• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold or Nikon for 300 yards max

ronnielee54

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2012
Arkansas
Recently traded for a Ruger M77 MKII VT in 223 caliber. This rifles primary use will be target shooting at 300 yards max. Right now I have a Nikon Prostaff 3X9 on it that I had been using on a 10/22 that I am fixing to do a build on. With Fiocchi 223 55gr FMJ I can get 3 shot groups about the size of a dime at 100 yards using a Bulls bag front rest. I am trying to decide between a Nikon M223 4X16 or a Leupold Mark AR 6X18 to put on this rifle. I currently have a Nikon M223 2X8 on My Loki AR and like it quite a bit but it just doesn't give my 58 year old eyes enough magnification at 300 yards. The Nikon has side focus as opposed to objective focus on the Leupold but that is not a big deal to me. I am more concerned with magnification and clarity. The gun club I belong to has a max range of 300 yes and I have zero access to anything longer. I plan on zeroing this rifle at 300 yds and will use the AR for 100, 200, and 300. I have zero experience with Leupolds and have no access to the Mark AR to check it out. All I have ever owned is Nikons. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Re: Leupold or Nikon for 300 yards max

not exactly what your looking for but on my savage 12 in 223 i put a weaver superslam 4-20x50 side focus fine x dot for target shooting. sometimes a standard duplex covers a small target at 300. also i prefer a 1/8 click value to really dial it in at that range.

I have the M223 in 3x and in the 1-4x. I use a Monarch 4-16x with both the BDC and Mildots. Either reticle works great its personal preference and it depends on the use. They even sell and 8-32 if your looking for a little more power. Myself I like the 1/4 moa since its fine enough for shorter distances. 1/8 moa you can run out of adjustments if you start getting far out there.

I understand old eyes. You should use variable power, but would recommend at least 24X. You didn't mention if you want mil/mil, MOA/MOA or non matched reticle and knobs. I have found Leupold MK4 with TMR reticle and SWFA SS scopes to have excellent glass for the price. Vortex Viper PST 3-24X also gets good reviews, but I have never used one. Might get a good deal on a used one here at the Hide.

IMHO, given your list of requirements and where you'll be using it, leupold AR 6x18. The Nikon would work, any number of scopes would work, but the Leupold the best of the two in my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mt Al</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO, given your list of requirements and where you'll be using it, leupold AR 6x18. The Nikon would work, any number of scopes would work, but the Leupold the best of the two in my opinion</div></div>

Agreed. I have a 1-4x on one ar15. Good glass for the money.