• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Scope Questions/ID/Value?

ORD

Montani Semper Liberi
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2005
Morgantown, WV, USA
Okay guys,

Stupid, "I-should-already-know-the-answer-to-this-question", question time.

A fella that I do some work for from time to time just brought some stuff to my office that he's looking to sell or trade to fund his latest "business misadventure" (a.k.a. - DIVORCE) and to possibly trade to me for some other work he needs done (not the @#$% divorce thankfully).

The item in question is a Leupold 8.5-25x50 scope, matte finish, M1 turrets (1/4 MOA), mil-dot reticle, SFP, etc. He says it is a Mark 4 and that he paid Mark 4 money for it in 2004 and his idea of the trade value seems pretty out-of-the-ballpark to me. Here's the crux...I don't think its a Mark 4 at all. The box (which he says is original to the scope) says "Vari-X III 8.5-25x50 LR M1, Matte" with a product/item # of "54690P." The scope itself is a black-ring model marked "Leupold Vari-X III 8.5-25x50 Long Range Tactical." The bottom of the scope is NOT marked MARK 4, but instead has just the serial number and Made in the US markings. I researched the item number for it and I am only finding indications that it IS a Mark 4, but the age of the scope and the differences on the box make me think otherwise.

Can anyone confirm the exact nature/model of this scope (I assume it is NOT a Mark 4 since it is NOT marked as such anywhere on the scope, box or materials, but instead it is a Vari-X III Tactical)? Also, given that my Leupold knowledge and history is a little weak...what would a fair market price for this scope be for the scope in excellent condition, with box and all manuals/paperwork/blank warranty card, lens cloth, BC Covers? I searched the PX, but didn't really turn up anything other than confirmed Mk4 scopes in recent (last few months) sales.

I have no interest in this scope whatsoever, but depending on its total value, I may work with this guy on a trade for my professional services and then part with the scope here for cash value or a trade for some things I do need/want.

Thanks in advance for any info/assistance.

Re: Leupold Scope Questions/ID/Value?

They didn't make Mark 4 variable scopes back then, it's what the Mark 4 was before they renamed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They didn't make Mark 4 variable scopes back then, it's what the Mark 4 was before they renamed it. </div></div>
+1. I'm not sure at what point they became Mark 4's but I recently sold a 3.5-10 Vari x lll tactical that I purchase in 1999. They are every bit as good as the ones sold today and many will argue that they are better built. Back then the fixed 10x and 16x were called mark 4's and the variables were called vari x lll tactical.

My wife runs a loopy like you are talking about, a vari-x III tactical 8.5x25-50 TARGET knobs and second focal plane . We bought it second hand, I want to say 6 years ago for 650 bucks. I thought it was a fair price.

Thanks for the info, gents. I couldn't recall when the "Mark 4" switch-over/designation happened, but when he said he got this one in 2004...it sparked some questions/concerns.

Not sure what I'll do on this one. I was hoping that it'd be worth $800 or so (the estimated value of the work he needs done) because I know he's short on the cash right now and who knows if/when I might get the balance out of him. I may see if he's got anything else to sweeten the pot a little.

Thanks again!