• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 BDC turret question

jesseanderson2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I have a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm on my Mcmillan 308. The scope currently has the bullet drop compensation (BDC) elevation turret that is set up for 168gr bullets. I was told the scope originally came with 4 turrets for different caliber bullets. My elevation turret has 1 MOA intervals however I see these scopes with 1/2 MOA BDC turrets being sold. My question is if I find a 1/2 MOA turret from someone that is not using the 308 caliber can I switch it out with my current turret and have 1/2 MOA intervals.

Re: Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 BDC turret question

Good question, I am gonna watch this thread to see the answer. Time to learn!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm on my Mcmillan 308. The scope currently has the bullet drop compensation (BDC) elevation turret that is set up for 168gr bullets. I was told the scope originally came with 4 turrets for different caliber bullets. My elevation turret has 1 MOA intervals however I see these scopes with 1/2 MOA BDC turrets being sold. My question is if I find a 1/2 MOA turret from someone that is not using the 308 caliber can I switch it out with my current turret and have 1/2 MOA intervals. </div></div>

gunswanted,

NOPE, not that simple. Your internal turret cams are set to 1 MOA clicks, changing to a 1/2 MOA turret/dial will not change the internal cams. Your turret/dial is just an indicator with tick marks showing each 1 MOA click. You can put a 1/2 MOA turret/dial on it, but it is still adjusting internally @ 1 MOA per click.

BTW 1/2 MOA scopes from Leupold are called M2's. Your's with 1 MOA clicks is called an M3.

Depending on the age of your scope (post 2007), Leupold can convert your elevation cam from M3 to M2, for a fee.

NO the internals are different. The caps have nothing to do with it. The caps can be taken off by loosening/removing the three set screws and then you'll see how they attach on the inside. If you want a 1/2moa scope you'll need to trade scopes, buy a new one, or send it into Leupold custom shop if they will do it for you. If I were you I would wait till they start doing the Mil/Mil M5 knob conversions.

Thanks for the great info Bobin NC. I will call them tomorrow and run my serial # and see if I'm a candidate.

Thanks again.

Jesse

The M5's are listed in the 2010 catalog I got from Leupold. The custom shop shouldn't be to far behind.

I've shot a 3.5-10 M3 off and on for 19 years. I Love it. You want half MOA, just stop between clicks. Its works fine.