• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold question

dreamdrummr

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Hammond, Louisiana
Lets try this again since I first posted this in the wrong forum.....

Hey guys
I have an older (about 20 years old) 6.5-20X40 AO Leupold and was wondering if I would be able to send it to the factory and get target turrets added?
What do yall think about this idea? Also, if this is indeed possible for a fair price, would anyone have advice on model, etc?
Please dont laugh, I'm still learning about target scopes and stuff...
Thanks!
Jimmy

Re: Leupold question

It may not be worth it. If you like the optics in the scope then it may be worth it to you. The optics on scopes today are SOOOOO much better that, you may find it more practical and economical to find a VXII with the features you want. FWIW

Hunter

I've sent several Leupold scopes in for target turrets so I guess I think it's worth it. There should be no problem putting them on your older scope. For more information, you can call or e-mail Leupold or peruse their web site in the Custom Shop area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dreamdrummr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lets try this again since I first posted this in the wrong forum.....

Hey guys
I have an older (about 20 years old) 6.5-20X40 AO Leupold and was wondering if I would be able to send it to the factory and get target turrets added?
What do yall think about this idea? Also, if this is indeed possible for a fair price, would anyone have advice on model, etc?
Please dont laugh, I'm still learning about target scopes and stuff...
Thanks!
Jimmy </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Jimmy</span>,

Since you have a 6.5-20X 40 A.O. that old it is a Vari-X III (the Vari-X III is the predecessor to the VX-III, just as the VX-III is the predecessor to the VX-3). Leupold can install their Target Knobs (both the Tall Target Knobs with Covers and the Tapered Target Knobs without Covers) on any Vari-X III scope. And - AFAIK, just about any of their non-illuminated reticles in the same. I believe that they can also install the M1, M2, and M3 turrets but you'd have to call Leupold to verify. Over the last twenty or so years I've had both the Leupold Custom Shop and (once-upon-a-time) Premier Reticles install the Tall and Tapered Knobs, 1/4 MOA click adjustments, and change reticles on more than half a dozen scopes. I've also had Leupold "renew" beat-up scopes by replacing main tubes, lenses, and objective and ocular bells.

Its' been many years since I've had any work done by the Leupold Custom Shop, but I called to ask about installation of a Mildot reticle in a Vari-X IIc 4-12X 40 A.O. about a month ago and I was quoted $159.00 including return shipping. I think the Target Turrets run about $110.00/pair with return shipping. The Tall Target Knobs with Covers are nice but they are sort of high profile (about 1.25" tall) to clear the adjustment knobs themselves). You also have to worry about losing the covers, as they need to be removed to make adjustments. The Tapered Knobs have the increments etched directly on them so. Internally, the mechanics are the same. Depending upon the purpose of the rifle the scope will be mounted on you may prefer the Tapered Knobs without Covers because there are no Covers to lose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may not be worth it. If you like the optics in the scope then it may be worth it to you. The optics on scopes today are SOOOOO much better that, you may find it more practical and economical to find a VXII with the features you want. FWIW

Hunter</div></div>
Actually, even though <span style="font-weight: bold">Dreamdrummr's</span> scope is about 20 years old, since it is a Vari-X III the coatings are probably equal to a (newer) VX-II scope. The Vari-X III design is superior to the Vari-X IIc, and the VX-II is the direct descendant of the Vari-X IIc. The VX-II replaced the Vari-X IIc when the Vari-Xs' were replaced with the VXs' circa 2004.

Keith

Hey Aries...
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.
I've tried to email Leupold 3 times since wednesday (3 days ago) and have yet to answer.
I like the scope that I have, and cant decide if I want to get it tuned up from the factory, or just bite the bullet and get a new one. I bought a zeiss conquest in 3-9 X 50 with my gun. I just wish I would have bought a stronger scope. Its pretty clear, but the reticle is a timy bit big for me. The leupold has the fine reticle.
Decisions decisions decisions.....