• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is it enough for PRS type shooting

TSU99

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2017
I'm really liking the looks of the Leupold Mark 5HD . I can't decide if I should get the 5-25 model or if the 3.6-18 . Will the 3.6-18 model be enough for local PRS type matches. I also am having a hard time deciding between the Tremor 3 reticle or the CCH. What's everyone's thought on this. Thanks

18x on the top end is plenty IMO.

Tremor 3 over the CCH. Why? .2mil wind holds on the main horizontal and all hold over brackets, plus the option of holding over and holding wind with mil values or using the Tremor wind dots.

I have been thinking of trying one also. I don’t have any experience with leupold, but it looks to be a nice compact option

It's appealing to me because it isn't horrifically light - and could therefore serve double duty on a hunting rifle.

99% of my match shooting is done between 10-12x, MAYBE 15x if I’m shooting a KYL stage or one with targets at a longer average distance.

I’ve run 18x and under optics plenty of times before and will do it again. I can tell you that you won’t be at any disadvantage if you do decide on the MK5.

Good luck!

Reactions: Bender
I have a friend who shot matches with his USO 25 set on 12x for the whole match. You will have plenty.

26oz in the 3.6-18 vs 30oz in the 5-25 so not a ton of weight difference. The 3.6-18 is about 3.6" shorter if that matters to you. I shot a couple of PRS matches with the 5-25 in the last month (TMR reticle) and spent more time over 18 power than I did below 5 so for me, I'd for sure get the 5-25. If you think you'll have more crossover use hunting on the very low end and that length and weight matter, then I don't think you'd suffer with the smaller version either. Personally I'm loving this scope!