• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Leupold sale on Promotive

BX1129

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2009
Lost in the Woods. MO
Guys,
Just got an email from promotive. There is an additional discount on MK8, the MK4 34mm with M5 Turrents and the new red dot sight from Leupold. This week only. So for all the Mil/LE here, take a look. Very good prices.

Re: Leupold sale on Promotive

I've been looking at those for a couple months, this is going to push me over the edge. The only thing that's bothering me is I'm deployed and I can't look through any of the newer Leupold offerings in person. There is also a lack of first hand information on newer models. Any feedback on the quality vs Nightforce? For the Promotive price it's hard to pass up.

Mc,
Where are you brother? The 34mm Leupold is nothing like the 10x fixed on the M24 that we have been using. Totally different animal. For the price we are getting the 34mm Leupold M5A, I really don't see a reason to dish out extra $ for the NF.

With the 10% Military Discount at US Optics you can get a SN-3 3 to 17 for a few hundred dollars more.

I was very tempted to take advantage of this sale. I got a chance to look through one last week and decided on the Nightforce. It's an improvement for Leupold but the still have some catching up to do if they want to compete in that price point. I

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was very tempted to take advantage of this sale. I got a chance to look through beast week and decided on the Nightforce. It's an improvement for Leupold but the still have some catching up to do if they want to compete in that price point. </div></div> I am the opposite, I liked my 3.5-10x40 with M5 knobs better than the NF offering and I got it for a ton less than the NF.

Sorry for the poor grammar. Trying to type on my phone isn't easy with my gorilla hands. The Leupold is only worthwhile if you can purchase it at the LEO/MIL discount. Otherwise I think It's outclassed.

swage I'm curious what you think makes a Nightforce outclass the Leupold.

I don't think the Leupold 3.5-10x is outclassed by a comparable Nightforce 2.5-10x, its a wash for day time target shooting and with the Nightforce reticle choices - you depend on batteries when there are dark/bad conditions, dark targets partially concealed in low light, etc.

If you were going to be hunting animals or people what would be the advantage of the Nightforce?

Danny-

The average retail price for the new Mark IV M5 versions with the locking turrets ($2,279) puts it in the same price range as a Nightforce F1 ($2,290). While Leupold does come with 1/10th MIL clicks it lacks a zero stop, illuminated reticle and has lower quality glass in my opinion. The clicks also felt less positive to me. For $11 dollars more I'd pick the F1 again and again. I am able to get the LEO/MIL discount which is why it was tempting. I realize however that not everyone is able to get this pricing. It's only worthwhile if one can get the deeply discounted price. Otherwise it's outclassed by the NF F1. It's a step in the right direction, but they still have some catching up to do.

I wasn't thinking about the 2 lbs. scopes discussed at the top, Nightforce would probably be better there at the same price. The FFP reticles seem a lot better than the older ones in the smaller/SFP models but I've never looked through an F1. With the other models I just don't like the thin reticles that have become popular for tactical scopes over the past x years.

Same thoughts looking at the 1.1-8x MK8 with horus reticle, all you have is the center circle if it's not daytime with nice uniform targets against a simple background.

I have compared NF 3-15 F1 and the new MK4s 6-20 side to side, and frankly, the glass didn't seem like that much different. Even if the edge goes to NF, it would not really be a complete knock out against Leupold. For the promotive deals, I believe it's worth it if you can get the discount. Street price, I would steer people to NF.

Being deployed has hurt my researching ability also!!!

I'm looking to upgrade the current optic on my .300WM and would love a USO to add to the collection.

Who is good to talk to about getting an optic from USO or if maybe I'll get another NF? I just need to find a decent price.

Am I talking to the wrong guys at NF ... no leo discount -> pushes the pencil deal to Leupold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Danny-

The average retail price for the new Mark IV M5 versions with the locking turrets ($2,279) puts it in the same price range as a Nightforce F1 ($2,290). While Leupold does come with 1/10th MIL clicks it lacks a zero stop, illuminated reticle and has lower quality glass in my opinion. The clicks also felt less positive to me. For $11 dollars more I'd pick the F1 again and again. I am able to get the LEO/MIL discount which is why it was tempting. I realize however that not everyone is able to get this pricing. It's only worthwhile if one can get the deeply discounted price. Otherwise it's outclassed by the NF F1. It's a step in the right direction, but they still have some catching up to do. </div></div>

The leupold has a zero stop and windage stops. I have one and it is an excellent value for the money. I would still buy it at MSRP prices over the F1 just because it offers more magnification and feels more robust.(I also like the conventional magnification ring) However when the NF "Beast" comes out I am sure that will have the upper hand.

What is this this beast you're referring to?

So I called Leupold and asked for a few more details. One of the things the CS rep said was that they do batch testing as opposed to testing each scope like Nightforce. On the other hand Nightforce doesn't seem to really have much of a military discount like Leupold. It's actually not that important to me anyway. I'll be able to fully test any scope I get for personal use and if there's anything wrong the Leupold has a lifetime warranty.

At a recent sniper course I did we had guys shooting older second focal plane Leupolds, the newer illuminated Leupolds that come with M110s, second focal plane Nightforces, and the new F1 nightforces with H-58 reticles. Some of the F2 Nightforces had calibration problems which resulted in inaccurate range estimation. As far as glass quality the Nightforces were great and the newer Leupolds were almost as good. The Leupolds weren't as bright but they have a much smaller objective so it wasn't an apples to apples comparison. All in all shooter skill was way more important than what type of glass they were using. The second place team was using older Leupolds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkmckinley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking at those for a couple months, this is going to push me over the edge. The only thing that's bothering me is I'm deployed and I can't look through any of the newer Leupold offerings in person. There is also a lack of first hand information on newer models. Any feedback on the quality vs Nightforce? For the Promotive price it's hard to pass up. </div></div>

I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle comparing Leupold to Nightforce when you have promotive pricing.

I'm from an Army background and I've used a lot of Leupold. The Leupold product works, it's light, and it is rugged.

I have had USO's I've used S&B's and Ior's and I like Leupold. The S&B would probably get my vote if I could afford it, but it's out of my price range.