• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold problems

ksp 498

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Lexington, KY
I just went to a school and had a problem with my Leupold 6.5x20. The scope is a older Mark 4. Once zeroed at 100 yards its is dead on. Then move back to 200 and it shoots about a inch right. Then move back to 350 and then close to four inches right. Group size was still half MOA. My buddy that went with me had the same problems. My buddy used 1 MOA left windage to fix the problem. However there was no wind on the range, we measured. First I know it was not a shooting error. Instructors even watched to see if I was jerking trigger, milking the grip, etc. I even dry fire in between shots. The instructors stated that they have had the same problem with the scopes. They stated that if you adjusted the parralax at different ranges it would happen. I did adjust it before shooting and everything was clear, and no shadowing. Then shot four inches right. I then went back to the 100 yard line and adjusted parralax, since it was my zero range. Then I returned to 350 and I was now only two to three inches right, but picture was blurry. The scope has the newer side focus. Anyone else had these problems? The guys that taught the course stated that they had the same problems. Any solutions? Issued rifle so buying a new rifle is not a solution at this point. Thanks

Re: Leupold problems

i would try setting my parallax and Magnification to 10x, then zeroing at 100yds and then shoot at 200yds and 300yds without touching the parallax or magnification. That will confirm if its your parallax or you. Remember, small quirks or incorrect habits will show themselves and be more pronounced the further the distance. Im not saying its you but I'd check just to be 100% sure. If there is something wrong with it Leupold will fix it.

Did the buddy that went with you that had the same problems shoot your gun or a different one?

Sounds like a shooter problem to me if it's two different guns.

And, no, this is not a common problem with this scope, I have several of them.

You said your buddy went with you and had the same problem. Do you mean he had the same problem with "your" rifle and scope? Or did he have the same problem with his rifle and scope? When you move to a different range, are you dialing the scope?

If your buddy was having the same problem with your setup, and ya'll were dialing, it makes me wonder if the scope is canted. I guess it could possibly be tracking like it was canted. If You, your buddy, adn the other guys at the range are having the same problem with multiple rifles, makes me thing there's some wind or something that you're encountering before the bullet gets to the target, that isn't presenting itself where ya'll measured.

I take it that you are not using holdovers but are dialing it in at 2, 3, 400? If so are you sure it's level in the mount? I had one do something similar and it was cockeyed about two degrees to one side.

However, I have heard of parallax and magnification adjustments doing that. If you can't figure it out just send it in to leupie, they've fixed all my broken ones so far.

I'd be inclined to think that the scope was canted in the rings. 1 MOA is not a whole lot. It may be an issue w/ the parallax but I'd be more inclined to think the mount was off a twitch.

Cheers,

Doc

My buddy is having the same problem with his gun and scope. However it is the same setup as mine (Leupold 6.5x20). We are dialing MOA corrections when we switched distances. I will try and check to see if it is canted.

ksp 498, was your buddies gun the same caliber? Sounds like wind drift. I know you said that you measured, but I'm sure that you do not have men positioned down range as your taking shots measuring wind. I have never been to a range in my life that had no wind. If both rifles both shot the same amount of distance off POA I would say again, it's the wind. If parallax was adjusted wrong I would think the groups would be huge. You should adjust your parallax incorrectly to see what I mean. You will know it's wrong when you just slightly move your head and watch your reticle wiggle or almost shimmer.
also think your scope could be canted, as others have said. The best way I have found to mount scopes, if you have a one piece base, is to stack feeler gauges on top of the base under the flat on the scope. Maybe somebody can post a picture of this, my descriptive writing skills are lacking.
If both rifles shot the same distance off and are the same caliber with same or similar loads, I say the wind. If it's different I bet the scopes are canted in the rings.

Wheeler Engineering has a nice set of levels I've used along with a 10" carpenter type level that works great for mounting scopes. Wheeler's levels are not that expensive. I think I paid 25 bucks for mine at a gun show a couple years ago. PAT.