5 and 4-16 atacr. I’d highly recommend both. Glass on the atacr is slightly better IMO but it’s not gonna make a difference for your use case I think. Don’t really need more than 16x at 1000 yards with good glass for spotting your misses.

Setting up zero stop on the mk5 is a lot easier and I like that the entire ocular assembly doesn’t rotate when adjusting magnification. It’s also very lightweight.

The atacr has adjustable parallax down to 25 yards which is a plus for me when I’m dry firing in my back yard. You can also dial up to 2 mil down once you set the zero stop which is nice if I want to drop it on another rifle temporarily.

I really like the Mark 5 line; it's the best thing Leopold has made in a long time. I've got both the 3.6-18x and the 5-25x. The 3.6-18x is about perfect for a gasser. I've used the 5-25x on big frames and while it's long, it's not heavy for it's size. I do think it looks a little like a Harley hauling firewood on a gasser unless it's a 22-24" barrel with a can. The 5-25x was just about perfect on the rifle I shot at Ko2M and I've used it quite a bit in PRS and field matches like Mammoth where I'm conscious of weight.

Things I wish they would change:
1. I don't like fast focus eye pieces.
2. I wish it had more than .5 MRAD under the zero stop.
3. I would like to be able to focus down to 10m.
4. I wish it was a 34mm tube.
5. I wish I didn't have to pay an up charge for illuminated reticle although I almost never use one.

They aren't NF ATACR level and I actually like the NX8 better than the Mark 5 but they are really pretty good.

Things they got right:
1. Turrets track better than the Mark 6
2. Glass is pretty good.
3. They are light weight.

I agree. I have two that have been bomber in really tough conditions.

If someone else with a solid reputation (ZCO, are you listening!) makes a lightweight ffp, 3/4-18/20 class ffp optic, capped windage and a reticle with at least .25 or .2 marks for wind I’d swap the stable out. Right now I’m looking for more mark5s.

Burris XTR3 was close but too heavy.

I've compared to more MK5s than I can beat with a stick. I intentionally pull MK5 owners over to drop alongside my XTR3s. Most recently at the PRS Rimfire Finale in Texas a couple weeks ago. That had two MK5s, a Kahles and a ZCO.. By far the biggest reaction is amazement at how much better the FOV and site picture is through the Burris. Seconded by surprise at how nice the glass is.

In over 2 years I've never had anyone say they thought the MK5 glass was better. Let alone significantly better, or worse yet, not even in the same class... Even our Leupold rep in Oregon who comes and shoots my match said the glass was excellent in the XTR3 and Burris did a "fantastic" job with that scope.

But I respect your opinion, you're entitled to it. But your way outside the normal reaction of Leupy owners with their scopes side by side with the Burris.
I'll have to check yours out at a match but all of the ones I've seen haven't been great at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they send out better samples to shooters but inconsistent samples to the general public.

The Mk5 3.6-18s and 5-25s have all been solid and consistent sample to sample out of the 100 I've probably looked through over the past year. Yes there are improvements I'd like to see made as well, including adding the PR2 to the 3.6-18 but overall it's by far the best scope at it's price point. It also has the most wins this year(PRS and NRL) including the recent AG Cup ;)

I'll have to check yours out at a match but all of the ones I've seen haven't been great at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they send out better samples to shooters but inconsistent samples to the general public.

The Mk5 3.6-18s and 5-25s have all been solid and consistent sample to sample out of the 100 I've probably looked through over the past year. Yes there are improvements I'd like to see made as well, including adding the PR2 to the 3.6-18 but overall it's by far the best scope at it's price point. It also has the most wins this year(PRS and NRL) including the recent AG Cup ;)
I agree Leupold has a great shooting team. I know lots of those guys and have had my scopes alongside theirs from Morgun King on down. They are great people running a very good optic. I'm an MD for a Pro Series Qualifier and I'm the 2022 NW Regional Director, so I rub elbows with their shooters and reps all the time. They come shoot my match and put fantastic items on my prize table, so I have nothing but respect for all those guys and their contribution to the sport.

