• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Leupold sx4 65mm or used razor 65mm

Bp90

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2020
San Diego
Alright so I'm finally going to fork up some money and purchase my first spotter. I've narrowed it down to these two. I can find a used gen 2 razor 65mm for under 1k if I wait for the right deal or i can purchase a new leupold sx4 for around 800.

I've decided to not go bigger than the 65mm objective in case I decide to throw it in a backpack one day. I know the sx4 is probably more comparable to a viper but I cant justify paying over $1500 for the sx5.

What are everyone's thoughts on the two of these. I haven't seen any side by side comparisons and there are way more reviews for the razor than the sx4.

Primary uses will be at the range spotting for steel targets out to about 900 yards.

I also have considered the razor 11-33×50 but I thought most of my viewing will be around 30x and most scopes aren't the clearest at the upper end of magnification.

I can only add that the older 11-33 works just fine. I have no experience with the particular Leupold your referenced.

The older 11-33 is pretty compact and you can swap eye pieces in them as I recall.

All in all for spotting trace inside your given range I cannot say I’d worry about the 33 power. I typically spot in the 20-30 power inside of 1k anyway.

It's very weird how little reviews I've been able to find on the sx4. I'm assuming the glass is comparable at the least but it seems there are a plethora of people running razors and vipers over it.

Frankly part of that is simply the power of Vortex, and their marketing. That’s not saying it’s bad, it’s just a testimony to their efforts.

While Leupold has a strong brand name, as far as spotters go, their known for the MK4 and the Gold Ring mostly over other things.

I’d consider calling Camera Land / Sport Optics and giving them your budget and perimeters. They will either get you something good or at least give you more solid options to ponder.