• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MK5HD 1-6

Sabre672

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2017
I know I’m probably in the minority, but I wish Leupold would make this in the following configuration in the MK5 series as niche optic for a 5.56 Recce or a 7.62 lighter SPR build. New Leupold MK5HD 1-6, FFP, H27D or similar Horus-ish reticle with a fine center crosshair for dialing, Lockable ZeroStop .1 milrad exposed turrets, daylight bright dot, 17 oz optic. Niche, Yeti, ???. ?

I know I’m probably in the minority, but I wish Leupold would make this in the following configuration in the MK5 series as niche optic for a 5.56 Recce or a 7.62 lighter SPR build.

That right there is why you'll never see this optic. The optic market is already oversaturated with high quality lpvos.

Reactions: beetroot
That right there is why you'll never see this optic. The optic market is already oversaturated with high quality lpvos.

There’s lots of options in every segment of the optics market, so to say there’s no need for another LPVO, is like saying we don’t need anymore 5-25 or 3-18. What in your (or anyone else’s) opinion is the perfect LVPO? One that’s so good that all other scope makers should just give up? I have several LPVOs, and have used at least two dozen over the years. Not one of them was perfect. I’m all for new products.

I for one would love a Mk5 LPVO.

There’s lots of options in every segment of the optics market, so to say there’s no need for another LPVO, is like saying we don’t need anymore 5-25 or 3-18. What in your (or anyone else’s) opinion is the perfect LVPO? One that’s so good that all other scope makers should just give up? I have several LPVOs, and have used at least two dozen over the years. Not one of them was perfect. I’m all for new products.

I for one would love a Mk5 LPVO.
I currently have a kahles k16i, which i consider the best lpvo on the market. Vortex is releasing their gen III 1-10, which may be the new hotness (i liked its weight and controls when i saw one at sheep show). Vortex gen II 1-6 are well built. I also own a trijicon tr24r 1-4 that is a very nice optic in terms of cost vs features. I’ve played with the NF nx8 too, not a huge fan.

Reactions: msstate56
So you want a MK6 with a different reticle?

Essentially. Yes. I like it a lot. New reticle, illumination update and .1 mil turrets instead of .2 mil. What I don't like about the MK6 though is I'd prefer the TMR version that is currently available, but the center stadia is larger and cluttered than the BDC version. So the BDC version is actually more preferable for dialing a more precise shot due to the small dot in the crosshair. But, I'm not a fan of BDC's. The German Born Steiner M5xi 1-5 is very much in line with what I would have liked, sans Horus style reticle, but alas, it has been discontinued and was insanely priced.

I still think there is a market for it if Luppy decides to release this.

this scope it 17 oz. Not many scope out there is this light. K16i comes in mind but I heard it’s not a durable as NF or Luppy. I personally likes the expose locking turret. The only downside of MK6 is the illumation, if Luppy has fixed that problem I’m actually down for it.

Gen 3 is new hotness right now it actually clicks a lot of Boxes but I still think 21.5 oz is too heavy. 17 oz scope is perfect for 556 guns

I still think there is a market for it if Luppy decides to release this.

this scope it 17 oz. Not many scope out there is this light. K16i comes in mind but I heard it’s not a durable as NF or Luppy. I personally likes the expose locking turret. The only downside of MK6 is the illumation, if Luppy has fixed that problem I’m actually down for it.

Gen 3 is new hotness right now it actually clicks a lot of Boxes but I still think 21.5 oz is too heavy. 17 oz scope is perfect for 556 guns

Agreed. I have the new 1-10 and think it is actually a decent weight considering, and perfect for a 7.62 gasser. But I think it's a smidgen too heavy for a 5.56 platform, although I'm sure it would still work very, very well.

Described is just my personal opinon of what I beleive to be a perfect, yeti,niche optic for a 5.56 recce. 16/17 ounces and feature rich. If Luppy would update the MK6, i'd be estatic. I still may lean that way. I'm just concerned that the moment I drop the hammer, they'll drop the optic I really want.

Agreed. I have the new 1-10 and think it is actually a decent weight considering, and perfect for a 7.62 gasser. But I think it's a smidgen too heavy for a 5.56 platform, although I'm sure it would still work very, very well.

