• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mark 8 Replacement

DJX

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2018
Hi,
I sent my Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25X56 M5B2 Illum. FFP H59 #170814 in for repair and they told me that it needs to be replaced. They have offered me a Mark 5HD 5-25x56 M5C3 Illum. FFP Tremor 3 #171777 as a suitable replacement but I'm pretty much free to get whatever scope I want from them since the original one was so expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I would make them add another scope or red dot into the mix. The Mark 8 you had was much more expensive than a Mark5HD…I’d probably go with the 7-35 so you get some more mag out of the package…

I was thinking about it. I really liked the extreme range of the Mark 8 but what can you do? I don't think they will give me two scopes of any kind but I can ask. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: thehun
I’d be like hey listen. The value on a Mark 8 scope is at least $1000 more in MSRP than a Mark 5…can you guys also include a DPP or LCO into the mix…

I had the same situation with another manufacturer and they couldn’t include another scope but they did throw in more accessories to equal the values…

Reactions: DJX
Are they not making the Mk8 anymore? They are still for sale on the website.

I don't understand why they can't replace it with a new one.

What's up with the MK8 series? It seems to have been dropped or shown as discontinued from most retailers despite still being on Leupold's site.

@DeathBeforeDismount was just a hair quicker.

Hi,
I sent my Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25X56 M5B2 Illum. FFP H59 #170814 in for repair and they told me that it needs to be replaced. They have offered me a Mark 5HD 5-25x56 M5C3 Illum. FFP Tremor 3 #171777 as a suitable replacement but I'm pretty much free to get whatever scope I want from them since the original one was so expensive. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Why won’t they replace it with same?

They went MIL only on MK6 and MK8 series I believe. Starting to feel like L3 and Wilcocks

Yeah. Mk4/6/8 are .gov only now…I thought some of the Mark 5HD optics were as well that offer a Horus reticle…

Why won’t they replace it with same?
The rep told me it's old technology and they are just finishing up the last military contracts for it. He said the Mark5HD is the replacement for it.

The MK5 may be a newer scope and have better features but glass wise, its not even close. There is a reason the MK8 cost what it cost.

I would try to get 2 MK5's as compensation. They are fucking you otherwise.

The MK5 may be a newer scope and have better features but glass wise, its not even close. There is a reason the MK8 cost what it cost.

I would try to get 2 MK5's as compensation. They are fucking you otherwise.
Yeah that's what I thought. When I saw the price on the Mark5HD, I told him I would have to call him back. Then I posted here because it doesn't seem right based off the price alone. I can ask but I highly doubt they will give me two optics.

I had a similar situation with Bushnell last year, where I had a FFP 1-8.5x SMRS had the reticle come lose and freely spin inside.
The didn't even ask me...they just sent a letter and a replacement 1-6 SMRS II 2FP which was like 1/3 the MSRP. Not even similar in form/function.

VORTEX of all companies, offered to step up and fix it if Bushy wouldn't.
Thankfully, they (Bushy) found a replacement on the shelf at one of their distributers/wholesalers and I was taken care of...but it took some social media and online posts before they realized their replacement offer wasn't right.

Depending on what the problem is...they should be able to fix it, even if they say they can't...and they should be able to track down a wholesaler or retailer that has one available to replace it with.

If those two options fail...I'd consider a 7-35 and either a coupon or additional product.

Yeah, I'd go MSRP for MSRP with them. As said above, the Mk8 costs what it costs for a reason. There isn't another H59 illuminated in their entire lineup, so you're SOL if that's your reticle and you want it to glow.

The reticle developed artifacts on it. You could clearly seem them when illuminated. Parts that shouldn't be etched were lit up. Lower right corner had some scratches or something that was annoying to look at for a $4K+ scope. I'll call them back tomorrow after I hear from all you. Thanks again for the continued thoughts.

Tell them to get the custom shop running so they can fix your 8.

I really like my Mark 5. I'm not buying anything else until they get the custom shop back going so I can order what I actually want.

Alright, so they have offered me not one, not two but three Mark 5HDs. I am shocked. Now to determine which one's to get. I'm thinking #177333 to replace my Mark 8 (170814). Not sure what else to get though. Maybe something for my SCAR 17?

Easy!

1x 3.6-18, 1x 5-25, 1x 7-35, all with the Lord's Reticle (H59)

Good on them, I'm glad they took care of you. I've always had good Leupold experiences.

Reactions: Two36
I was thinking Tremor3 as it's the newer version of the Horus reticle as I understand it?

No no no

Nooooooooooooo

It’s the same(ish) reticle with a bunch of random TOF dots for Todd Hodnetts wind formula splashed all over it. If you don’t use that, skip the Tremor.

The Tremor 3 also has finer lines than the H59 which makes them pretty hard to see when you’re backed out in the mag range.

Last edited:
Well, unfortunately, they don't make many H59 reticles anymore. Especially not illuminated.
My Mark 8 was illuminated so Tremor3 is my only option now.

Yeah if you have to have illuminated reticles you're screwed on the H59 from Leupold.

Any other suggestions on which three Mark 5HDs I should get to replace my Mark 8?
This is what I was thinking:
Mark 5HD 7-35x56 M5C3 Illum. FFP Tremor 3 - 177333
Mark 5HD 5-25x56 M5C3 Illum. FFP Tremor 3 - 171777
Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 M5C3 Illum. FFP Tremor 3 - 176811

Alright, so they have offered me not one, not two but three Mark 5HDs. I am shocked. Now to determine which one's to get. I'm thinking #177333 to replace my Mark 8 (170814). Not sure what else to get though. Maybe something for my SCAR 17?
Get the one you want then get 2 7-35 with PR2- Mill to sell. Should be able to get $2K each for them.

Reactions: aviumvenator
Well, they backed out of the deal. Instead they are going to send me a check for the MSRP of my Mark 8. Looks like the supply of Mark 8s has dried up so I'm in the market for a replacement again.

Well, they backed out of the deal. Instead they are going to send me a check for the MSRP of my Mark 8. Looks like the supply of Mark 8s has dried up so I'm in the market for a replacement again.
Glad you got to see first hand the shitshow that is Leupold.
Buy a ZCO and see what you were missing.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed. I really liked my Mark 8. Leupold seems to make a really good optic and discontinue it very rapidly. Then offer no direct replacement, only compromises.

I always thought Leupold was the Cadillac of optics. I really like the H59 reticle. Guess I'll have some research to do now on alternative companies and reticles.

Nothing seems to match the specs of my Mark 8.

Closest NightForce is C577
Tangent Theta is really hard to find.
ZCO doesn't make one with an H59 reticle.

ZCO MPCT2/3X will seem pretty familiar for an H59 user

TT H59 in stock

S&B 5-25 H59 in stock