You've looked through 100 MK5s in a year? Do you work for them? Maybe I know you? I shoot two and three times a month locally, regionally, and hit a handful of Pro Series matches. I got to shoot in both the centerfire and rimfire PRS Finales this year. But I havent even seen 100 seperate MK5s 🤣 ( I say seperate because I see a lot of the same guys that run them)

And no, I don't get a special scope. I dont need a special scope. I get a scope sealed in a box just like everyone else. Its not special, set aside just for me. Its pulled off a shelf and shipped just like everyone else.

And I've looked through bunches of XTR3s. There are 7 of them here locally, guys that shoot at my matches every month. Along with the handful I own, all of them are clear and bright.

Lastly, you are literally, the only guy in two years, who has ever made any statements even remotely close to this. I havent seen anyone on the several forums I follow in close to three years make claims of this nature. I havent heard of anyone in the past two years getting behind an XTR3 and coming away with statements like yours. Not a single one. I've personally participated in side by sides with tons of brands with probably somewhere north of 50 to 70 shooters, and the Burris has gotten nothing but respect.

But again, I do respect your opinion. I only responded to this to give you an idea of how far down the curve you are. You're like the very first data point 😉

I would gladly drop my scope alongside yours for comparison if we ever have a chance to meet at a match. This is me...

Last edited:
Had an xtr2 and liked it, but damn it was heavy for a backcountry hunting rig. Would love to check out the xtr3 but the mk5 edged it out solely based on weight. Now I’m looking at the razor LHT 4.5-22 to shave off some more ounces.

I will say my xtr2’s were rock solid, and it sounds like the xtr3 only made improvements

Having run both the xtr 3 and the mark 5:
the fov is better with the xtr3
I think the glass and turrets go to the mark 5. Toss up on reticle.
I had too many tracking issues with 2 different xtr3s otherwise they win. Burris did a great job of getting them turned around, maybe the best i have seen. But out of 2 mk5s, i have had no function issues.

Reactions: 4RingShooter
I agree Leupold has a great shooting team. I know lots of those guys and have had my scopes alongside theirs from Morgun King on down. They are great people running a very good optic. I'm an MD for a Pro Series Qualifier and I'm the 2022 NW Regional Director, so I rub elbows with their shooters and reps all the time. They come shoot my match and put fantastic items on my prize table, so I have nothing but respect for all those guys and their contribution to the sport.

You've looked through 100 MK5s in a year? Do you work for them? Maybe I know you? I shoot two and three times a month locally, regionally, and hit a handful of Pro Series matches. I got to shoot in both the centerfire and rimfire PRS Finales this year. But I havent even seen 100 seperate MK5s 🤣 ( I say seperate because I see a lot of the same guys that run them)

And no, I don't get a special scope. I dont need a special scope. I get a scope sealed in a box just like everyone else. Its not special, set aside just for me. Its pulled off a shelf and shipped just like everyone else.

And I've looked through bunches of XTR3s. There are 7 of them here locally, guys that shoot at my matches every month. Along with the handful I own, all of them are clear and bright.

Lastly, you are literally, the only guy in two years, who has ever made any statements even remotely close to this. I havent seen anyone on the several forums I follow in close to three years make claims of this nature. I havent heard of anyone in the past two years getting behind an XTR3 and coming away with statements like yours. Not a single one. I've personally participated in side by sides with tons of brands with probably somewhere north of 50 to 70 shooters, and the Burris has gotten nothing but respect.

But again, I do respect your opinion. I only responded to this to give you an idea of how far down the curve you are. You're like the very first data point 😉

I would gladly drop my scope alongside yours for comparison if we ever have a chance to meet at a match. This is me...

Bless your heart...

I'm sure I'll see you at a match sometime this year, hopefully the new Burris is better than the current version from the samples I've seen.

• Haha
Reactions: PowPowHawg
Bless your heart...

I'm sure I'll see you at a match sometime this year, hopefully the new Burris is better than the current version from the samples I've seen.
I would love to show you the new one, see what you think.

You got that whole forum anonymity thing going on though. You'll have to approach me..

Reactions: PowPowHawg
My thoughts on the Mark 5HD. Your barking up the right tree. Between the weight, locking elevation, and capped windage, it shines in the crossover hunting / precision rifle competition role. As for reticle, they have just about all the more common reticle types plus some more. The PR2 was the one I had in for review.

Reactions: Baron23
I’m happy with my vortex as well, the 1-6 or 1-8 power they offer is a good option which I have on my 308AR in a 2.5-10 and it’s perfect.