• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-5HD, Anyone Used One?

Bully

Private, in so many ways...
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2014
NJ
Has anyone used the Leupold VX-5 3-15x50? For a variety of reasons, it's a scope that I'm considering for my next rifle. Would like some first hand information on it, ie:
How is the tracking? I won't be torturing it but I'd like it to be somewhat consistent.
Clarity?
Any edge to edge distortion? Fisheye?
Eyebox?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: Pgd
Im interested in this scope also. Any reviews?

I've got a 3-15x44 with Impact 29 reticle and absolutely love it.
I have a non HD VX6 3-18x44 and find the glass on the VX5HD to be a slight improvment.

The glass is great, super crisp and haven't noticed any edge distortion or fish eye.
The FOV is great and a really forgiving eye box, I have a Vortex HST 4-16 and a PST 4-16 and the eye box on the VX5 is 100x better, not fussy at all.

I haven't actually done a tracking test but I shot a 22lr rifle match this weekend and with a 60yd zero was dialing out to 172yds and back and was spot on, have also shot back and forth between 60yds, 100yds, 130yds, 150yds then back down again and was dialing perfectly.
The turrets aren't mushy at all, they are not like a Nightforce but they are positive and audible.

After the match I shot I was having a play with a few different rifles, one having a Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15 another with a Kahles 624i and another a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14, apart from the Khales which was fantastic, I felt the VX5 had the best glass.
The VX5 was heaps brighter than the Zeiss and far better FOV, and I felt was a lot brighter than the Athlon and crisper too.
Compared to any of the Vortex HST or PST Gen 1s I've used, the VX5 is hands down far better glass.

I really like the Impact 29 reticle, it's my first Christmas tree style reticle and I was worried it'd be to busy, but it's fine enough you barely even notice it's there unless you are using it. The open center is nice for shooting small targets also.

I was just using my 22lr to test this scope before putting it on my 223, but I can't bear the thought of putting a lesser scope back on, so will likely be buying another for my 223. My Vortex HST will be getting the boot in the near future, whilst it has done me well, the glass is abysmal compared to the newer scopes coming to the market.

@beetroot
Thank you for that review. There isn't a lot out there for this scope as it's not a "whiz-bang" kind of piece. However It's an interesting scope to me as it ticks the boxes I feel are relevant to me at this time: relatively inexpensive, decent glass, elevation turret that is low profile, and some kind of zero stop. I'm sure that the zero stop isn't as rock solid as the NF, but the scope is also 1/2 the price. I have one on the way to my LGS and will be taking a look at it tomorrow 5/14/18 and if it's as nice as it seems to be on paper, I'll drop a deposit on it.
Thanks again.

I've found the Zero lock to be excellent, very positive stop and the lock function works well.
I really like the button the does the locking and also the revolution indicator, it's simple and it works. When I first had the scope the indicator was a little stiff and gritty, really noticeable when dialing from the first to the second turret revolution but with a small bit of grease and some use it works perfectly. You just need to ensure when setting the turret to zero it can properly engage, otherwise when using it the zero lock wont come out and lock properly.

I've found very minimal reviews, but there are quite a few on the VX6 and VX6HD, the VX5HD is more or less the same as the VX6HD (same glass, turrets reticles etc) so take any reviews to be the same for both scopes and that any review of the VX6 the VX5HD will be an improvement.

Reactions: Bully
I've found the Zero lock to be excellent, very positive stop and the lock function works well.
I really like the button the does the locking and also the revolution indicator, it's simple and it works. When I first had the scope the indicator was a little stiff and gritty, really noticeable when dialing from the first to the second turret revolution but with a small bit of grease and some use it works perfectly. You just need to ensure when setting the turret to zero it can properly engage, otherwise when using it the zero lock wont come out and lock properly.

I've found very minimal reviews, but there are quite a few on the VX6 and VX6HD, the VX5HD is more or less the same as the VX6HD (same glass, turrets reticles etc) so take any reviews to be the same for both scopes and that any review of the VX6 the VX5HD will be an improvement.

My LGS got the VX5 in yesterday. My day at work was really slow so I took a little ride to take a look at it and gather some impressions.
The adjustments are very solid. It's not NF solid, but I didn't expect that. They are solid. The Zero Stop on the scope is awesome from what I can tell. I obviously have not adjusted it as it's in a box, but dialing it down it comes to a very solid stop which I like. I like that the windage turret is capped. This scope will get zeroed and that will be about it, so dialing for wind will not be a thing. I also like how the elevation turret is locked with the button. I find that to be a positive feature especially if I was to hunt this scope (I won't). The glass seems very clear with very good color. Again, it's not NF but it's also 1/2 the price.
Long story short, I put a deposit on it. I'm impressed enough that I'll give it a whirl. I will come back with a range report in a month or so. I need to find time to spin this rifle up.
Thanks again @beetroot I appreciate the words.

