• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX 5/6HD tracking?

Zback

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 8, 2019
Has anybody had any tracking issues with these since they updated them a few years back?

My two have been fine. Not using them like my nightforce but I’ll dial for 500 and back to 100 a bit and they’ve been good. I’m confident if I have to dial in a hunting situation it’ll track

My Vx6 and VX5hd have tracked well.
Both passed a tall turret test and have worked well in the field and at PRS/NRL style shoots.

Good to know. Can y’all see any pros/cons between the two for a mountain rifle?

I went back and forth over getting a VX-5HD for a lightweight 25SST hunting build. Read plenty about tracking issues but for keeping the scope weight down I just couldn't find a better option. I finally gave in and ordered on that arrived yesterday. Plan is to get it mounted this week and test tracking at the range this weekend. I also went for a bit of backup by getting the Impact-29 tree reticle on it so I wouldn't necessarily need to dial if I do run in to an issue with dialing while on a hunt.

I went back and forth over getting a VX-5HD for a lightweight 25SST hunting build. Read plenty about tracking issues but for keeping the scope weight down I just couldn't find a better option. I finally gave in and ordered on that arrived yesterday. Plan is to get it mounted this week and test tracking at the range this weekend. I also went for a bit of backup by getting the Impact-29 tree reticle on it so I wouldn't necessarily need to dial if I do run in to an issue with dialing while on a hunt.
Report back to us

I'm inheriting a mountain rifle that has a VX-6 mounted to it. I'm probably going to sell the scope because I don't want that much scope on a hunting rifle. I haven't decided what i want to replace it with yet, but i don't think it's an urgent matter because i won't be able to hunt this year.

Well, don't have any update on tracking. Spent my range session fiddling with labaradar trying to do load development on the new rifle and just couldn't get it reliable. As range has social distancing and limited open spots, they ask people to limit to 1 hour to enable others waiting to get on. I ran out of time so will try again on next session.

Plenty of people have had tracking issues with them, enough that I won’t use them despite the great glass, weight, and feature set for the money.

Any further reports on the vx5 & vx6 tracking? I’m considering one of these on a lightweight walking varminter but it’s not much added cost to just step up to a 3.3-18 mk5 HD