• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MK4 16x for long range

sako75

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2007
Scandinavia
Hi guys

I'm considering a Leupold MK4 16x40 scope with the TMR reticle on an army issued Barrett M82A1. Mainly because of the large amount of elevation travel (140-150 MOA). The Barrett has 27 MOA rail and with the Barrett Xrings with 40 MOA it would give me almost 140 MOA of useable elevation. I need all of this elevation because of the need to supress targets in Afghanistan at huge distances.

I would like input from people who have experience with this scope, especially regarding ruggedness, optical clarity for shooting in excess of 2000m, and how the scope is performing when elevation is maxed out with several MOA of windage at the same time. If someone thinks there are better scopes out there to suit my needs, please let me know.

Thanks,
SAKO-75

Re: Leupold MK4 16x for long range

I'm surprised that you did not get any replys.You might try posting on opticstalk. I have no experience with Leupold glass on 5Os, I have a couple of vintages on 30cal bolt rifles and have had no trouble, but this does not help you. I don't know if price is a concern, if not you have a ton of options. If it is you should really check out SWFA's SS 10x HD, 16x and 20x. You could buy all three for the cost of the leupold. If money is no object, look at US Optics... ( I see that others have already suggested the S&B and NF to you back in Feb.)

The 16X Mark 4 is a GREAT scope. Its NOT cheap by any means and will VERY well built.

I used on on a Sig SSG 3000 and it was a PERFECT scope for LONG range shooting.

No really moving parts soo theres NOT much that can go wrong with it.

I can also speak on the SUPER SNIPERS.... They are good scopes too and cost MUCH less... but...reticles are different... as well as the names... just kinda depends on what you really want..

Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA.)

I really liked mine, the farthest I have shot with it is one mile(had plenty of elevation left to go further). Great glass very repeatable. The focus goes from 20 yards to infinity. VERY rugged. The only downfall is the inablity to zoom to a lower power for searching for targets and no illuminated reticle for low light/ night shooting.(although I did do some low light shooting with the 16 Leupold and it did okay) The night force 5.5-22 would be a better choice but the 16x leupold is a close second to me.

I have a buddy that is in an STS officer. He showed me some of his toys that his Sq brought out on a Red Flag deployment and one was a Barrett with a Leupold scope. Not sure if it was the fixed 10x or 16x - but if the Special Tactics guys are using Leupys on Barretts - I'm betting they're good to go.

I have an 8.5 x 25 Leupold on one hunting rifle - 30mm tube side focus, I like it, stood up well on a win 70 300wby w/o a m-break, not sure where the recoil comparison lies with a good MB on a 50

Glass is clear, side focus is very nice, if you want to count points on a whitetail at reasonable distances I am sure it would work - this would be the scope I would pull & put on a barrett if I ever bought one.

Thanks for the answers guys. Money is of no concern here, there are only three things I demand; ruggedness, optical clarity for ELR shooting, and most important, tons of elevation adjustment (internal and/or with reticle). Of course, things like matching knobs and reticle, variable zoom and illum reticle are also important, but not as much.

Just out of curiosity, is this a personal buy or are you specing something for a Swedish sniper unit?

I'm assuming the latter based on this sentence:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need all of this elevation because of the need to supress targets in Afghanistan at huge distances.</div></div>

Why are you re-inventing the wheel? If you are mil - why not piggyback on all the R&D the US mil has done on this subject?

I have used the 16x on a 50cal McMillan and I worked great! Another great fix scope to look at would be the USO ST10 17x. I have used the USO and have really like them also.

Mike @ CST

This is not for personal use, its in a MIL setting. As far as I know the US military has not done any research on this particular subject. Yes, they (like every military) have done some testing of scopes to be able to use the 50 cals out to their effective range. But experiences from recent tours to Afghanistan show that the contacts and enemy present are at huge distances, often surpassing 2000m and 2500m. To hit a human size target at this range is pretty optimistic (the Barretts we have shoot about 1.5 MOA on average with Mk211 ammo at 400m), the idea is more to land a few bullets close to be able to suppress and harass the enemy. This requires scopes with a lot of elevation, much more than found on typical 50 cal scopes in the US and other militaries.

Why are you looking at 'middle of the range' stuff in that case, why not look into some European glass (no pun intended)?

Because the European scopes lack the elevation travel that the Mk4 16x offers. That being said, the S&B 5-25x56 with P4(F) reticle is being considered. It does only provide 26 mils (90 MOA) elevation, but at 15x you can use about 11 mils in the reticle allowing for 37 mils (approx 125 MOA) of elevation.But its still far away from the Leupold.

