• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm First Impressions

Fried Chicken Blowout

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
Meeker, Colorado
After shooting my first field match last year I'm hooked on that style of shooting vs just shooting on a range in Multi-Gun matches. The match I shot was the Thunder Beast Arms Team Challenge, which was totally awesome. It was about the most fun I've ever had shooting. My partner and I sucked but it was great. During the match I used a Burris Tac30 which worked okay but really left me wanting more since it's only a 1-4x optic. It was great to about 300 yards and okay to 400 yards, but beyond that I could't hit much of anything. I have since upgraded to the Burris MTAC 1-4x for Multi-Gun matches and it works great for that. But I wanted a little more for being able to spot my own shots, adjust for wind, and locate targets... Which was a bitch for the 4x scope.

One of the shooters that's headed to this years match asked Zak what he would suggest for a carbine setup. So I decided to try to take Zak's suggestions... Knowing that there was so much run and gun short range stuff I didn't want too much power since you're limited to a single optic. But shooting out to 550 yards pushed me into wanting more power. I settled on a 3-9x as what I was looking for and I needed illumination for the night stage. I turned in a really quick time on last years night stage so I'm hoping to repeat that performance. It was pretty much the only good shooting I did. So anyways, on with the story... The others I was looking at were the Vortex 2.5-10x PST (kind of heavy and large) and the SS 3-9x (No illumination, but the only FFP scope I was looking at). Then I came across the Leupold VX-R Patrol in 3-9x but couldn't find shit about it. It seemed like there was noting written about it so far. Trusting that Leupold didn't totally screw up the design I went for it. I was looking for compact and light as one of the primary features the this seemed to be smaller and lighter than the other two I was looking at and it was illuminated with low profile knobs.

After searching a ton for the best price, I discovered that Scott from Liberty Optics was having a sale on them for $559. I place my order Sunday night and then doing my usual worrying, I bugged Scott a bunch about when it would ship. I'm headed out tomorrow to get DOPE on a new load for the carbine the scope is going on and I really wanted it. Scott got it in the mail on Tuesday and I got it today as Scott promised. Thanks Scott!

It came in a cool digital camp Leupold Tactical Optics box... So you know its bad ass being that it say tactical... Okay, just kidding.

IMG_0302 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

I pulled it out and fired up the illumination. The illumination is kind of limited since the reticle does not illuminate, it's just the center dot that lights. It's actually pretty good. I compare it to the #9 setting on the AimPoint H1 with less of a star burst. It's totally visible in full daylight without any issues.

IMG_0303 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

The TMR reticle is a little different than the ones in the Mk4. There are no .2 Mil hash marks on the outside edge and being a SFP scope it appears as though they made it a little heavy since you can't zoom into it. The glass is very clear, and super bright. The eye relief is about 4.5" at 3x and 4" at 9x with a pretty flexible eye box, much more so that the Vortex PST that I had before.

IMG_0305 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

I'm going to just to a second post since I don't know how many photos can be placed in a single post... Be back in a second!

Okay, moving forward... The magnification adjustment is very smooth, light and fast. It doesn't take much force or movement to go from 3x to 9x.

IMG_0306 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

My plan is to order a throw lever from Charlie Drissel which is who I prefer for my other optics. I also went ahead and stuck a bubble level on it, I can use any help I can get. It will give me an idea of what I'm doing in training and maybe modify what I have been doing based on what I see as reality. We'll see, it's the first time I've used one. And for $20 from Brownell's I figured it was worth the try.

IMG_0315 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

Moving on forward, the low profile knobs look like a direct knock off of NightForce. The texture is very nice... But that's about there the niceness stops. There is no zero stop, which isn't that big of a deal since I'll likely be doing hold overs for the most part. The clicks are audible and tactical but a little light for me. The PST I had prior was much better.

IMG_0307 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

IMG_0308 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

So onto the ubercool tactical logo on the bottom...

IMG_0309 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

Notice how no country of origin is listed there where most manufacturers post that. I can't find any reference to where the scope was made. Are all Leupold products made in the USA? I'm not sure, maybe someone can answer that for me. I would think if they were, Leupold would print it all over the scope and the box so everyone knows. I can't find it anywhere.

