• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mk 4 TMR M5 Vs. Vortex PST EBR-1

D.A.T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Kansas
I know there is alot of people on here who think Leupold has become much more of a name then a quality product. Also Vortex has gained quite a following very quickly due to their product and their customer service. I have a Vortex PST 1x4 Power and like it alot.

I was wanting to know your guys .02 cents concerting these two scopes and why you would pick or did pick one over the other.

To me it seems on paper the Vortex has it beat (zero stop/iluum.) But on paper is not the real world

By the way I am talking the 4.5x14 Leu and the 4x16 Vortex.

Re: Leupold Mk 4 TMR M5 Vs. Vortex PST EBR-1

I can get both right away and the price difference is Right at $406 in favor of the Vortex.

Take the Vortex and 400+ rounds of match ammo. My .02 worth.

The Mk 4 all the way. I have the 6.5-20x50 FFP M5. Great glass.

John

Vortex 6-24 FFP model; similar size and weight as the 4-16 but reviewers seem to think it has a better sight picture. More magnification never hurt anyone either.

edit: I have a mk4 4.5-14x50 (older) and I just got to play around with a newer M5 model the other day. I couldn't tell a difference between them in construction, glass quality of the newer M5 was a little better but it's no zeiss/ior etc. I still vote PST. The only thing the PST gives up to the Leupold is the knobs but that's really personal preference.

Also if glass quality really matters to you MK4/PST are the wrong choices...

I prefer Leupold I recently ordered and checked out a Vortex Viper PST and it was awful compared to my Leupold VX-3 6.5-20X40. Might have gotten a bum scope I have a friend who has seen another one he said it was better but still not as clear as the Leupold. Good luck with your decision.

I have been running a 6-24pst and a 8.5-25 mark 4 side by side. My honest opinion is to get the pst and spend the difference on ammo. Just my opinion but I sold the mark 4 after spending alot of time behind the pst. For the money you cant beat the Vortex.

Might not be the answer you are looking for but I have been running the regular vortex viper against my neighbors leupold VX-3 and they are to close to tell except the price tag is a few hundred dollars cheaper. I just picked up the 4-16x50mm PST and it blows both them out of the water!

Another point for the PST

Having a MK4 M5 6.5-20 right here and having used the PST 20x version I would get Leupold again and again.

PST is good scope for money but not in same league as the Leupold no matter what you drink

I agree. My 6.5-20 FFP M5 glass is great. I have compared it to my IOR and vipers. It is is way better than the vipers.

John

I have read more people having inital problems with the vortex but it seems they were all taken care of with the great customer service they have. BUT I want it right the first time.

I have a US Optics ST-10 (GAP, MIL/MIL, ILUM, EREK) I love it but want more magnification but cant afford to move up to the SN-3.

You guys need to keep it comming though....Still undecided.