• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition LEUPOLD VX-6 7-42x56

That is the best F Class Scope I have ever used at any price.

Three of us from US National Team (Stan Pate, John Weil and I) helped with design of this scope and reticle. Leupold wanted to make exactly what we needed and they did so.

We used prototype scopes in last Nationals and Individual Worlds. The scopes performed flawlessly even if we did not. LOL

I just received a new PRODUCTION Scope so they are out. Its as good or better than prototype I have been using.

Great news, thanks for your evaluation. I had been watching for it to come out after seeing the stuff from Raton on accurate shooter. I'm going to be getting one when they hit the market. Haven't seen them anywhere yet.

I got mine sighted in at 100yds this week and it looks like a winner. Will be a1000yd next Thursday.

I was considering upgrading from my current NF NXS 12-42X56, going to the 2014 edition NC competition or a March. Now, for about the same amount of money as the NF Competition 15-55X52, Leupold comes out with a 7-42X56. The 6X magnification range does nothing for me in F-class and starting at 7X is irrelevant as I run my NXS at 42X virtually all the time. In fact I don't remember ever turning it down.

The 22% increase in magnification from the Competition is of interest to me, but the Leupold would be the same as by NXS. Leupold glass has never impressed me as being anything special; it's good but not outstanding.

So why would I consider the Leupold VX 6 instead of the NF competition for about the same price?

You're going to have to look through it and see how it compares. The Leupold has a 34mm tube and more eye relief (like the NXS...).

I'm not trying to compare it to the NXS, I already have that scope and I like it a lot. I'm just wondering about comparing it to the Competition which has more magnification. The 34mm tube only gives it more elevation adjustment range, it's doesn't transmit more light as some people think. On the other hand since the range is only 55MOA, they probably used bigger internal lenses which would be a plus for clarity and resolution. So there may be something there.

What does surprise me about the NF Competition is that the objective lens went from 56mm in the NXS to 52mm. Making the objective lens smaller reduces the amount of light that can enter the scope and with increased magnification, the exit pupil shrinks further. I would have thought the Competition might have kept the 56mm objective, but it didn't and that's one reason I'm hesitant about it. In my late youth, my eyes need all the light they can get in the early morning or heavily overcast days.

My main point is that I see no advantage in going to a 7-42X56 from my current 12-42X56; I would not gain any magnification. To me, the only thing that would cause me to spend that amount of money on another scope for my F-TR rifle would be more quality magnification.

I was considering upgrading from my current NF NXS 12-42X56, going to the 2014 edition NC competition or a March. Now, for about the same amount of money as the NF Competition 15-55X52, Leupold comes out with a 7-42X56. The 6X magnification range does nothing for me in F-class and starting at 7X is irrelevant as I run my NXS at 42X virtually all the time. In fact I don't remember ever turning it down.

The 22% increase in magnification from the Competition is of interest to me, but the Leupold would be the same as by NXS. Leupold glass has never impressed me as being anything special; it's good but not outstanding.

So why would I consider the Leupold VX 6 instead of the NF competition for about the same price?

Because the Leupold is a better all around scope. I have used both a bunch and not just bench racing here.

Never turned down from 42X. You should try it You will find you get a better sight picture at 1000 yards during mirage and scores tend to go up.

I'm not trying to compare it to the NXS, I already have that scope and I like it a lot. I'm just wondering about comparing it to the Competition which has more magnification. The 34mm tube only gives it more elevation adjustment range, it's doesn't transmit more light as some people think. On the other hand since the range is only 55MOA, they probably used bigger internal lenses which would be a plus for clarity and resolution. So there may be something there.

What does surprise me about the NF Competition is that the objective lens went from 56mm in the NXS to 52mm. Making the objective lens smaller reduces the amount of light that can enter the scope and with increased magnification, the exit pupil shrinks further. I would have thought the Competition might have kept the 56mm objective, but it didn't and that's one reason I'm hesitant about it. In my late youth, my eyes need all the light they can get in the early morning or heavily overcast days.

My main point is that I see no advantage in going to a 7-42X56 from my current 12-42X56; I would not gain any magnification. To me, the only thing that would cause me to spend that amount of money on another scope for my F-TR rifle would be more quality magnification.

For my money the NXS was a better scope than the Competition but the new Leupold is better than either of them. Better glass. More and better adjustments and lighter.

Sorta related, does anyone make 34mm dovetail rings? There are plenty of options for Picatinny, of course.

Mike said:
More and better adjustments and lighter.

In what way have the adjustments been made better? My understanding is that the VX-6 series use leaf springs in their erector system. With Leopold's track record on the Competition scopes I'd be a little leery on this scope...

When I was talking to Stan at Raton (after I took a couple of shots with his) I made the comment that Leupy could really skip the 6X range if the scope was really targeted to the F class/target shooters, but knowing that it was being built on the VX6 platform it was pretty much a given it would come the way it did, as is the 34mm tube on the new Leupy. (they probably could have built a 20-60 that would be lighter, brighter and easier but it would not have used the same parts and you'd never sell it to hunters or tacticool shooters) The reticle looks a bit busy to me, but then with the whole world going to never coming off of the no wind zero, ever, it may make sense to a lot of folks.