Described is just my personal opinon of what I beleive to be a perfect, yeti,niche optic for a 5.56 recce. 16/17 ounces and feature rich. If Luppy would update the MK6, i'd be estatic. I still may lean that way. I'm just concerned that the moment I drop the hammer, they'll drop the optic I really want.

I sold my MK6 for the NX8 and now I wanna go back to the MK6
Hopefully Leupold will release this some time this year, can’t wait

Reactions: Sabre672
I still think the MK6 1-6 is the best all around LPVO on the market, despite being 10(?) years old. Lightweight, rock solid, exposed/locking turrets, 2 good reticles (TMR if primary usage is close up, CMR-W for longer range engagement) and acceptable illumination and eye box. I used to think the MK6 eye box was inferior to the Razor and K16i, but once I actually started practicing and properly dryfiring, that limitation mostly disappeared.

I still think the MK6 1-6 is the best all around LPVO on the market, despite being 10(?) years old. Lightweight, rock solid, exposed/locking turrets, 2 good reticles (TMR if primary usage is close up, CMR-W for longer range engagement) and acceptable illumination and eye box. I used to think the MK6 eye box was inferior to the Razor and K16i, but once I actually started practicing and properly dryfiring, that limitation mostly disappeared.

I'm with you. I've ran a good bit of the premium LPVO's out there and always come back to my mk6. Though I am excited to put my G3 through it's paces once it arrives.

I currently have a kahles k16i, which i consider the best lpvo on the market. Vortex is releasing their gen III 1-10, which may be the new hotness (i liked its weight and controls when i saw one at sheep show). Vortex gen II 1-6 are well built. I also own a trijicon tr24r 1-4 that is a very nice optic in terms of cost vs features. I’ve played with the NF nx8 too, not a huge fan.

Yep- I’ve either owned or used each of those (except the new Gen III). The K6 is probably the best, for me, but I’m not a fan of how they do the illumination. I don’t like the big center dot on the NX8. If it was more like a .5 moa/.1 mil dot I think I would like it much better. I like the features of the Vortex- but it’s a Vortex, which I won’t waste money on.

Currently trying out a new Trijicon Credo 1-6. I like it for a 14.5-16” lightweight carbine. Still not quite perfect, but pretty dang good for that use. Daylight bright, easy to use up close (SFP), with a .5 moa center dot for precise zero, and BDC pretty close (at least out to 300yd). I don’t really think the 8x-10x is needed for a 5.56 carbine. Myself and several “experts” view the 5.56 as a 200 or so yards weapon in actual use (not just range work). If I would expect to need to shoot beyond 300, I’d use a bigger cartridge. However I really do think 6x is great power for enhanced target ID, which is probably your most important factor for duty or defense use.

Last edited:
Still king...
8FE3320F-08B8-49FE-90AB-4DD2B42F8BD5.jpeg

"Currently trying out a new Trijicon Credo 1-6. I like it for a 14.5-16” lightweight carbine. Still not quite perfect, but pretty dang good for that use. Daylight bright, easy to use up close (SFP), with a .5 moa center dot for precise zero, and BDC pretty close (at least out to 300yd)."

To Trijicon actually figured out how to do a real Daylight Bright LPVO?

Would be nice to see a true review, because you just get the :( when you search for Creedo review videos.

The lack of options in the 2-10 range is very disappointing.
I can only imagine that they just aren't popular enough for manufacturers to warrant spending time and money on R and D.

They make a VX-5 and have plenty of good reticles in other scopes. Add mil/mil to the existing VX-5, ditch the gold ring, charge some more money, and you got a Mark 5 2-10

Reactions: kukworld
The lack of options in the 2-10 range is very disappointing.
I can only imagine that they just aren't popular enough for manufacturers to warrant spending time and money on R and D.

Most people are going with a 1-6/1-8 or a 3-15. Honestly I'd pick the 3-15 over a 2-10 every day, you're giving up so little on the bottom for so much more up top.

Reactions: FishinGuns
@chevy_man

Most 2-10s are going to weigh less than a 3-15. I see that as the big difference. I’ve always proposed a 2.5-10x32 mil/mil ffp optic at <18oz would be a perfect optic, especially when combined with an RMR.

@-=boone=-

How does that reticle look at 1x?

Like a red dot. I’ll try and snap a picture tomorrow.

