• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mark5HD 3.6-18 or 5.5-25x56???

Mxracer532

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
WA State
I'm debating on these 2, I'm torn on which one to go with. Going on a Tikka T3X 7rem that will soon be a 7SAUM with a proof Carbon Sendero barrel. Main use will be as a bear rifle, but will also double as a LR steel gun. I like the idea of the extra zoom but want some opinions.

The 3.6-18x is lighter and more compact, so if that's something to consider if you don't need the extra 7x power at the top of the range. The 5-25x will give you an additional 5.8 mils of elevation if that's important to you.

The 3.6-18x is lighter and more compact, so if that's something to consider if you don't need the extra 7x power at the top of the range. The 5-25x will give you an additional 5.8 mils of elevation if that's important to you.
My other scopes lived on the max power. (24) or (20) 300 would be a close shot for the area it will be hunted in with Max range as far as I feel comfortable.
As for steel I want to able to shoot 1500 or so.

My other scopes lived on the max power. (24) or (20) 300 would be a close shot for the area it will be hunted in with Max range as far as I feel comfortable.
As for steel I want to able to shoot 1500 or so.

18x is sufficient for 1500, but 25x will suit you better if you're primarily using it for that application. I realize it'll be a dual-role optic for you, but I would base the decision on how often you will be using it for whichever application. If it's hunting, you'll probably want the lighter, more compact and wider FOV of the 3.6-18x. Its light gathering ability is very good.

The 3-18 will take you as far as you can go under legal shooting light restrictions if you are talking hunting. But the 56mm will probably be a bit brighter due to 56mm. I’ve had both but not compared side by side.

I'm debating on these 2, I'm torn on which one to go with. Going on a Tikka T3X 7rem that will soon be a 7SAUM with a proof Carbon Sendero barrel. Main use will be as a bear rifle, but will also double as a LR steel gun. I like the idea of the extra zoom but want some opinions.
I have both, the 3.6-18 is on my lightweight Tikka 6.5 saum and the 5-25 is on my 338 NM elk rifle.
Having compared the two side by side extensively here's what I've come up with.
-The 3.6 is awesome but the eye box is a little tighter compared to the 5-25.
-The clarity of the 5-25 is noticably better than the 3.6, again the 3.6 is awesome but the other is really really good.
-Lastly I really prefer the 5-25 for shots beyond 800 yards, especially on small targets.
- if you're really wanting lighter and compact then get the 3.6, for 1500 yards though I'd get the 5-25 for sure.

Both track pretty much perfectly, I've tested them to 50 moa.

I have both, the 3.6-18 is on my lightweight Tikka 6.5 saum and the 5-25 is on my 338 NM elk rifle.
-The clarity of the 5-25 is noticably better than the 3.6, again the 3.6 is awesome but the other is really really good.
-Lastly I really prefer the 5-25 for shots beyond 800 yards, especially on small targets.
- if you're really wanting lighter and compact then get the 3.6, for 1500 yards though I'd get the 5-25 for sure.

What rings/base is on your Tikka?

I ended up with the 3.6-18 but I noticed the same thing as you as far as eye box and image quality.

I would say the 5-25 was brighter too however the 3.6-18 is really awesome in low light.

from the sound of the kind of hunting your doing I would go with the 5-25 only reason I didn’t get it was weight and size!

Reactions: Mxracer532
I am so torn...love the compactness and weight of the 3.6-18, but my main reason to want to upgrade from my 3-9 SWFA is for better low light performance, and if the 5-25 is noticeably better then I don't want to skimp out for $100 and 4 oz. Most of my shots with this rifle are 100-200 yards, though I can't think of one single instance in 3 years that I've shot on anything less than 5-6x. However, longest I've shot even targets is 600, lot of work to do before I'm comfortable past that. Which I was fine with the 9x of the SWFA at that range. I think I've typed myself into just going with the 3.6-18x44.

Anyone had both the MK5 and the SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 and can comment on glass? Is the MK5 completely in a different league?

Reactions: Surferjoe
Yes. If they were villains the Mark 5 is Thanos and SWFA is Wile E Coyote.

Had both. Mark 5’s are fantastic in low light. Leupold knows what they are doing with low light optics.

I would personally go 3.6-18 for hunting. More FOV is you need it and plenty of mag. Ounces is pain for packing around.

Unless you are spot and stalk hunting out West then maybe you run a 7-35 and leave the spotter at home.

Just get one of each

Reactions: ChrisAU
I am so torn...love the compactness and weight of the 3.6-18, but my main reason to want to upgrade from my 3-9 SWFA is for better low light performance, and if the 5-25 is noticeably better then I don't want to skimp out for $100 and 4 oz. Most of my shots with this rifle are 100-200 yards, though I can't think of one single instance in 3 years that I've shot on anything less than 5-6x. However, longest I've shot even targets is 600, lot of work to do before I'm comfortable past that. Which I was fine with the 9x of the SWFA at that range. I think I've typed myself into just going with the 3.6-18x44.

Anyone had both the MK5 and the SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 and can comment on glass? Is the MK5 completely in a different league?
I don't think there's much if any difference between the two in low light performance.
For what you're doing the 3.6 would be a better fit.

Reactions: ChrisAU

Is the 4 oz weight difference betweent he 5-25 and the 3.6-18 really that noticable? Or is it more the size difference that's more noticeable when packing/hunting?

I'm planning on throwing together a light weight 7 SAUM this summer - I'm pretty sure the 5-25 Mark 5 will sit on top. I prefer to have a little more magnification hunting out west and for the few extra ounces, I don't feel like it's a hinderance at all. Seems like an awesome scope either way!

Reactions: Mxracer532
Is the 4 oz weight difference betweent he 5-25 and the 3.6-18 really that noticable? Or is it more the size difference that's more noticeable when packing/hunting?
Really I'd say it's the compactness, if you're going with a lighter quicker handling hunting rifle the 3.6-18 really goes well.

Happen to have a pic of your setup handy?
I don't have my Tikka handy at the moment but here's a pic of my newly assembled 338 Norma Mag LR elk rifle with the 5-25 on it.
I'm about to swap the Leupold rings for the Hawkins lows, my rail is ridiculously high.
IMG_20200208_163724600.jpg

I don't have my Tikka handy at the moment but here's a pic of my newly assembled 338 Norma Mag LR elk rifle with the 5-25 on it.
I'm about to swap the Leupold rings for the Hawkins lows, my rail is ridiculously high.
View attachment 7250518

Thanks. I have a 3.6-18 on order. I may be able to squeeze it on my Cooper 92 on the factory bases with Hawkins Lows, we’ll see. If not I have a Talley 0 MOA rail too.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA