• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Varx III 3.5-10x30mm M3? Looks like a MK4

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I know a guy who's selling a Leupold Varx III 3.5-10x40mm M3 30mm with a mil-dot reticle for $650. It looks exactly like an Mark 4 with M3 knobs. What is the difference between this scope and a mark 4? Is this a good deal?

Re: Leupold Varx III 3.5-10x30mm M3? Looks like a MK4

Creature,

Could be a Pre-Mark 4. Leupold started with the Ultra's around 1981, and then called them Mark 4's in the late 80's early 90's. Since yours has M3 turrets I suspect it predates the Mark 4. If you had the scopes serial number you could confirm that.

Depending on the shape the scope is in the price is not bad, considering of course what new Mark 4/M3's are selling for.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Creature,

Could be a Pre-Mark 4. Leupold started with the Ultra's around 1981, and then called them Mark 4's in the late 80's early 90's. Since yours has M3 turrets I suspect it predates the Mark 4. If you had the scopes serial number you could confirm that.

Depending on the shape the scope is in the price is not bad, considering of course what new Mark 4/M3's are selling for.

Bob </div></div>

The scope is NIB and is at this old guy's shop that I buy reloading supplies from. This thing looks just like a newer Mark 4. I have to go out there and pick up some small rifle primers(score!) in a couple days, I'll take a closer look at it.

I'm not a huge fan of M3 knobs but thought about putting it on my SPR AR-15. Just trying to figure out a practical use for the thing. I suppose it would be nice if you need to adjust for a wide variety of ranges FAST.

M3 has one rev 55 MOA in 1MOA per click elevation and 1/2 moa on wind.
M2 has one rev 28 MOA in 1/2MOA per click elevation and 1/2moa wind.

I agree the M2 is a better turret at 1/2 moa,but at 28 MOA its sucks unless 28 gets you there..

VXIII M3 early scope had CW turrets and later VXIII M3 has CCW TURRETS.

On the BDC I just black the upper numbers out with a sharpie and use the dial as normal.

M3 is not a fine ajustment scope ,but a tad hi or low on the reticle will yield 1/2MOA, its minute of man and fast fool proof system with zero stop hard to beat at 20 oz package and the price.

You can get M3 dials in yards instead of meters from Leupold.I have traded new dials with them before.