• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Leupold Mk4 Vs Horus Vision w/reticle

cold-bore

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2012
Lubbock, TX
Does anyone here have any information on the difference if any in these two spotters? Like everyone else I am looking for a spotting scope with a reticle. Horus lists a Leupold with reticle for $2100 (now sold out).....(was $1600) SWFA and BearBasin both list the Mk 4 w/reticle for $2399 but BearBasin also lists the Horus for $1999

Re: Leupold Mk4 Vs Horus Vision w/reticle

Cold-bore:

That is a shit load of money for a fancy reticle in a spotting scope.

Unless you are stinking rich and like throwing away good money -or- you're deploying to Afghanistan as part of a sniper team and will be making crazy long shots, you'd be better served with spending that money on better glass.

Not some fucked up fancy reticle and blurry-ass glass.

Every time I used a spotter with a reticle I ended up putting the target in the middle of one of the quadrants. Good to see that Vortex is setup in that fashion to begin with.

Most of the time when spotting, misses are close enough to use target width/length as a unit of measurement for the calls. (Example: Half a target width to the left, perfect elevation. Or two target lengths over the top, windage aligned with the right side. etc.) Every time I've tried to give quick adjustments in actual values to most of my buddies they end up taking too long to get the shot off. If a buddy is too far off I'll hop on one of my rifle scopes and measure the miss. Then that gets them close.

I think in order to use a reticle in spotting effectively, you'd have to constantly be practicing and communicating with your shooting partners.

My personal favorite spotters are the Kowa's with the ED lenses.

Good to know the Vortex people are well represented here.

I only had a question about the Mark 4.