• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Tripods

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
Any info on Leupold's tripods? They have a Mark 5 kit and a Pro Guide kit with carbon fiber twist lock legs. Ball head with 40 lbs load capacity and Arca attachments. Probably made overseas but looks similar to RRS. I can't swing RRS price, this looks like a good compromise.

Seems like the optics makers found a solid CF OEM and all decided to use it. Looks similar to the new Vortex Tripod. I'd also suggest the Two Vets tripod. I think they're all similar manufacturing and quality but the Two Vets is cheaper.

Here's the Mark 5 for about half the price straight from the OEM. They both go to 60" but this one does it with 5 sections instead of 4 FWIW. They have a 4 section that goes to 56". I'm almost certain Leofoto is making Leupolds tripods, the mounting plates and carry case are even 1:1.

I have this tripod, I use it for glass and as a loaner. I also have an RRS TFCT that probably isn't 3X as good but it is definitely a better tripod, particularly when it comes to any torsion being applied by the wind, my dumb ass, whatever. The RRS is bad ass.

Understanding people have a budget and a $1500 tripod might not be in it, you might as well get the same thing as Leupold or Vortex and not pay for X company's logo to be lasered on it for an extra $300.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outlaw45
Is it the ball head or the legs that determine weight rating?

Also it has a 40 lbs. rating, my gun is probably 12-14 lbs., is that good enough? Does that matter when I lean into it to shoot?

Last edited:
Both, actually. Head has to be strong enough to stay where you lock it without slipping, legs have to be strong enough to be as rigid as possible and not collapse under load and twist as little as possible.

Then that would probably make it a good deal.

Here's the Mark 5 for about half the price straight from the OEM. They both go to 60" but this one does it with 5 sections instead of 4 FWIW. They have a 4 section that goes to 56". I'm almost certain Leofoto is making Leupolds tripods, the mounting plates and carry case are even 1:1.

I have this tripod, I use it for glass and as a loaner. I also have an RRS TFCT that probably isn't 3X as good but it is definitely a better tripod, particularly when it comes to any torsion being applied by the wind, my dumb ass, whatever. The RRS is bad ass.

Understanding people have a budget and a $1500 tripod might not be in it, you might as well get the same thing as Leupold or Vortex and not pay for X company's logo to be lasered on it for an extra $300.
Is this one rated for 50lbs & or shooting 20+lb rifles?