I’ve been wanting one of these for a lightweight large frame ar. I think it would be a pretty slick setup with an rmr as well. The only think holding me back is the lack of mil reticles but the price isn’t too bad and I don’t mind sfp with 15x max mag. I definitely agree that that glass looks really good to my eyes in the ones I’ve look through.

I just stumbled over these as well. Under 20oz with its features is without equal it seems.

Is the MOA29 reticle easy enough to pick up on 3 power for quick shots?

Wish it was in mils, but it’s all just numbers at the end of the day.

I've got a 3-15x44 with Impact 29 reticle and absolutely love it.
I have a non HD VX6 3-18x44 and find the glass on the VX5HD to be a slight improvment.

The glass is great, super crisp and haven't noticed any edge distortion or fish eye.
The FOV is great and a really forgiving eye box, I have a Vortex HST 4-16 and a PST 4-16 and the eye box on the VX5 is 100x better, not fussy at all.

I haven't actually done a tracking test but I shot a 22lr rifle match this weekend and with a 60yd zero was dialing out to 172yds and back and was spot on, have also shot back and forth between 60yds, 100yds, 130yds, 150yds then back down again and was dialing perfectly.
The turrets aren't mushy at all, they are not like a Nightforce but they are positive and audible.

After the match I shot I was having a play with a few different rifles, one having a Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15 another with a Kahles 624i and another a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14, apart from the Khales which was fantastic, I felt the VX5 had the best glass.
The VX5 was heaps brighter than the Zeiss and far better FOV, and I felt was a lot brighter than the Athlon and crisper too.
Compared to any of the Vortex HST or PST Gen 1s I've used, the VX5 is hands down far better glass.

I really like the Impact 29 reticle, it's my first Christmas tree style reticle and I was worried it'd be to busy, but it's fine enough you barely even notice it's there unless you are using it. The open center is nice for shooting small targets also.

I was just using my 22lr to test this scope before putting it on my 223, but I can't bear the thought of putting a lesser scope back on, so will likely be buying another for my 223. My Vortex HST will be getting the boot in the near future, whilst it has done me well, the glass is abysmal compared to the newer scopes coming to the market.

I'll second @beetroot on his review. I've shot my buddy's 3-15 a fair number of times and the reticle is great. Easy to use without being too busy. Only downside *might be* limited usable travel and limited dialing ability. IIRC, it only goes up to ~28-30moa due to cap but I could be wrong on this.

But for most mid to light long range, GREAT scope for the money, especially if you find a deal on one. Can't speak to tracking as we didn't turret test his rig but seemed to line up well with past dope in similar conditions.

I'll second @beetroot on his review. I've shot my buddy's 3-15 a fair number of times and the reticle is great. Easy to use without being too busy. Only downside *might be* limited usable travel and limited dialing ability. IIRC, it only goes up to ~28-30moa due to cap but I could be wrong on this.

But for most mid to light long range, GREAT scope for the money, especially if you find a deal on one. Can't speak to tracking as we didn't turret test his rig but seemed to line up well with past dope in similar conditions.

Awesome and good to hear. Thanks much.

I just stumbled over these as well. Under 20oz with its features is without equal it seems.

Is the MOA29 reticle easy enough to pick up on 3 power for quick shots?

Wish it was in mils, but it’s all just numbers at the end of the day.

I find it easy to pick up, being a SFP scope the reticle is easy to pick up on 3x and doesn't obscure small targets on 15x.

The 2 revolution turret is limited to 38moa, with should be enough for the majority of hunters/shooters.

Reactions: Subwrx300
I went to Cabelas to purchase an XTR II that was on sale. I thought I would compare the glass to the VX-5HD since they had one there. The VX-5HD had a much sharper image than the XTR II. I thought the XTR II was bright and clear until I looked through the Leupold.

Reactions: Bully
I went to Cabelas to purchase an XTR II that was on sale. I thought I would compare the glass to the VX-5HD since they had one there. The VX-5HD had a much sharper image than the XTR II. I thought the XTR II was bright and clear until I looked through the Leupold.

I didn't think my Vortex HST was too bad until I bought the VX5.
The only regret I have in buying it is I want all my rifles to have one now.