• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark3HD 4-12

ColtSAA.45

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2017
Beaufort, SC
So I’ve been researching optics to top a 223 bolt gun and this Leupold mark3 4-12 has caught my eye. I’m looking to spend no more than $500 and would like a decent scope that will maximize the 223’s potential. I definitely don’t want a Chinese scope as I’ll probably use this rifle for hunting in rough conditions. This scope seems like it checks a lot of boxes but I’m concerned that the elevation limit is only 5.6 mil. With my rudimentary research this should only allow adjustment out to 700 yds with a 75gr bthp out of a 20” barrel and much less with a 16”.

Do you think this is a major concern? I know 223 is pretty lacking at those ranges but it’d be nice to have the option to crank up to 1000yds if need be. What other good options are in this price range? The vortex strike Eagle looks nice but it’s made in China.

Sightron s tac not made in china, i think you can get them without a zero stop cheep and with a zero stop.

Mark 3 HD is a giant turd, I had that exact model and couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. The limited turret travel is just the beginning of its issues. The reticle is THICK. Thicker than a heavy duplex. The reticle also constantly turned brown. The glass was also fucking terrible, $100 chinesium scopes have better glass.

Sub $500 I would snag one of the 3-15’s that SWFA is blowing out to make room for the new models. They’re Japanese and are excellent scopes.

Mark 3 HD is a giant turd, I had that exact model and couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. The limited turret travel is just the beginning of its issues. The reticle is THICK. Thicker than a heavy duplex. The reticle also constantly turned brown. The glass was also fucking terrible, $100 chinesium scopes have better glass.

Sub $500 I would snag one of the 3-15’s that SWFA is blowing out to make room for the new models. They’re Japanese and are excellent scopes.

Thanks! Yeah the leupold definitely has some head scratching specs. I'm not sure what they were thinking by only allowing for one revolution on the elevation dial. Maybe I could live with that on a 223 but the other aspects you mention are definitely enough to keep me away.

I'll take a look at that SWFA, it seems a lot of what I'm looking for.