• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    Anyone have any inputs on this one? Interwebz searches seem to show positive feedback from the folks that have handled them. Considering one for a 300WM hunting rifle. Really curious if it tracks well. On a hunting rig it doesn't need water cooled turrets but needs to be repeatable for light use. [meaning it's not going to get cranked on 25 times a day for a dozen weekends a yr like a match scope]

I have one and another supposed to ship today. I really like it. The locking turrets and zero stop are great. Glass is really good. It doesn't weigh 30 oz... I may end up with a few more.

I LOVE the glass and weight of the VX-5HD series for a hunting scope. Fits my eyes so well for some reason. And now they’ve got more mag ranges and better reticle choices too

My Dad bought one in a fire dot. He loves it, I haven't got to finger it yet.

He can't tell a difference between the vx-5 HD, and Mark 5 glass. He used it to replace a Mark 6 3-18, because of the weight and lower profile. He did comment that he likes the glass better than the Mark 6 (he has two Mark 6, both bought to be used for hunting and both have been moved to dedicated bench and varmint guns).

My brother in law just put a Leupold VX-5HD 3x15x44 on his new Rem Sendero .300WM a few months ago. I went to the range with my nephew to site it in for him prior to Kansas deer hunt. I thought it was an excellent scope for hunting. Clean glass and tracked well, good field of view, but we really did not put it through any serious distance shooting due to time constraints (work and waiting for scope to arrive) before the upcoming Arizona elk and Kansas deer hunts.

Between my brother in law and two nephews they used that rifle and scope for two bull elk and at least three of the nine Kansas deer the group brought back. Absolutely no complaints on the optic.

I went with the Mark 5 5x25x56 for my new Bergara HMR in .300WM a few weeks ago. Shooting the Sendero with the VX-5HD 3x15x44 helped me make up my mind to go with the Mark 5. I love the turrets and zero stop. Big improvements over my Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x50!

For what it’s worth I would recommend the VX-5HD 3x15x44 and the Mark 5 5x25x56.

HTH

Thanks all. I've got a Swaro Z5 3.4-18x44 on one of my other rifles and I like it but everything I'm seeing about the Leupy is it's all that with a better elevation turret and about $500 less.

Reactions: Wyzrd
    Thanks all. I've got a Swaro Z5 3.4-18x44 on one of my other rifles and I like it but everything I'm seeing about the Leupy is it's all that with a better elevation turret and about $500 less.

I got a couple swaros and also just put the vx5hd on a shorty 6.5 hunting rifle. I’ve taken it up to 1k and back twice for fun and it’s tracked great. I don’t feel like it’d be one you really want to wrench on but for hunting purposes and launching a couple down range for fun every once in awhile, it’s been great for me.

99% of the time I won’t touch the elevation but it’s good to know it works . Glass seems like it’ll be fine well into dark thirty

Have several on a few hunting rigs. Just got the new 4-20x52 and man is it awesome. It really is difficult to distinguish the glass from my vx6hd’s

Have several on a few hunting rigs. Just got the new 4-20x52 and man is it awesome. It really is difficult to distinguish the glass from my vx6hd’s

Ooooh good to hear. Been waiting for some hands-on feedback on the new 4-20x52 model. Glad to hear it’s at least on par with the 3-15x models. Pretty sure I’ll have one on my 7mm mag one day; it’s a matter of time.

Ooooh good to hear. Been waiting for some hands-on feedback on the new 4-20x52 model. Glad to hear it’s at least on par with the 3-15x models. Pretty sure I’ll have one on my 7mm mag one day; it’s a matter of time.
    Do it!

That probably because they’re the same scope minus a few options. That’s what I’ve been told anyways
    The glass is different and slightly better in the Vx6hd. But for the money, especially a medium range hunting rig, the Vx5hd is the way to go IMO.

The glass is different and slightly better in the Vx6hd. But for the money, especially a medium range hunting rig, the Vx5hd is the way to go IMO.

Where have you read the glass is different? Everything I’ve seen is it has the same glass. The price diff is in the 6x vs 5x and locking windage and better reticle options?

Where have you read the glass is different? Everything I’ve seen is it has the same glass. The price diff is in the 6x vs 5x and locking windage and better reticle options?
    Really I guess that was an assumption on my part. When I did low light testing with these scopes the 6’s seemed to do better to my eyes. I apologize for the misconception.

Did anyone see the VX5 3-15 is on sale right now for $850?

Not sure if you have seen this video yet, but it compares the Z5 to the VX5HD. It helped confirm my decision to get the VX5HD.

Where are they on sale for $850? I have been looking into getting one myself.