As to the statements regarding a 2-10. The 2.5-8 MR/T was a fantastic scope. If they could keep the size and weight the same I’d buy several. It’s a shame cloners ruined the MR/T scope as far a price.
Anyone giving more than $700-$800 for that optic is a clown. For those that don’t know you can send the MR/T and have it converted to Mil/ Mil for $200.

Mil/Mil 2.5-8 MR/T

0B4C054B-322B-4042-AFE4-D2AA47192320.jpeg

Reactions: Bakwa
Most people are going with a 1-6/1-8 or a 3-15. Honestly I'd pick the 3-15 over a 2-10 every day, you're giving up so little on the bottom for so much more up top.

I somewhat agree in the sense it sits between far more popular magnification ranges.

2x magnification is almost as fast on close range targets as a 1 or 1.5x scope, definitely quicker than a 3-15.
A 2-10 could be made smaller and a touch lighter than a 3-15 also.
I definitely think they have their place, my buddies VX6 2-12 has an amazing FOV on 2x, far greater than my VX6 3-18, and I have a Vortex PST Gen1 2.5-10x32 that's a pretty neat little scope, just lacking the optical upgrades of the Gen 2 PSTs (eyebox, fov etc).

I think there is space in the market for a FFP 2-12x36 mil/mil scope, aimed at both hunters and AR shooters.
Locking elevation, illumination and a reticle that works well at 2x and 12x would be great, basically like the Vortex EBR-9.
The PST Gen 2 2-10x32 is nice but the reticle is far too small on 2x and the illumination isn't bright enough to make up for it.
The Trijicon 2-10x36 Credo looks interesting but the FOV spec on 2x is very dissapointing.

First of all, the Mark 5 HD is a 5x erector line so a LPVO would be a 1-5xwhateverthefuck. Second, Leupold already has a Mark 6 1-6 which is an excellent optic as well as the Mark 8 CQBSS 1-8 which is also an excellent scope. So why would they put the $$ into R&D of another redundant scope?

First of all, the Mark 5 HD is a 5x erector line so a LPVO would be a 1-5xwhateverthefuck. Second, Leupold already has a Mark 6 1-6 which is an excellent optic as well as the Mark 8 CQBSS 1-8 which is also an excellent scope. So why would they put the $$ into R&D of another redundant scope?

Because of a military contract and they have already. I agree on both accounts on the MK6 and MK8. But imo the MK6 could undergo subtle improvements and be almost perfect. Leupold has multiple lineages already, as do many companies. They also have a MK6 and MK5 optic that are very, very similar. So why then execute that? Best call Leupy and help them with their business model and tell them that the wheel has already been invented. “There’s nobody left to kill major. You’ve killed them all”.

Because of a military contract and they have already. I agree on both accounts on the MK6 and MK8. But imo the MK6 could undergo subtle improvements and be almost perfect. Leupold has multiple lineages already, as do many companies. They also have a MK6 and MK5 optic that are very, very similar. So why then execute that? Best call Leupy and help them with their business model and tell them that the wheel has already been invented. “There’s nobody left to kill major. You’ve killed them all”.

The only MK5 and MK6 that might be remotely similar are the 3-18's and they aren't very similar. The Mark 6 3-18 was a POS from the start, those scopes have issues. I had a couple of those things. Mark 5 came about due to Leupold finally pulling their head out of their ass and giving people a product they want and at a competitive price. The reason they didn't just fix the MK6 3-18 and add others to the line was because of the bad rap that scope already had. You sell more shit coming out with a "new" product vs enhancing a older one.

The 3-18, yes , winner winner. I just thought it was implied. Both 3-18, ffp optic, .1 mil adjustments, 3-18 magnification range, similar reticles and footprints. Sure the MK5 is slightly heavier. I’m no optical engineer so I’m sure from an internal standpoint they may be quite different, but to me, as far point of use, they’re identical.

I’ve read about issues with tracking on the MK6 3-18, but it would appear that Leupold has honored their warranty in each instance. I’ve never owned one so maybe They are lemons. But I do know that Leupold has frequently dropped optics from the rosters in the past. So if they haven’t remedied a so-called issue, then why continue it in the lineup, especially when the Mark5 exists...

i’ve also read threads of people having issues with the 1 to 6.... I guess I’m more worried if I were to read about a company not remedying issues then I am about the issue itself.

