• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Reticle Mismatch with TMR & MOA Turrets

Ltdshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2007
Michigan
Question for all you in the know about a potential problem.....

I've just picked up an earlier like new Vari X III 4.5x14 Tactical Scope - Model Number 53545. It has a Duplex Reticle and I'd like to have it switched over to the TMR by their custom shop. If I go that route then I'll have a Mil Reticle and MOA adjustments as the Mil Turrets are not available as an updrade for the older scopes. Has anyone ever gone down this road and what grief if any did it cause for you? I'm thinking I'll have a bit of a challenge with converting my MOA adjustments on the Mil Reticle when I starting dialing into something. Might be a constant state of confusion! I'd sure like to hear from anyone who might have tried this and what issues or success they had....

Re: Leupold Reticle Mismatch with TMR & MOA Turrets

Up until a year ago, all of my scopes were mis matched. You can make due without issue. 0.5 mil = 1.75 moa. A full mil = 3.6 moa. Spot the shot, do the calculation and make the adjustment.

I have a cheat sheet converting Mils to MOA. Like mentioned, read the shot, take a gander at the cheat sheet, and make adjustments..

More times than not though, I just follow up by holding vs dialing, unless I really screwed up.

Just get used to having to use a sheet or calculator when you shoot if you aren't fast at math. My buddy just mounted and is testing his old Leupold Mk4 TMR Mil/MOA on a new rifle. I was spotting for test shots in the field.

First shot, gave him a quick 7 Mil down elevation correction. Dead silence and we both laugh as I completely forget his adjustments were MOA. It's quick enough to convert to 24 or 25 MOA, but every split second counts on a windy day when it shifts every few seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Up until a year ago, all of my scopes were mis matched. You can make due without issue. 0.5 mil = 1.75 moa. A full mil = 3.6 moa. Spot the shot, do the calculation and make the adjustment. </div></div>

Is this only capable with a Second Focal Plane reticle? If, with a mil reticle the shot is being taken at 300 yards and the hole is 1 mil low then that would be 4 clicks of a 1 moa per click turret, and then hold .4 low?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paradude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Up until a year ago, all of my scopes were mis matched. You can make due without issue. 0.5 mil = 1.75 moa. A full mil = 3.6 moa. Spot the shot, do the calculation and make the adjustment. </div></div>

Is this only capable with a Second Focal Plane reticle? If, with a mil reticle the shot is being taken at 300 yards and the hole is 1 mil low then that would be 4 clicks of a 1 moa per click turret, and then hold .4 low? </div></div>

The mk4 is a SFP scope so, all measurments need to be taken at max magnification. In your example, if the impact is 1 mil low (at ANY distance), you would dial up, 3.5 moa or 14 clicks for the follow up shot. With that dial, you would also hold 1/10th of a mil high.

If you had a FFP scope, you could make that measurment at ANY magification (that you could detect an impact with) and have confidence that it is an accurate measurment.

I forgot to say, I have the M3 turrets. 1 click = 1 MOA. I do like the different measurements that can be taken with just the TMR to make each shot hold precise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paradude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I forgot to say, I have the M3 turrets. 1 click = 1 MOA. I do like the different measurements that can be taken with just the TMR to make each shot hold precise. </div></div>

Then yes, come up 4 clicks and hold 0.4 mils low or, dial 3 clicks and hold 0.6 mils high.

You could also just hold 1 mil high or dial 7 moa and hold 1 mil low. Lots of options here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mk4 is a SFP scope so, all measurments need to be taken at max magnification. In your example, if the impact is 1 mil low (at ANY distance), you would dial up, 3.5 moa or 14 clicks for the follow up shot. With that dial, you would also hold 1/10th of a mil high.

If you had a FFP scope, you could make that measurement at ANY magnification (that you could detect an impact with) and have confidence that it is an accurate measurement. </div></div>

Why do I have to be at maximum magnification? Sorry I am asking so many questions but I am new to long range shooting and trying to wrap my head around this.

If the reticle is in the second focal plane, the reticle will constantly stay the same size making adjustments easy comparing the impact vs the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paradude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do I have to be at maximum magnification? Sorry I am asking so many questions but I am new to long range shooting and trying to wrap my head around this. </div></div>

On a mk4 SFP scope, the reticle is only accurate at max mag. You could dial down to 50% of your mag and double the measurment but, unless you know EXACTLY where 50% is, you'll introduce unwanted errors.

This is where a FFP scope shines because the reticle is an accurate measuring devise at ANY magnification.

I would look into Mr. Darrell Hollands ART reticle systems. If memory serves me correct he has reticles in MOA and his work does not void your warranty on the scope. Just my .02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghostcoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look into Mr. Darrell Hollands ART reticle systems. If memory serves me correct he has reticles in MOA and his work does not void your warranty on the scope. Just my .02.</div></div> I second this idea.

Make a target with a central aiming point and then place a second dot 3.6" & 7.2" (1 & 2 mils) to the right or left of that central aiming point. With your scope at max mag, the 1st dot will line up with your 1st mil dot or with the 1 mils mark on your TMR at max mag.

Assuming you have a 6.5-20 SFP mk4, dial your scope down to 10 x. The reticle is the same size but, the target is now smaller. Now the first dot lines up with the TMR's 1/2 mil mark and your farthest dot lines up with the 1 mil mark.

With a FFP scope, the target and reticle get smaller and their relationship stays the same. 1st dot @ 1 mil, 2nd dot @ 2 mils.

Apples and oranges. Reticle for holdover. Dial for dialing.

If your dialing, dial as close as your dial allows.

If you're holding over, the mildots are just hack marks to let you reference the amount you hold high.

200 yard Zero dead center, .5 for 300, 1.25 for 400, 2 for 500, etc. Give or take depending on velocity.

Your ballistic chart should have 4 columns or rows depending on how you lay it out: range, inches, MOA, Mil

Why not make the scope a true MOA/MOA? Since a SFP scope reticle is only accurate at one specific magnification, let that magnification be the one that yields a true MOA figure.

If the TMR reticle has .5 mil hash marks at 14x, then the hash marks will be 2 MOA at slightly less than 14x. (Approx 12x but needs to be tested, the mag ring markings are not precise from the factory) Due some testing on a grid at a measured 100 yards to find this exact power setting (20 MOA=21"@100 yds)then use a silver sharpie to make an index mark on the scope. True MOA/MOA scope - no conversions or guess work required for future use.