• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Vari-x iii tactical

jackgrant50

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2018
Good evening,

I did some trading and ended up with a Leupold Vari-x iii Tactical (not long range tactical) with a Mildot reticle, capped target turrets, 30mm tube, side focus and an F suffix serial # (meaning it was built in 98)

Does anyone know much about these scopes? I haven't seen much about this one online, it seems to be a pre mark 4, but I'm not positive when the mark 4 was introduced.

I am trying to figure out what it is worth in order to decide if I want to sell/trade it or put it on another build

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a VariX 3 tactical 4.5 x 14 with mil-dot 1 inch tube. I cannot tell you how old it is but over 20 years. Scope is still today a great scope! Good luck

I had one of the late model Vari-x III LRT with the exposed turrets 30" tube etc, it had the same model number as the first mk4 scope. I payed $600 about 6 years ago. Darn good scope.

The reality is that those older scopes do not bring in the amount of money that the newer ones do.
Most folks do not like covered tall target turrets, also those scopes may have multicoat-4 but even the lower vx2 line now has advanced lens coating etc.

Ive seen the scope you are referring to go from $200-$500 depending on the mag/obj size. Its still a nice scope, I will not sell mine.

Id just keep it, maybe send it in and get some M1 knobs put on it.

Good evening,

I did some trading and ended up with a Leupold Vari-x iii Tactical (not long range tactical) with a Mildot reticle, capped target turrets, 30mm tube, side focus and an F suffix serial # (meaning it was built in 98)

Does anyone know much about these scopes? I haven't seen much about this one online, it seems to be a pre mark 4, but I'm not positive when the mark 4 was introduced.

I am trying to figure out what it is worth in order to decide if I want to sell/trade it or put it on another build

Thanks!

Interesting. I have a similar scope and was wondering the same thing (what’s a reasonable sell price). Mine has the exposed turrets identical to the Mark 4 (M1 turrets I believe). The glass on mine is great and to my eyes looks better than the glass on my newer Mk4. Only reason I’m considering selling it is to get out of SFP and MOA turrets/MIL reticles...

jackgrant50,
I don't know if I can really tell you what it's worth today, but I can give you some background. The Vari-X III Tactical was the predecessor to the variable power Mark 4s, which were released around 2004. That Vari-X III Tactical was likely made between 1998-2003. You can confirm for sure with the serial number and this page on our Website: https://www.leupold.com/leupold-core/core-knowledge/faqs#WhenWasMyScopeManufactured.

Another important thing to know is that it is still under warranty, as we don't care if you bought it new, used, or found it in a field. Give us a ring at 1-800-LEUPOLD if you have any questions on it!