I have several other scopes for sale on another forum to fund a VX5HD.

eurooptic, brownells, midway. Its a leupold wide $100 off on the duplex reticle.

I picked up a VX5HD last year and at first was really excited about it.
    Unfortunately it did not track, i did a tall target test and it was way off!
    I wouldn't recommend one for anyone who plans on dialing

waiting for a mil/mil version,i hope,one day!
    Mr leupold,if you hear me..
    VX6 mil dial.JPG

Call the Leupold custom shop

That's dissapointing. I'll have to test mine when I finally get it mounted up
    Yeah I was really bummed.. I also had a vx6 and vx3 that didn't track.
    I love Leupold and after selling the others I picked up two MK5's, I have both the 3.6-18 and the 5-25x56.
    Both are rock solid and track like nobody's business.

How hard is it to make a scope for a hunting rifle with a 44mm obj, that has a 3-15/4-16 kind of mag, with repeatable turrets, good (not great) glass and a reticle that isn't some silly BDC that only works with one particular bullet/velocity combo (basically a simple mil or MOA hash). Oh yea, and it needs to weigh less than 2 pounds. (more like 24oz) I guess the question is how hard is it to sell them because nobody sticks with it.

That's why I have a Z3 and a Z5 with the BRH reticle and why I bought this one. Was hoping to use this one for dialing for longer shots.

If the Leupy proves not to track I guess I'll start having to scour the WWW for used Bushnell LRHS's.

How hard is it to make a scope for a hunting rifle with a 44mm obj, that has a 3-15/4-16 kind of mag, with repeatable turrets, good (not great) glass and a reticle that isn't some silly BDC that only works with one particular bullet/velocity combo (basically a simple mil or MOA hash). Oh yea, and it needs to weigh less than 2 pounds. (more like 24oz) I guess the question is how hard is it to sell them because nobody sticks with it.

That's why I have a Z3 and a Z5 with the BRH reticle and why I bought this one. Was hoping to use this one for dialing for longer shots.

If the Leupy proves not to track I guess I'll start having to scour the WWW for used Bushnell LRHS's.
    That's what I really like about the MK5 3.6-18x44.
    It weighs 25 oz, has an awesome reticle and turrets, its FFP with great glass, and tracks true

Yeah I was really bummed.. I also had a vx6 and vx3 that didn't track.
    I love Leupold and after selling the others I picked up two MK5's, I have both the 3.6-18 and the 5-25x56.
    Both are rock solid and track like nobody's business.
    What do you mean by didn't track?
    Not return to zero? Click value error? Click values all over the place?

I've got a VX5hd and the clicks have about 2.5% error, but when taking that into consideration it still dials well.
    My VX6 tracks spot on.

What do you mean by didn't track?
    Not return to zero? Click value error? Click values all over the place?

I've got a VX5hd and the clicks have about 2.5% error, but when taking that into consideration it still dials well.
    My VX6 tracks spot on.
    Yes the click values were all over the place
    I think it was something like .75 off at 10 MOA, almost 3 off at 20 MOA, etc..
    My vx6 tracked well to 15 moa, beyond that it was something different every time I dialed.
    Personally I lost confidence in the hunting line and moved to the more tactical models

thanks a lot!
    i asked the custom shop if they can build me a mil/mil with tmr ret. vx3 few years ago and it was a no go at this time!
    how much elevation do you have?
    please,tell me you don't have an illuminated TMR in it?
    You can only get 2 revolutions out of the turrets on the VX-5HD. Not sure how much elevation you get per revolution.

Minus the weight and price difference, the NF Atacr F1 4-16 fills that role nicely. I had one on a 6.5 grendel that I used for deer hunting, and it is an amazing scope! Loved the ED glass, perfect tracking, and locking turret. ?

Minus the weight and price difference, the NF Atacr F1 4-16 fills that role nicely. I had one on a 6.5 grendel that I used for deer hunting, and it is an amazing scope! Loved the ED glass, perfect tracking, and locking turret. ?
    The ATACR doesn't not perform as well as the VX-5/6HD in low light. I noticed that the reticle fades (ran in non-illuminated setting) and its hard to distinguish the "animal" (3D deer) from the background. The leupold performed exceptionally in the same test. You are going to have a hard time beating a Leupold in lowlight and glare which is when most animals are most active.

I've had one for a little over a year-as others have stated nice clean glass and lightweight are strong points. Mine was on a POS-USA revolution 308 for most of it's life-handled that fine. Now it's on an 18" lightweight AR precision rig and performing well. I don't do much dialing and I've never done a box test with mine so I can't comment on tracking as I have the Impact 29 reticle and I do hold-overs.