Very Few concrete details are known about the alleged MK5 1-6, but my initial thread, was a hypothetical offering that IS much different than the current offering. So I guess it’s up to Leupold to answer why they would piss away resources on a new development. My guess would be, based off current offerings in that configuration, it may be a wash. But I also think based off the civi price of the MK6 1-6, they probably don’t sell very many considering the market is flooded with other offerings. Leupolds bread and butter is their sporting optics. I don’t think they will produce a new 1-6, or update the existing MK6, based on civilian demand. Maybe/hopefully I’m wrong. I think the only reason it may come to fruition, will be due to the aforementioned contract.

Either way, as far as I still understand it, this is a capitalistic free market. I for one will be happy to buy “the new shit”, they’re selling, if it has the specs in my hypothetical or is similar to the murmurs of the contract.

I love my MK8 And like the MK6 quite a bit. I can only imagine a MK5, in even a 1-5, would be svelt.

If not, I’ll buy something else until the next hotness comes along...

The only MK5 and MK6 that might be remotely similar are the 3-18's and they aren't very similar. The Mark 6 3-18 was a POS from the start, those scopes have issues. I had a couple of those things. Mark 5 came about due to Leupold finally pulling their head out of their ass and giving people a product they want and at a competitive price. The reason they didn't just fix the MK6 3-18 and add others to the line was because of the bad rap that scope already had. You sell more shit coming out with a "new" product vs enhancing a older one.

"Currently trying out a new Trijicon Credo 1-6. I like it for a 14.5-16” lightweight carbine. Still not quite perfect, but pretty dang good for that use. Daylight bright, easy to use up close (SFP), with a .5 moa center dot for precise zero, and BDC pretty close (at least out to 300yd)."

To Trijicon actually figured out how to do a real Daylight Bright LPVO?

Would be nice to see a true review, because you just get the :( when you search for Creedo review videos.

Since you’re quoting me, I’ll respond but keep it brief as this is not a Trijicon thread- Yes, the 1-6 Credo SFP red segmented circle reticle is indeed daylight bright. I’ve used it looking towards the setting Sun (not directly AT the Sun) and it was plenty bright.

Why does a Mark 5 need a 5x erector? If that's the rules, where's my Mark 4 with a 4x erector?

Reactions: Pointman308
Anyone have an update on what Leupold might have in store for an updated / new LPVO?

Leupold released a short teaser video a few days ago highlighting new tactical scopes for 2021. In the video there are some quick shots of a LPVO, perhaps this is it?

Reactions: rlsmith1
I like the looks of that! Midway has the Mark 3HD as coming soon so hopefully these aren't far behind. Wasn't impressed with the Mk3HD hopefully this has more thought put into it.

My buddy is at SHOT as a vendor and stopped by the Leupold booth to ask about their LPVOs. They said 1-8 has gone Mil only (no surprise, jerks) but they are hoping to announce a 1-8 next year. Hopefully they take their time to get it right (the MK6 1-6 was great). Just FYI

Well at least Leupold stays consistent- always several years behind the current market. Whatever they finally bring out will be a disappointment anyway. I love the Mk5 line, and run several- but the rest of their offerings are sad.

• Haha
Reactions: rlsmith1
Agreed. I don't know what changed with the MK5 line but hopefully they can use those same people on this one. Their latest 1-6 Patrol isn't even a college try at $1500 MSRP

I agree. All they did was put a new name on the VX-6 that has been out for years. Pathetic. I’d love to run a good Leupold LPVO- but they don’t make any. (At least not outside of a MIL contract). They once set the bar with the Mk8 1.1-8 and Mk6 1-6. Then what? Seems like they just gave up.

There is a new scope up on the Leupold site called the "Patrol 6HD" that is a LPVO. No details on a reticle and it looks like a refashioned VX6.

There is a new scope up on the Leupold site called the "Patrol 6HD" that is a LPVO. No details on a reticle and it looks like a refashioned VX6.

Yup...it's in this thread.

I ran a Leupold MRT 1.5-5 in Iraq in 05-06, which I bought for that deployment. Solid optic and I still have it, run it. I have that and a Steiner M8xi which I also really like with the exception for the illuminated reticles which is very anemic on both of them.

Yeah, this has my attention. Any more information?

I'm looking for a LPVO. I've seen mixed reviews on the NX8 and razor gen 3. The ATACR and razor 1-6 are just a bit heavier than I'd prefer.

An updated mark 6 might be exactly what I'm looking for.