• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-II vs. VX-3

Walsh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I will be purchasing a new 1-4 power optic. I really like the Leupold customer service reputation so I will go with Leupold unless something huge happens.

So, now to my question, is the VX-3 1.5-5x20mm at $400 worth it compared to the VX-II 1-4x20mm at $300?

Is the extra $100 woth it for just a 1-4 power optic?

This scope will be used for everything, really, the is my ultility rifle, and will probally be my only centerfire for a while. I will, however, be mostly using this rifle/scope for hunting with target shooting mixed in, and the hopefully never defence senario if I am without my AR-15.

With either scope, I will probally be adding the Turkey Plex reticle, and would love some feedback on this reticle, seems like a poor mans SPR or JNG-MIL/MOA reticle.

Bottom line, is the extra $100 worth it?

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

Re: Leupold VX-II vs. VX-3

I have several of each VXII and VXII...from memory I think all the VXIII's have positive click stop adjustments for wind/elevation while the II's do not. I cannot tell any difference in clarity and for your use in that power range I would buy the VXII. My truck rifle for shooting stuff back and forth from work wears a VXII....the rifle I hunt with most often wears a VXIII. To me there is not enough difference to matter.

The new VX-3 have hand-adjustable turrets. There are several other improvements that make it worth the extra cash. The VX-II is a dated model. VX-3 is new and has received very favorable reviews. I'd go with that. I have both models and think the VX-3 is worth the extra dough.

If your OK with spending the extra $100 the vx-3 is worth it. I have always regreted buying cheaper when the price is close. The vx-3's positive click stops can save you a lot of frustration. You may not notice a difference in brightness unless your under extreme conditions but it's there. Resale is always better with a vx-3.