• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Scope Magnification Question

USAF SP

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Western Washington
Looking for a little advice. I currently have a Leupy MK 4 4.5-14X50 on my Savage 10 FCP-McMillan 308. I plan on putting that scope on a SA Super Match I just picked up. I want some more magnification for the bolt gun and am 80% decided on getting the Leupy Mk 4 6.5-20. Question I have is there a good argument to be made to opt for the Leupy 8.5-25?

The majority of my shooting is at 600m and in. I do have the opportunity to shoot out to 1000m a couple time a year. I haven't competed in any local matches (only military stuff) but I plan to eventually. All my shooting is just recreational or with the teams I help train before they deploy.

I am a fan of Leupold, I've been shooting them for years, have them on all my rifles, and have never been let down by one. I am also comfortable with SFP and mil dots.

Any comments/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Rich

Re: Leupold Scope Magnification Question

I own both scopes, and the 6.5-20 is my go to scope for anything closer than 1400yds. I only need the added extra power that the 8.5-25 at TVP in Ohio while shooting their 1760yd range. There will be a lot of people who will tell you that you really only need 10X out to 1000, but that depends on target size and personal preference....

JM2C