• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark 6 3-18 H-58 or CMR-W Reticle?

Seagrave7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Am I limiting myself if I get a BDC reticle? I'm very interested in the Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 . It will be going on a LaRue PredatOBR 7.62 (when these get released.) I'm trying to decided beween the Horus H-58 and the CMR-W reticles. If I ever want to use this scope on another caliber rifle, does having the CMR-W reticle limit this use to only a 7.62 rifle? Thoughts and information greatly appreciated.

Re: Leupold Mark 6 3-18 H-58 or CMR-W Reticle?

I shoot Horus reticles. Have been for about 6yrs now. Alot of my friends do also. Faster second shot correction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seagrave7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I ever want to use this scope on another caliber rifle, does having the CMR-W reticle limit this use to only a 7.62 rifle? Thoughts and information greatly appreciated. </div></div>

Yes, of course if you use the CMR-W 7.62 reticle on a non 7.62x51 rifle then the non mil markings are going to be much less useful.

It won't necessarily LIMIT it to a 7.62x51 rifle, but the whole point of the bottom half of the reticle would be lost.

I voted Horus only because you don't seem to be considering a TMR.

I am planning to try out the CMR-W for both 5.56 and 7.62 in Mark6 1-6X mag for my LMT MRP and MWS.

I would not want the CMR-W in a high mag scope like a 3-18X.

Also, I will not consider buying a scope that does not have adjustable illum.

I would consider the Mark6 3-18X if it had the daytime bright illum that is in the Mark8 1-8X with Horus reticle.

My choice would be a 3-18X with illuminated dot in a TMR style mil hash reticle.

Of your choices, I voted Horus. However, I don't think the Horus reticle is worth the extra cost. I'd wait to see if Leupold offers an illuminated TMR reticle or I would pass and buy something else.

I struggle to understand why they are not releasing this with the TMR reticle. It would be about perfect on a longish range hunting rifle where a Horus or similar would just be painful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProudKiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I struggle to understand why they are not releasing this with the TMR reticle. It would about perfect on a longish range hunting rifle where a Horus or similar would just be painful. </div></div>
+1. The lack of a TMR or similar reticle is what keeps me from going Leupold on a Mark 6 3-18x. Horus reticles are OKay at high magnification, but not at 3-18x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seagrave7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently there is a Mark 6 3-18x44 product id with the Tremor 2.

Leupold 115293

Odd its not listed on Leupold's site as a reticle option. </div></div>

I emailed Leupold about the Tremor 2 Mark 6 3-18x recently, they said there are no plans to sell it commercially at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Commander Shepard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seagrave7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently there is a Mark 6 3-18x44 product id with the Tremor 2.

Leupold 115293

Odd its not listed on Leupold's site as a reticle option. </div></div>

I emailed Leupold about the Tremor 2 Mark 6 3-18x recently, they said there are no plans to sell it commercially at the moment. </div></div>

Theres just not enough consumer interest to sell the Tremor 2. Although there are some floating around for Mil contracts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Theres just not enough consumer interest to sell the Tremor 2. Although there are some floating around for Mil contracts. </div></div>

I'll stick with Bushnell HDMRs until Leupold changes their mind. Not holding my breath on that one.

Frank the turrets are the M5b2 type,not sure if they were louder or just felt more positive clicks every 5 mils, not sure about the windage stops, was very impressed except for reticle choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 33shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think leupold will expand this line to include the TMR and illumination. I believe this scope is a home run for them. </div></div>

I can guarantee it will be coming out with an illuminated reticule as I held one the other day.

Sumpter Steve can you give us more details? Where did you handle an illuminated 3-18? Was it longer then the non-illuminated to allow for the illumination controls on the body? Or was the illumination controls located somewhere else? Did they mention a price or when it would be available with illumination?

So no one has one of these yet? I know that they are out as one was on the for sale section but the owner never took it out of the box

The Horus is a great choice - I've been transitioning over to them exclusively on my scopes. I don't think there is a better way to insure second shot hits. The H58 has so many specific holding points it is really a great system to use. The Tremor is nice as well - allowing for more range estimation points. If you're using a Range finder - the H58 is great.

I am waiting for Leupold to put an illuminated TMR reticle into their M5 FFP scopes. Once they do that, im buying one for each bolt gun I have.