IMG_0310 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

Re: Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm First Impressions

During the mounting process I was comparing the ADM mount that I got for this optic to the older one on my MTAC and noticed they they changed the design a little...

Here's the old one. Notice the three top screws...

IMG_0316 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

Here's the new one...

IMG_0317 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

This is really a non issue considering you really don't need the three screws on the top. But I also noticed that the recoil lugs on the new one are a little larger and there is almost no slop when installing it onto the rail. I have had two ADM mounts loosen up a little over the first few months. Enough that you can feel the optic move if you really mess with it. My only assumption is that either the cross bolts stretch a tad at first or some finish wears off the lever contact points and it increases the tolerances a tad. After tightening them up I have not had any additional issues.

Here's some comparison shots of the Leupold next to the Burris MTAC. I'm amazed at how compact the Leupold is for a 3-9x.

IMG_0318 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

IMG_0319 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

IMG_0320 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

IMG_0321 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

IMG_0322 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

Here's the real kicker... Not sure how this happened, but the Leupold is only 0.3 oz heavier than the Burris MTAC. Not sure what the deal is, but that's interesting.

IMG_0324 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

IMG_0323 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

In all, it looks like a solid scope. The reticle is useful and the illumination is a nice touch. The interesting note about the illumination is the fact that it will time out every 5 mins and turn itself off. Then when the scope is moved it will automatically turn itself back on to the same brightness setting. That will for sure save me from killing batteries all the time. But I don't plan on even having the illumination on much at all. It may be useful for the closer range rapid transition targets but I don't see it being used otherwise.

I'll be headed out to zero and get some DOPE on new loads tomorrow. After that I'm headed to a match on Sunday and then I'll get it to the indoor 100 yard range and see if it's tracking and repeatable like it should be. I'll post updates as I get more info.

Thanks for the write up! I almost pulled the trigger on a 1-4x the other day now you're making me second guess my decision. lol

I don't think this would replace a 1-4x type optic if you're needing close range. But on the 3x there is very little distortion in the edges of the FOV, I was quite impressed considering all the 1-4x scopes I've had do have more distortion at 1x that this does at 3x. I still think 3x in the low end is pretty limiting for 3-Gun style shooting. Hopefully it works well for what I'm doing.

I just put one of these on an AR in a Larue Mount. Really like it. Also got mine from Liberty Optics. Scott is great to do business with. I zeroed at 50 yards. Moved to 300 @ 9X. Held over a .5 mil and I was smacking steel. At 200 and in, the illuminated reticle / center dot, was fast on small steel. I like the eye box. It is forgiving and makes getting on target fast. Overall, very happy with the product for the price. I think this scope would actually be great for 3gun open division with an offset mrd or aimpoint. You could even make it work in tactical division with offset iron sights for the close stuff.

You're right... Open guys, especially in field matches like Rocky Mountain might love it. I was being self centered and looking at it from the perspective of Tac Ops.

Interesting review so far. I've been considering the 3x9 Patrol for a 3-Gun FAL due to the lighter weight and (hoped far) ability to shoot at longer distances. Please post your thoughts after it's had some range time - good, bad or ugly, as the case may be.

ETA: What are the OD measurements for the ocular and objective ends?

So I got out yesterday and got it zeroed and shot out 150 rounds of my 75gr loads. I'm just starting to use Shooter on the iPhone and I was not getting correct data. We did 3 different guns with it and they were all totally wrong. I'm not sure what I screwed up but it's calling for about twice the hold over as is needed on two of the guns and the 3rd I figured out my mistake. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out the issue with mine so that limited my hits. Once zeroed, we were shooting from 200 - 500 on 8" and 10" plates. I only had 1 hit out of about 20 round on the 500 yard plate. That one must have been a fluke as I could not repeat it. I just couldn't get the dope right. Consistent hits were made at all other distances and 200 - 300 yard shots are super fast.

