• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MK6 1-6 vs other options?

Mr45auto

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2007
Oregon City OR
I'm an aimpoint fanboi on my AR but my astigmatism is getting the best of me lately. I'm strongly considering selling my micro and magnifier to put towards the MK6 with CMR-W reticle. It's spendy but I can do it if I sell off my Aimpoint stuff. I've tried many optics over the years from the CQ/T to Eotechs, to Aimpoints to a DMS1 and I'm sure a couple others.

I've always gone back to the red dot but I never used to see two of em. So down to the brass tacks. I can spend around $650 more than the aimpoint gear is worth and have a Mk6 and a mount or pocket some money and buy something like a VX-R Patrol or ??? I've handled the VX-R and like it but nobody around here has a MK6. I occasionally shoot carbine matches ( hope to do it monthly this year) and I consider this rifle the one I'd grab if I had to go. I want the most versatile optic I can toss on there without going into debt.

I'd appreciate any input from guys with more experience with newer glass and any actual trigger time with these or similar optics.

Note I do want dials for more precise longer range shooting when the reticle doesnt exactly jibe with the ammo.

Re: Leupold MK6 1-6 vs other options?

I would give the Vortex Viper 1-6 a hard look in comparison. If you like a simple red dot style scope but want to be able to enjoy shooting medium distances with magnification, the Vortex is hard to beat at a reasonable price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winmagfrog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would give the Vortex Viper 1-6 a hard look in comparison. If you like a simple red dot style scope but want to be able to enjoy shooting medium distances with magnification, the Vortex is hard to beat at a reasonable price. </div></div>

x2

I think you mean the <span style="font-style: italic">Razor</span> 1-6
grin.gif

And yes, I would very much recommend taking a look:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9sTU_yVU2o"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9sTU_yVU2o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

If you want a low power variable with a daytime visible dot, the Vortex Razor 1-6x or Leupold VX6 would both be good choices. The Razor is particularly nice.

Going up the expense scale a bit, the Swarov 1-6x is great also. Until the Razor 1-6x was introduced, it was generally considered to be the ultimate 3-gun scope. Still is by many. The glass on the Swarov is crystal clear but both the Razor and Leupold are more ruggedly constructed.

Not sure any of these choices are going to help with your vision problem you describe? If you can, try looking through one mounted before you buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TV-PressPass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you mean the <span style="font-style: italic">Razor</span> 1-6
grin.gif

And yes, I would very much recommend taking a look:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9sTU_yVU2o"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9sTU_yVU2o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Nice. Canadian eh?

I believe I can get the Leupy about $400 cheaper than the Razor. Is there $400 worth of difference between them?

the mk6 is going to be more than the razor by about 400 depending on what deals you get.

I have both, and the mk8. The glass in the mk6 is superior to the vortex, as the vortex I have, and others I have looked through have minor, but noticeable distortion towards the outer edge. the illum on the mk6 however is finicky at best. If you do a lot of 1x shooting and want the red dot to work well, look elsewhere.

the vortex is heavy, but the illum is great, as is the reticle. All a toss up. If the mk8 were daylight visible and a true 1x then it would rule the roost. I'm awaiting my daylight visible USO and the 1-8 S&B should be in my hands around march last I talked to my S&B rep. When I get them all, I will do a comprehensive review.

for now, I think I would be content spending the 1300 or so on the vortex and accept the weight and distortion....not worth the extra cash to me to have a poor illum feature, or a 1.1x with no daylight visible red dot.

I too am I the same boat when it comes to my eyes now days. What I found that works for my needs is the Leupold prismatic tactical 1X scope on my run and gun AR. I can make solid hits on steel out to 300 yards with it. No double image,etc. daylight bright reticle. If you don't need magnification, this little scope really works for me.

For mid range/3 gun AR I recently installed a Leupold VX-6 Multigun scope on my 18" AR. Daylight bright dot. Nice glass for the money. And good build quality. For the price ($900 or so), I am very pleased with it.

Take care,Stan

Going up the expense scale a bit, the Swarov 1-6x is great also. Until the Razor 1-6x was introduced, it was generally considered to be the ultimate 3-gun scope. Still is by many. The glass on the Swarov is crystal clear but both the Razor and Leupold are more ruggedly constructed.

Do know for a fact that the Leupold and razor are actually more ruggedly constructed than the Swarovski? I have taken some Swarovski to Africa and they had the shit beat out of them with out any problems. The PH I hunted with said the are they toughest scope that come to Africa and by far the most used with the S&B a close second for ruggedness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TV-PressPass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you mean the <span style="font-style: italic">Razor</span> 1-6
grin.gif

And yes, I would very much recommend taking a look: </div></div>

Yes, thanks for the catch.

If you can actually get a MK6 for a few hundred less than a Viper, go for it. You can always sell it for enough to fund the Viper later.

I've looked through the VX6, the Swaro and the Viper. For my money, I'll take the Viper. If it was someone else's money, I'd take the Swaro!

You may also want to wait until after SHOT to see what gets unveiled there...

Hi
If you are interested in the vortex call 660-627-2886
and ask for Bryan. I just ordered one of the Vortex razor hd 1-6 and 2 of the razor 5-20x50 and you wont find one any cheaper any where else. He also sells Nightforce,Zeiss, Meopta, Sworovski, Schmitt and Bender, Leupold. Make sure you tell him Richard Gunnels told you to call. Also tell him that, that Richard he is a good son of a bitch isnt he. He will probably get a laugh out of that.

Get eye on, or through one rather if you have an astigmatism. I had one and could not see well through it due to barrel distortion or "fish eye" on the lower end of the power spectrum. It's a very nice scope but it didnt work for me.