• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mark 5HD Owners - Question

5521BLK_a1

• Wow
Reactions: blksno
I believe the OP. Sometimes you just have the shittiest of luck. Although not sure why he shits on LOW, all of my LOW have been 100% reliable since my first HDMR 10 years ago. That being said I haven’t looked at the new XRS 3 but the new XTR PRO is absolutely amazing, I’d certainly get that before a MK5 unless going for a lightweight hunting rig.

Reactions: Stoweit
What are the turrets "supposed to be like" on the Leupold Mark 5HD? Do the tick marks perfectly align? Does each click correspond directly with tick marks on the elevation knob being directly aligned to the reference mark on the scope tube (i.e., you don't have to spin one click past your destination and go back to get alignment)?

I want to make sure my expectations of a $2,200 MSRP scope aren't... out of line.

Story:
I just received my second Leupold Mark 5HD. The first one delivered to me had a bad turret that wouldn't unlock (without a lot of force) and would only turn just shy of one revolution before getting stuck again on the lock. The tick marks on said elevation turret were also very misaligned -- in fact the entire turret structure below the elevation turret was slightly off vs the reference mark on the tube. I contacted Leupold, they said they'll warranty it. Fine... except I have to be without my brand new scope for (according to them) about 6 weeks. I mean shit happens and Leupold's staff was nice and give me an 2-day shipping label there but... the next 6 weeks for me is the most time I'll have all year to go shooting so I asked the reseller... exchange? Thankfully, after a bit of a "debate", the reseller exchanged it.

Welp... received the new one today. The elevation turret on this one is kind of loose feeling. The tick marks are again misaligned vs. the reference mark on the tube. This time less so... that is until you get to about where the 6 MIL tick is and then the alignment is just completely off. On top of that, when I turn the dial, I have to manually place the elevation knob's tick mark in alignment with the reference mark when I reach my destination (it's like... a gummy feeling turret) -- they don't just line up, you kind of have to go one click past your end point and return once in order to get the tick marks lined up properly.

My Nikon FX1000 is better than this and it cost me 1/4 the price. Most of my hunting scopes are Sightrons... the tick marks line up perfectly all the way around the dial.

Is this how Mark 5HDs are? Or am I just riddled with bad luck here?
I have 3 Mark 5HD. My experience equals most others in that they are the best turret s I have ever used. I like them better than my NF ATACR….,by far.
I think this thread may have turned into a Ford, Chevy, Dodge kind of thing. Best wishes to all!

Too bad. My new mk5 3x18 is pretty awesome. Picked it up for a light weight hunting rig but turrets are pretty good compared to g2 razor, cronus btr...maybe not tt league but still good. Glass is awesome and it's light!

So why are you throwing attitude like a 6th grade girl then? I don't see where you filled us in on anything besides your "I took it out of the box, and now I am mad routine." To which no one probably gives a flying fuck, nor does anyone probably give a flying fuck where you bought it. Mostly I think people are wondering if you are full shit, trolling, or actually hit the lottery and got two bad scopes with the same problem.

In my experience when someone keeps getting something with the same problem, and no one else is having the same problem, its usually the nut behind the scope thats loose.

Probably wondering how you are going to get Burris to make you a Bushnell scope too. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I’m definitely interested in the thread because I’ve been on the fence about buying a Mk5. I’ve read the Leupold stories on other forums too, so while I’d tend to agree it’s odd to get 2 lemons in a row, it still gives me pause on buying one, especially with the staggering number of really good scopes available out on the market now.

I’m definitely interested in the thread because I’ve been on the fence about buying a Mk5. I’ve read the Leupold stories on other forums too, so while I’d tend to agree it’s odd to get 2 lemons in a row, it still gives me pause on buying one, especially with the staggering number of really good scopes available out on the market now.
I have a MK 5 3 - 18 also Burris XTR II i muck like both, was going to get a XTR 3 cameraland has a smoking deal on them. But for the price of a arken i can get what i really want a MK 5 5-25.. I have no worries how did this thread start ? I thought someone took a scope out of the box and the marks didn't line up? For fucs sake when you set up your zero stop line them up you gotta loosen the cap anyway. I have multiple Leopold scopes i never had a problem calling them,or them fixing a 20 year old scope that i banged around to much. Or had any issues with a new scope. For me Leupold and Burris is the way to go. Are there better scopes hell yes,i just have no interest in spending that money.

I have 4 mark5hds and 1 of them was not centered the turret had play. I sent it back to Leupold they fixed the turret in about 1 week and now it like my other 3 are perfect.