The difference in eye relief from 3x to 9x became an issue and I had to move the scope back on the rail as I couldn't get proper eye relief even when prone. Once moved it was pretty good and now I'm playing with stock position to fine tune things. The at 9x the field of view is a little narrow. The reticle has been mentioned to be too "thick" by several people... But I didn't find it an issue. The max I will ever shoot it is 550 yards so I'm not too worried. I could see that beyond that you may have a problem, but with 10" plates at 500 yesterday there was no issue in being able see the target around the reticle and doing precise holds on the target, I just couldn't hit shit beyond 400 yards, that was just my deal and the fact that I was rushed at that point and had to get home.

The biggest issue I see with the reticle, that I didn't realize whenI bought it.. This is the TMR reticle that I was expecting...

1955_r3.jpg

In actuality the 0.5 mil marks are almost the same size as the 1 mil marks so it makes it difficult to get down to say 3.5 mils since you have to count all the hash marks rather than counting down just 3 large ones. I'm not sure if this is a byproduct of the reticle being thicker and or not being a FFP where you really zoom into the reticle. Not sure if that would bother other people or not...

The glass is super clear and bright, I have no issues with that. I also like the knobs better than I did before so I retract my prior worries about the knobs. I'm headed to a match tomorrow and I'll see what I think after that.

Got the lever today. Great item, well made and perfect fit.

IMG_0413 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

Installed with ease...

IMG_0414 by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

Went to the 100 yard indoor range today and shot the box drill. Everything went fine and returned to zero without any issue. Removed the scope on the ADM mount and reinstalled with perfect zero return. I'm back to thinking the knobs suck. Their clicks are mushy and it's hard to tell if you're actually on zero or one click off because there is play in the knobs. Other than that, everything went well. Didn't shoot it in the match on Sunday since it was mostly unsupported and 200 yards. I used my 1-4x instead.

Thanks for the review. Am pretty happy with mine.

photo-1_zps7ef17a83.jpg

photo14_zps1029a3f0.jpg

photo13_zps40180013.jpg

photo1-1_zps6d60a69a.jpg

I'm still digging mine. It's a solid optic for the price. I might move on to something a little different but its more related to my need to support a rifle partner shooting out to 1200 yards in the matches we shoot. The 9x just doesn't do that for me.

Perfect scope for what I wanted! Put it on my 18" stealth upper. Out of the mount without any adjustments hit paper @100 yards with m855.
Where did you get the level for the variable zoom?

If anyone is hot to buy the 3-9x VX-R Patrol, hit me up via PM as mine MIGHT be fore sale. Gotta workout how I'm going to share my Bushnell HDMR between my bolt gun and my AR. If it works I'll just swap it back and forth.

Ill be the Debbie Downer. Btw I've owned two vx-r 3-9's patrols a 1-4, and 1-6.

Leupolds starts well, then dicks everything up.

Push button fire dot sucks.
Reticle is way to thick covering a one inch dot at a mere 100 yards is retarded.
It's not a TMR reticle.
The reticle subtensions suck. Why have a SFP reticle if your hold marks arent large enough.
Move to the old out of date "SPR" reticle same as everything above and your first hold line is 2.5 mils. That's a 400 yard hold.

Back to the drawing board for leupold again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill be the Debbie Downer. Btw I've owned two vx-r 3-9's patrols a 1-4, and 1-6.

Leupolds starts well, then dicks everything up.

Push button fire dot sucks.
Reticle is way to thick covering a one inch dot at a mere 100 yards is retarded.
It's not a TMR reticle.
The reticle subtensions suck. Why have a SFP reticle if your hold marks arent large enough.
Move to the old out of date "SPR" reticle same as everything above and your first hold line is 2.5 mils. That's a 400 yard hold.

Back to the drawing board for leupold again...
</div></div>

I wouldn't call you a Debbie Downer... I agree with everything you say, especially about how they fucked up the reticle. It needs to be way thinner and the .5 vs 1 mil subtensions need to be more obvious. I have really good vision and i can't tell on the fly all the time if I'm looking at the half or full mil mark. But for the money, what do you feel offers more while being a good quality optic? Maybe the SS 3-9x? I've never fondled one so I wouldn't know...