Personally, I'm glad to see another option out there.

Denys, as to why NF went smaller on the objective on the new competition scope, ounces. It is pretty obvious they heard the complaints about the boat anchor that the NXS and BR scopes were/are ans were trying to trim weight. Glass is the densest part of the scope. They didn't need to be built as robust as a scope to be dragged across rocks under fire in Askrakastan. As for a March, I don't care how much someone pats my arse and tells me it will be OK, I'm not buying a $2k+ scope with only a 5yr warranty.

(I think I'll stay with my 42NXS for a while longer, might even try to pick up another one when the price starts to drop some more.)

Al, I believe this scope has leaf springs but my comments are based on using both products a bunch and based on what I have seen.
The 6x zoom was what we asked for. Everytime I see a scope with more than 6X zoom I start seeing huge problems come about as its harder to make that a 4 or 6x zoom.

XTR I would stay with NXS over the BE Nightforce as well but take a look at this scope as the reticle is not busy at all and allows quick windage aiming points.

In what way have the adjustments been made better? My understanding is that the VX-6 series use leaf springs in their erector system. With Leopold's track record on the Competition scopes I'd be a little leery on this scope...

Last edited:
XTR, I totally get the part about wanting to reduce weight, but you can bite your nose to spite your face, or rather Nightforce can. For a 4mm reduction of the objective lens, they shaved about 16% of the weight of that piece of glass. Let's say that 56mm lens weighs 8 ounces (a half pound, which is quite a bit for a lens) they saved about an ounce but they also dropped 16% on the amount of light coming in. I never considered Nightforce to be exceedingly good with lens coating, not like Nikon or some of the high end scopes so I doubt they could make up the loss in light transmission. And then increasing the magnification to 55X with a smaller objective? That way lies madness.

I was hesitant about the Competition and I think, like you, I will stick with my NXS "locked" at 42X. It's been performing well for me over the last year or so.

We shall see what 2015 brings.

For those of you who have been at this awhile and already have a NXS 12x42 this probably doesn't make sense. However, for guys like me who are getting started the new Leupold is a great alternative to a Sightron, Competition or March as the NXS 12x42 isn't available and many of those offered for sale used have 1/4 clicks... I'll be getting a leupold when they finally get out to the retailers.

The discussion has been good and you guys who like your NXS 12x42 are making the case for the Leupold - as it is the closest thing to it currently in production.

Lawman, you're absolutely correct. While the Leupold has no compelling feature to warrant a move from an NXS, it is definitely a great alternative to the ones you listed when getting to that level of magnification/quality, etc. Your thread also made me realize that going from an NXS 12-42 to a Competition is not a slam dunk and I will stay with my NXS for now.

I do look forward to your write-up when you do get the Leupold.

I just picked up a new (2014) NF Competition. To my eyes, the glass is fine. I don't notice it, which is in the end what we're after. The problem is not clarity or resolution, but exit pupil size. At 55X, that's going to be a challenge no matter what, but the smaller objective doesn't help. It's pretty tight at anything over 35-40x or so. The only thing I'd change on this scope is to make the objective bigger - I'd accept the extra weight as a consequence. But even then, it's not that big a deal, since 55x is not all that useful to me and the exit pupil would still be tiny. (40x is where the reticle is calibrated anyhow.).

I love the FCR-1 reticle. I wouldn't change a thing about it if I could.

It's a great scope, and by the time you get to even half this price range, you're already well into hair splitting.

Lawman, you're absolutely correct. While the Leupold has no compelling feature to warrant a move from an NXS, it is definitely a great alternative to the ones you listed when getting to that level of magnification/quality, etc. Your thread also made me realize that going from an NXS 12-42 to a Competition is not a slam dunk and I will stay with my NXS for now.

I do look forward to your write-up when you do get the Leupold.

I disagree on the Leupold not having enough features to warrant a change. In the 2009 World Championships, at Bisley I ran out of windage adjustment in my 12-42 NXS. Once set up on my rifle I only had 12 MOA left wind and yes I used all of that and still had to hold rings to get centered. The Leupold would of had plenty of windage . The Leupold has better glass which allows me to run more power than either NXS and get a clearer sight picture than either Nightforce. In this quest to get every advantage we can we look for anything that can help. The idea of more adjustment, less weight and better glass is a big plus in my mind.

Weight is always an issue in F Class and the Leupold is lighter than the Competition which is lighter than the NXS, so the Leupold allows you to put more weight in the barrel which is where its needed.

Don't get me wrong Nightforce makes great products. The Spotting Scope they are coming out with simply is the best I have ever seen at any price. The NXS Series are tough as hell but never designed with target shooters in mind. The Competition Series is a great scope I just wish they went to 34mm tube for more adjustment range

Now I ask why not check one out before making your mind up? See you at US Nationals this year?

Last edited:
Tactical have your connections at Leupold given you any idea when they'll be available from retailers?

SWFA had it listed on their web site for $1,999.99. I called and the salesman estimated sometime late summer to deer season...

I look forward to seeing you again at the Nationals.

