• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold MR/T or Nightforce NXS?

gunz213

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
My CZ 527 came back from getting it's new barrel installed and I need to pick out a scope for it. I plan on shooting varmints and a bit of long range work out to about 600 yards. It is a fairly compact rifle so I don't want a huge scope and I have been looking at the Leupold MK4 2.5-8 M2 with the TMR reticle.
Has anyone used this scope and will it get the job done or should I sell a couple of guns to scrape thgether the extra $500 for a Nightforce?

Re: Leupold MR/T or Nightforce NXS?

I dont know if its a parallax thing or an optical clarity thing...I could never shoot the MRT every accurately. They say that you dont need parallax adjustment on that variable range but I grouped better with the 3-10x M3 on the same rifle..take it for what its worth...(maybe its that punched out area on the TMR reticle I hate...) THe nightforce is definitely a nicer scope but after you get a decked out model its gonna cost alot more.

For the additional money spent on the NF, you really get a much better optic with better glass, better durability/dependability, more power (2.5-10x24 or 2.5-10x32), better reticle selection, zero stop (if you want it), a greater internal adjustment range...the list goes on, but you get the idea.

if you are predominatly shooting pdogs/varmints dont bother with either just get a leupold vxIII 4.5x14 and get either varmint hunter reticle or send it in and get target knobs and tmr or vh reticle put in.

you don't need a nightforce for what your doing, if you want one get one but it is not needed and way heavier.

I have both NF and Leupy's and if you can afford it i'd spend the extra $$$ and get a NF. You'll never be sorry you did.

Had TMR and had a hard time shooting groups as small as the regular mil dot. TMR is nice but found the hash marks hard to follow on movers. Would prefer the centers to intersect, mil dots with .5 mil tics if I had my choice. That being said the next 6 scopes we get will be Nightforce. Have had some issues over the years with Leupys breaking erector springs. Leupy always covers it no questions asked, but just time for a change.

If you are talking retail price for either, I would buy the NF. I am not a huge Leupold fan, but for an optic (used) in the $700 range, an MR/T is tough to beet.

Get what you can afford and learn to use it.both scopes are proven to be good equipment.