• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold MK5HD 7-35 Warranty Advice

g19man

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2012
I am looking for some input. I bought a MK5 7-35X56 PR2 and did a tracking test. It was off ~9%. For example if I dialed 16.2 MRAD on elevation, it measured 17.2.

Sent to Leupold for repair. They called and said it went through repair, but it is still running rich of .12 MRAD at 5 MRAD or essentially dial 5 to actually get 5.12. They said this was in spec. That is 2.4% off. He gave the option to send another scope, but I'm concerned the tracking could be worse on a new one or something else is off.

Any input? Deal with the error or take a chance with another? I guess it really doesn't matter, but it is one more variation I have to deal with.

ballistic calculators can account for tracking error if you input the error. 2% is not bad, actually pretty common in mass produced scopes.

Leupold's service is great in my experience, I'm sure they'll take care of you if you feel this needs more attention. That's said, with 10% there is clearly is a problem, but I've always been told 2% error is considered very good. So I'd say you're doing just fine post-repair. Last class I took, the instructor said most of the scopes tested in class run about 2-3% off, just plug the data into your ballistic calculator, and you're good.