I'm one of those guys who likes to hold off on the target instead of clicking for windage, though I am not adamant about it to the point where I never dial. As I explained earlier the only motivation for upgrading from my NXS is higher magnification and the slight increase afforded by the Competition, coupled with the smaller objective lens is not enough of a reason to spend the money.

My F-TR rifle as it sits with its 32 inch barrel, NXS and Sinclair Gen 3 bipod is a half-pound under the limit; I have no issues here.

I did well enough in Raton with that rifle and scope shooting 1244-31X and placing 21st at the Nationals and 425-24V, placing 43 at the Worlds. I don't think the scope was in any way lacking or holding me back. In fact, I don't remember ever dialing in windage except for the afternoon match on the last day of the Nationals; I didn't like holding so far off the frame. And I certainly never turned it down from 42X. The scope didn't hold me back from winning TSRA F-TR Long Range last month either.

I don't buy equipment just for the sake of getting the latest/newest gadget; there has to be a compelling reason to cause me to change and the Leupold just does not have that. My equipment may be so last year or older, but it works for me.

I really do appreciate your write-up and this thread is excellent in discussing a new scope for F-class. You can be sure that if I did not already have a scope that does very well for me, I would be looking at the Leupold and would probably be getting it based on your recommendation.

Deny, I know I am really excited about this because its the first time a company has asked us what we wanted and needed in a dedicated F Class Scope. I don't have a financial interest in the scope but put a lot of time into getting Leupold the information they needed to make it.

I don't know how well I did in Raton this year, but the weather was such mirage as never an issue for s well, but Sacramento seems to just have Mirage 99% of time. Last Nationals I had a barrel on one rifle go south with only 4500 rounds through it. Went from one hole to just poop in about 50rds. T rifle did well in last worlds with top n overall and several Gold and Silver Medals. Never had go that fast before. Then my smith, me, did not get the other barrel tight enough and found it unscrewing on me in Worlds, so down in the 20's myself.

I have problems making weight because the big action and block in my stock takes me close to limit.

And you should be excited and even proud that Leupold did ask you guys what you wanted and actually heeded your recommendations. This is exactly why I would consider that scope, if I did not have an NXS 12-42 or equivalent. So for the OP, this is the scope to have and he's planning to get one. So kudos to you and your team.

Until Leupold comes out with a reticle similar to the 2DD, I will continue to shoot the old BR. I'm sure the glass is better than the NF (looked through a 2-12 last year), but I like the 2DD reticle, (uncluttered) too much to change.

I went and order a VX-6 7-42x56 I should have it by the end of June. Seller said they should ship in 1 to 3 weeks.

Good deal. I look forward to reading your report on this scope.

I look forward to reading your report on this Leupold scope as well.....I currently use a NF benchrest and NXS, both 12 X 42s and they are good scopes (i did have tracking issues at the Berger nationals this year with the NXS but NF took care of it quick like after i sent it back to them) but i borrowed a friend of mines NF Competition model for a 1000 yard match to try it out and was very impressed with the glass compared to my current BR & NXS scopes......To my eyes the comp scope was superior glass wise.

Just flipping through the latest issue of Rifle, sporting firearms journal and on page 57 we have a full page add for this exact scope with a quote from, roll that timpani... Mike (Tactical) Miller. I love it, Leupold actually does listen to real people and happily quotes them.

There is even a quote from Paul Crosby and he's another real person as I was squadded with him on the first day of the Worlds in Raton.

Well done, Mike.

First production run is shipping & already a back order. Get your order in ASAP.

i was at a dealers show yesterday and got to handle, fondle, and look thru one. outstanding was first impression. now got to find the money.

Denys, I haven't ever used the new Lupy but have owned several 30mm tube models years back and far as im concerned they were junk. I do however own a new 2014 NF competiton with FCR-1 reticle and a 5-40x56 March and both are awesome. Glass on new on new NF looks just as good as my March to my eyes. So if looking to save a few $$ get the NF. As far as the new Lupy they had better really stepped up the game or they will just be a over priced decent scope like usual. Just my take on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment Kubitza123, for the moment I am very happy with my NF NXS 12-42. I don't think it's holding me back at all, but who knows what the future brings.

I sent this post to Pat Mundy at Leupold & this is his response;

John, we should be catching up on backorders now pretty fast—demand has been pretty high (As you guys said it would be!) and we are building them as fast as we can, but its hard to keep up. I can only hope they will be patient as they take longer to build than most of our other scopes. Pat

Look like I will have to re Zero my rifle tomorrow. As long as the UPS truck does not chrash on it's travels to my house. :D;) I will have Photos Later today.

Got it today and zeroed it at 100 yds.

IMG_5142 (1024x603).jpg

IMG_5140 (1024x683).jpg

20140814_172957 (1024x768).jpg
working on zero
20140814_184635 (745x1024).jpg
fine tune last two in the 9
20140814_184629 (1024x819).jpg:D

Last edited:
Tactical - can you check with Leupold and find out any info on where to get a sun shade, don't see a 56mm listed on their web site. I saw in the photos from Raton you had one on yours. Thanks.