• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark AR

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
Anybody have one or have any opinion? I just ordered one from cabelas using a couple of gift cards I was given. I like the look and design, just wondering about the durability and reliability. I know it cant be anywhere close to the Mark 4 series, but I wont be using it in those critical situations anyway. I figure it is the same as a Mark 2 just different knobs, but it is a lot cheaper than a Mark 2.

Re: Leupold Mark AR

I just recieved one this past Wed.
It is the 3-9 MILDOT.

I have to say that I am very impressed with it.
There isn't any paralax adjustment and I was curious how well that was going to work.
On 3x, everything from 5 yards to infinity is clear and sharp.
On 9x, everything from 25 yards to infinity was good.

Elevation adjustments are crisp, accurate, and has a BDC for the 55gr bullet.
The windage is my only bitch.
It has good adjustments, but it is the standard Leupold hunting type knob that is not able to be zeroed.

Wasn't expecting much from this scope, but it is probably the best optic I've seen yet for its price point.
Too bad I don't get to keep it.
(I odered it for a friend.)

I was looking at the Mark AR (67160 @ $349.95) and the comparable Mark 2 (62910 @ $549.95) and could not really tell the $200 difference. On thier website, they look the same. So yesterday I call Leupold Technical Support and talk to a rep. He hems and haws and then tells me he does not know the difference either. He did tell me the Mark 2 comes with lens covers. Must be some nice lens covers. Finally, he takes my number and tells me he'll do a little research and get back. No word yet. Does anyone know?

The cheaper one is made in China and the other is assembled in the US from Japanese parts?

Just kidding, I actually have no clue. Seems that about half of Leupolds products have become "Mark" somethings
wink.gif

Is their designer named Mark? Or maybe their head honcho?

Impression I get is the Mark series scopes are nothing more than rebadged VX-3's (or VX-2's) with thicker tubes, tactical reticles, and fancier turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Impression I get is the Mark series scopes are nothing more than rebadged VX-3's (or VX-2's) with thicker tubes, tactical reticles, and fancier turrets.</div></div>

Unless things have changed the only MK4 scopes that employ thicker scope tubes are the fixed power models - 10X, 16X, and the old discontinued 6X. All the others are rebadged VX's as you have pointed out.