• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MK4 M3 getting on my last nerve

Shady_Jay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2006
I have one of these on an AR15. Bought used because the price was right several years ago.

The elevation and windage knobs are mushy. Like horrible mushy. A Super Sniper has more positive click engagments than this thing. When you run the elevation back down to the 100yd zero you could easily be off 1 MOA due to mushiness.

Is this just the way they are? Or can Leupold make these to be more positive clicks? From what I hear it is just indicative of this model. Anybody own one with positive click engagements?

Re: Leupold MK4 M3 getting on my last nerve

ok cool, it will be worth my time to send it then. I don't know anyone else who has one and this has a Premier Reticle in it I like a lot. Thanks, man.

I sold mine to go to mil/mil
I remember mine feeling "positive" for each click although I thought it was a little too easy to turn, if that makes sense...
crazy.gif

yeah mine you kind of have to really turn the windage and elevation kinda hard to get a click.... like trying to run in the pool

Pull the knob off and try some lube on the O-ring and see what that does before sending it back. Made a world of difference on a MK4 i had..went from mushy crap to nice and crisp.

like break free or regular gun lube?

I don't know for sure, but I bet silicon lube would work well, and won't break down the o-rings....

Oh it's done for. Send it to me and I'll get ride of it for you. Ok sorry. Call leupold they Problay can take care of it. It might take a bit for it's return. But it's Problay cheaper than buying a new scope.

yeah... you can literally wiggle what looks to be a full MOA between each click.. I'll just send it off and see what they say. I got a super sniper laying around I won in a match I'll stick on it until it returns. Thanks yall.

I just used some grease i had that i use to seal my air filter on my dirt bike.... Vaseline, or even KY would work
smile.gif

try it, my clicks were almost gone and it fixed it...

Your lube recommendation gives a whole new meaning to your "bottom metal"

Thanks Glen... I think

is this an exposed knob scope or the older capped knob?

lol

It is the old capped knob Arc

not much you can do. just send it in.its a quick fix under warranty..the real military versions are bad too...

how fast do you run the turrets when winding on? do you crank real fast or let it click from gap to gap?

you have to be nice to this type of thing for it to look after you me thinks

I've actually always just used hold hovers in mils since I have had it. About two months ago I pulled it out at the 600 line. Guess what? Marks only go to 500. Anyway, I know my .223 dope to 600 and dialed and counted clicks to get on at 600. First time really fooling with the elevation knob. Been manipulating it since and it bugs me. I'm hard on equipment but always protect the optic and keep the caps on.

Just mushy. Arc kinda confirms what others have told me.

My m3 10x is not mushy at all.Its not S&B crisp but not bad.

Every Mark 4 I'v ever had / used was like that. And after listening to them tell me they allow about a 5 deg. cant in the crosshair's, that was the end of Leupold for me. I only use NF & IOR now, huge step up from Leupold. They track better, the glass is night & day better, the ill. ret. work's much better, etc., etc..

I have a VXIII 30mm 3.5-10 M3 basically the pre Mk4 version and it's knobs are pretty mushy as well, not horrible but worse than the M1 knob versions I've used by far.

Mine also has the old style illumination knob that is strait in line with the elevation knob instead of offset. Leopold recommended sending it in to have them update the illumination knob under warranty to the new offset style, guess they had issues with the old style.

On top of that the reticule has some cant (which seems to be leupolds SOP) so when I get around to sending it in I'm going to have them upgrade the illum. knob, ask them to address the mushy turrets, and probably have them install a TMR reticule and ask they get do it without canting it.

Vaseline will degrade the O Ring................anything Petro based.

MK4's MAX cant is supposed to be 3*.......................
If it's more, send it back.