• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes leupold varmint hunters reticle??

mlh29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Lafargeville, NY 13656
Everyone, I have had a leupold vx111 scope in 6.5 x20xx50 lr for a while. recently picked up a rifle to put it on.
Rifle is a older NIB 700 vs in 22 250.
The original owner installed a timney @ 1.5 lbs
I added
PTG steel bdl metal, 0 moa base and warne qd 30 mm rings
I intend to keep this rifle for my son. He is 3.5 now.

I think I am off to a good start for a decent varmint rifle for him.

However have zero experience with the reticle in this scope( traded for it otherwise he would be getting mildot)

Does any one have any advice for a load in a 22 250 to use for the calibrations, insight on realistic exxpectations, drop / wind accuracy of this reticle?
Should i swap to a 20 moa base for this scope, intended use will be inside 600 as will use bigger rifles for longer range.
My standard load in 22 250 is a 52 gr match over 38 of H380, but will experiment for what this rifle likes when He is old enough to shoot.. So yes I have time but am curious now...
Thanks in advance

Re: leupold varmint hunters reticle??

Varmint hunter reticle gives you hold points to 600 yards so you're good there.

See this manual for loads that match the BDC.

Bottom of Pg. 1. They're using 55 gr at 3650fps to match the reticle spacing. (As the diameter is the same as 223 Rem, you could also use 40 grain at 3800fps, but that's probably pushing it a bit.)

I have one on a 223 AI varmint rig and shoot the 40s at 3800 and it's spot on. Wind holds are close but not perfect but that's probably a function of fluctuating winds rather than the reticle itself.

I wouldn't expect you to need an angled base, but YMMV. Keep in mind, being that this scope is SFP, you'll have a certain zoom setting so that the reticle works properly...not necessarily the max zoom either.

The PDF shows a 200 yard zero and zoom is placed on the large triangle for the 55/3650fps load...so wherever the large triangle falls on the zoom on your optic is where you'll do most of your shooting.

Hope this helps...

Ed

I own five Leupold scopes with this reticle if that tells you anything. One of the best hunting reticles I have found.

I also have 1 on a Sav. Striker 8-twist 243 WSSM. I shoot the old 117 DTAC bullet out of this rig at 2525 mv. That reticle doesn't even come close to intuitive even hundred yd. intervals. Not a problem really. Just match the reticle subtensions to the trajectory and create a range sticker like i did with this rig seen below. The problem though with that optic (6.5-20) is that the higher-powered subtensions as calibrated are set for something like~18X. Leupold does know what the subtensions are @ 20, and that's what i would use to calculate the system. I do beleieve that adjusting the magnification (and consequently subtension) to get a more intuitive system of application is probably the best way to go for fast reticle applications such as coyote hunting.

117 DTAC @ 2525 mv--range, elevation, windage (data below red dots is addtl. elevation via turret)--

IMG_0649.jpg