Anyone with more inputs? Do you believe that the MK4 16x is good enough of a scope for the job? It has the required elevation travel (one of very very few), and thats the most important factor.

I've had and used 16x MK4s on several 338 lapuas and one 300 win mag over the years.It and the 10x are still some of my favorite scopes.They dont get the love anymore because they aren't the latest and greatest.As far as rugged goes IMO they are still right at the top.As you noted it has a ton of adjustment they also have very good resolution.About the only downside to the 16x is they are a little dark compared to some of the top shelf 50mm lens but thats to be expected.The only other issue is on some days 16x may be more mag then you want but it is what it is.Overall I think you will be very pleased with one.

I have 2 of them and my brother has a third, all with the TMR. Tough as they get, Good Glass, and as you mentioned plenty of elevation adjustment. One is on my 338 Lapua, with a 30 MOA base. With 250 grain Sierra Match Kings traveling at 2975 fps. I have Log Book Data out to 2000 yards. That is as far as my Exbal program will generate data. My Zero is at 100 yards, and I am on the 3d line from the bottom on my scope knob at that distance. That should be around 30 MOA Up from the bottom limit. At 2000 yards my Up Elevation is +90.25 MOA. 30 + 90 = a Total of 120 MOA. I still should have another 30 MOA up past 2000 yards.

Windage Adjustment is not quite as big deal as Elevation Adjustment. At 2000 yards with a 15 MPH wind at Full Value, I have a 22.00 MOA correction in my log Book. That is close to all this scope will dial in. That is around 37 feet windage correction at 2000 yards. A correction of 22 MOA would be almost 46 feet at 2500 yards if my math is correct. That is as much as you should ever need. If the wind is blowing harder than that, you are running on luck at those kind of distances.

Here is the Data Sheet information from all 3 scopes. On the Elevation the First number is Up from Center, and the Second is Down from Centered. The Windage is Left and Right from centered. This should give you an idea of what the average adjustment is from a sample of 3 scopes.

Scope #1
Elevation: 80 + 73 = 153 MOA
Windage: 24 Left and 28 Right = 52 MOA

Scope #2
Elevation: 77 + 73 = 150 MOA
Windage: 24 Left and 33 Right = 57 MOA

Scope #3
Elevation: 75 + 75 = 150 MOA
Windage: 26 Left and 23 Right = 49 MOA

In my opinion you would have to spend considerably more money to get anywhere close to a Mk IV M1 16X for long range shooting. With 150 MOA Elevation, and almost 50 MOA Windage you can really reach out using a Big Gun. I like the M1 knobs. They have large enough allen screws that you should have no problem rounding them out making Zero Adjustments. The set screws are 3/32. Request for Leupold to send some extras allen wrenches with the scopes. You might have a hard time getting a 3/32 allen wrench at the hardware store where you live. I would also order a couple allen wrenches with plastic screwdriver style handles for each gun. Drill the handle and use 550 cord to secure the allen wrench to your Log Book. Put the spare away. Leupold has always had good glass. No idea what the Government price would be, I think the normal price is a little below $1,600 US. This scope should be an off the shelf item with minimal lead time to put in service.
For your application on a Barrett for long range shooting in Sand Land, this would be my First and only choice. Anvil tough, and proven in the field from years of use.

How do you feel with the NF 5.5x22 with 100MOA in the turrets and 20 (on full power) in the NP-R1 reticle. Or the 3.5x15 with 115MOA in the turrets and 30MOA in the reticle? They are bulletproof scopes as well.

They are good scopes just a little dated I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are good scopes just a little dated I think. </div></div> Which ones, the Lupey or NF?

The 16x Mark 4 should be an excellent choice for you application. I own one and will NOT part with it. I had an extra one that I got rid of a while back and wish that I had kept it.

I have one on my McMillan 50. It definitely has the elevation and durability and have had no complaints with the glass. I have not had the chance to stretch it out past a 1000 though.
P1010415.jpg

Nice rifle radcustom, and I would go with a variable ffp just to zoom down for target search and crank up for angagement. Just my 0.02.

Luepold 16X MK4's are the ONLY scopes from Luepy that I really like, and would be good for the requested application.

I would however agree with CS Tactical, that a ST17 is worth a look as well.

The only difficulty I see for either setup for the OP is ITAR regs.