• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mk4 spotting scope Pros/Cons?

George Mac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2004
Northern California
I had the chance to use a Leupold Mk4 12-40x 60mm with a TMR at one station at an LE sniper school a year or so ago. A few weeks ago I was spotting for another shooter and they had a the same scope with a Mildot reticle. I was impressed its light weight, compact size and of course the reticle.

Can anyone out there who has spent some time behind one give me some pros/cons on these.

Thanks for your time.

Mac

Re: Leupold Mk4 spotting scope Pros/Cons?

you covered the pros pretty well. light weight, compact size. comes with a nice cover.

the cons are absurd amount of distortion in the glass. it's clear though. eye relief could be a tad better.

it's the best practical spotting scope i know of though. i've had mine over a year and no problems out of it. don't skimp on the tripod/mount if you get one (e.g. manfrotto)

There is one with a HORUS reticle in it also. If you shoot a lot of long range stuff, and are mil based, rather than MOA (OK it still works OK for that, just hafta do math )you'll like it too. Here is a photo of it at a mile, steel plates.

IMG_1025.jpg

Watch the for sale stuff here, there is one every now and then. Good kit for the price!

Taliv,

Could you describe the distortion in the glass and any problems you've encountered with it? I hear you on the tripod. I used a standard spotting scope on a PRS medium Silk once (completely extended while I sat in a chair) and the wind moved it too much to be of any use. I collapsed the last leg length in and it was much better. I had the QD on both a rifle cradle and the spotter. I had to learn the limitations of the gear but it is still an outstanding little tripod to have in a pack for multiple roles. I'd love to get a Gitzo...but then I'd never carry it
smile.gif

Booshay,

That it a great shot...out to a mile! I use mils and the idea of a spotter with mils in it is a great plus. I used a Leica for shooting Highpower but it was a waste for what I used it for. When I tried to use it for work it was too long and awkward with the angled lens. For a field scope for work and play the Leupold Mk4 looks like a winner. Thanks for the feedback.

From my experience you can't go wrong with the Leupold. It dosn't matter which way you go. You can buy the Mark 4, or get a golden ring and get Leupold to put what ever retical you want in it.

As far as tripods I use the 3 piece carbon leg Manfroto. To me it is less prone to break, due to fewer parts. They are not as compact but they have never bothered me. The ball head is nice addition to any tripod. I am using the Jr. light duty grip ball head. Wish I could remember which tripod i use...