• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-R opinions wanted...

limbhanga

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2007
Alabama
I am seriously considering getting a Leupold VX-R to put on one of my hunting rifles. The "fire Dot" looks like it would be a great feature to have while hunting in low light conditions when the reticle tends to blend in with the back ground. Does anyone have one of these scopes and whats your opinions on them?

Whatever responses you get, be sure to sift thru them to determine if the poster just dogs Leupold the company generally, or has specific first hand data about this particular scope. For instance, I've had good success with many of Leupold's products, but that doesn't really answer your question much either, as I haven't purchased the scope you reference.

I have the 2-7x model and have been happy with it relative to what I paid. It's not a fancy scope in any way, but, for the price, has good glass and decent construction. The fire dot works well optically, but I really wish they had used a rotary brightness control instead of having to push the same button repeatedly.

Whatever responses you get, be sure to sift thru them to determine if the poster just dogs Leupold the company generally, or has specific first hand data about this particular scope. For instance, I've had good success with many of Leupold's products, but that doesn't really answer your question much either, as I haven't purchased the scope you reference.

If you review my posts you'll see I'm not a fan of Leupold. You apparently are a fan, given that you chose to make the above statement. Since you've taken us there, let me mention that while my 2-7x VX-R is just fine, a year earlier I had bought and returned a 3-9x VX-R with the ballistic reticle, which was so misshapen and lopsided it might have been drawn by a toddler. So I guess I'm only running 50% on that series. I could also mention my overpriced, needed repair right out of the box new Mark 4. So, OP, I would buy a Leupold only from a retailer with a great return policy, like Cabela's, Brownells, or Midway.

Last edited:
If you review my posts you'll see I'm not a fan of Leupold. You apparently are a fan, given that you chose to make the above statement. Since you've taken us there, .

I didn't "take us there."

I cautioned the OP against those who wanted to try to take us there - into pure brand bashing / fanboy discussion. You'll notice I said, my overall good experience with Leupold is largely IRRELEVANT here.

Your VX-R experience is relevant.

I have scoped both of my Tikkas with the VXr. On my 30-06 mountain rifle, I have a custom 2-7x33 with firedot 4, I had leupold add the P5 dial from the VXr patrol. It is set up for fast acquisition in the woods and an occasional cross canyon shot. The firedot 4 is metric/mil (yes I understand that metric is linear and mil is angular, but the clicks are actually mil clicks). The reticle is nice and thick and move your eyes right to the dot.

On my prairie rifle (7mm mag), I have a 3-9x40 cds, the duplex is a little spaced further and thinner, but adequate.

Pros

The VXr comes with a 30mm tube and has 60 moa of travel vs the 52 of the VX3 (in same price range)

The dot will turn itself off after a few minutes and awakes when you move the scope

The dot is not obtrusive, you can turn it down very low for shooting in the thicket, or bright for daylight field hunting

(not real important) but aesthetically, the VXr has a profile and fit similar to most higher end scopes.

Tracks excellently

Plenty of eye relief

Cons of a sort.

The VXr is built with VXII glass (equivalent) not speculation or subjective, it was stated by Leupold marketing in a video I posted a couple of days ago.

Subjectively, I have compared the VXr and VX3 side by side and found the VX3 to be a bit sharper at the high end and better low light performance.

The gold ring lifetime warranty only applies to the glass, body and erector. Electronics are only covered for two years. This is known as the Gold ring electronics Warranty.

Magnification factor is less than the VX3, where you have 2-7, 3-9, 4-12 . The VX3 2.5-8, 3.5-10, 4.5-14

The VX3 has a ranging feature with their standard duplex, you bracket a deer and adjust the mag ring, then look at the ring and read your range. Not a show stopper, but just a matter of convenience.

In the end the vxr will shine in the woods and thicket, the dot is not necessary for prairie hunting. If the rifle is for prairie, bean field, or canyon, I would opt for the VX3. The VXr is a very nice scope, just that the VX3 has a bit better glass and coatings.

Attachments

• DSC06769.jpg
    DSC06769.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC05923.jpg
    DSC05923.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I have the VX-R Patrol with the Firedot TMR reticle, 3-9x. For the money, it is an excellent scope for multiple uses. Firedot is amazing, glass is super, build quality is good, turrets impressive but the reticle sucks. If you are dialling or just using the red dot I think you will be very happy with this on a hunting rig.

check out the last YouTube video from 8451 Tactical. He's a member here and did a mini review of this scope this week.

I have a VX-R 3-9x40 with Ballistic Firedot on my Marlin XL7 in .30-06 (mounted in Talley one-piece bases). Very happy with the scope after hunting this season in WY. The Ballistic Firedot isn't the best reticle for precision range work, but really worked nice in the field on game animals. Especially when quickly trying to acquire the target. Got my elk at about 200 yds offhand with the scope set at 5x. Also, at least for my rifle, the drops worked out pretty close to 300, 400, and 500 when zeroed at 200 yds. I plan to purchase a couple more for my other hunting rifles.