• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Leupold SX-4 vs Viper HD

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
I'm looking at the 15-45x65mm models. The Vortex and Leupold models look very similar and seem to have the same specs. I know the Leupold is made in china, I'm assuming it's the same thing as the Viper with a different outer case. Is it? My purpose for use would be spotting shots to 1000-1500 yards and possilbily packing for a hunt, but most likely just glassing an animal. Both have a good warranty, which is the better optic?

Two totally different looking scopes. I'd put the sx-4 against a razor. I have, and my eyeballs prefer the sx-4.

Only you can decide which one you like. Find a retailer that will let you look through both outside at dusk. Use the harder to see times to determine what your eye prefers.

Don't know about "totally different looking". Same extendable sun shade. Same phone scope eye piece.

I do prefer the look of the Leupold however I have not looked through either.

Don't know about "totally different looking". Same extendable sun shade. Same phone scope eye piece.

I do prefer the look of the Leupold however I have not looked through either.

The glass is 100% different.

I don't give a damn what they look like on the outside. It's the glass and coatings that give you the image, and the image is what matters.

Not sure why having a few of the same features makes you think they're the same thing. They have different length, weight, viewing angle, close focus, etc.

Only your eyeball will tell you which one is better for you. Or you can skip them both and pick up a gold ring for half the weight of either.