The best thing the leupold has going for it in the patrol line up is the over all size.

The Pst 2.5-10 blows it away on ease of use. Reticle, holdovers, illumination.
I haven't run the SS 3-9 with the mil-quad so I can't comment. Then standard mildot lacked.

Personally I'm waiting for anyone of these manufacturers to produce a scope intended for the AR. What's amazing is they can't seem to stop fucking them up.

Vortex has the FFP 2.5-10 coming out, hope they didn't dick it up. Looks like they did already though.

This seems to be a subject that pisses me off apparently, sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best thing the leupold has going for it in the patrol line up is the over all size.
</div></div>

Exactly, compact and light. Easy to hump around compared to other glass of the same power. My Burris 1-4x weights more. I looked at the 2.5-10 and wondered if it was any better, I do like their turrets way more as I had a larger PST in the past. A FFP would be nice.

What I really like is the whole Nikon line that was "made for the AR" that was all total shit and all based on 1" tubes. Those guys are all a dumb as the day is long.

Leupold didn't really do anything spectacular with these scopes. Seems all they did is look at Night Force and copy their scopes and packaged them in a more affordable format.

All SFP and FFP scope reticles should not be so thick as to cover a one inch dot at 100 yards. There's not reason for it, step the reticle down at half the thickness at the actuall cross hair. .5 up, down, left, and right. This were Bushnell got it right with the HDMR. Or give a open box like the Razor EBR 2b. This isn't rocket science but remains a complete mystery to most scope manufacturers. Again that's were the SS 3-9 lacks, covers a one inch dot at 100 yards and could have been fixed with a open box.

Why is it hard to create a complete low profile scope with the correct reticle? The new PST could have been the fix, but they put those same goofy ass large stick up in the way turrets. I've heard someone say "operators need large knobs for shooting with gloves." That's the most cheese dick reason I've ever heard. One, "operators" probably aren't going to be using mid priced optics. Two, it's 2013 and your still wearing wool wookie gloves, congratulations your a fucken idiot. Want cold? I work on barges year round. Come float on a giant piece of fucken steel in the winter with me. I don't wear wool wookie gloves.

SCOPE MANUFACTURERS
Low profile knobs
Illumination
A precise reticle. I shoot a Noveske, it's scary accurate, your scope is holding it back.
Light weight
Affordable
We don't need another $1500-2500 scope, were covered.

Agree the reticle is thick but it does help to quickly acquire it esp with the firedot. I dont think the "Patrol" was intended for precise shots at 100-yrds so dont agree it is retarded.

Saw this thread and I had to bring it back to life since I am currently looking at purchasing this same scope (VX-R 3-9x40 with the firedot TMR).

My main question is in regards to the durability of these scopes and how well the tracking holds up with use?

I don't expect to get Nightforce quality out of this scope, I only hope to purchase a scope that holds its zero, has good light transmission and "tracks true" over the life of the scope.

The main purpose of this optic will be for hunting out to 500 yards and over the years I have become fond of dialing for my bullet drop and holding for wind. Weight is also a big concern for me, which is one of the reasons why I chose this scope!

Any comments or ideas are more then welcome and I hope to gain even more wisdom from the shooters here on the hide.

Thanks and Shoot Straight,
Josh

Mine holds zero, tracks well and has good light. However, if you are holding for wind this scope might not be ideal. The reticle substensions are very small and it is hard to discern the halfs from the full partic against brush or earthy landscape. Dial, use the firedot and it is perfect, Holding will be more an art than science unless you have time to make your shots.

For weight I don't think you can do any better. The optic is very light and compact. I had no issues with tracking or holding zero. The reticle just blows for long range on small targets. If you're hunting deer at 500 yards you''ll be fine. Coyote would likely be okay, but no way on anything smaller.

The glass is better than anything I've seen in the price range and better than my Bushnell HDMR.

Based on my new 1.25-4x VX-R Patrol, they may have upgraded the knobs from the 3-9x that I had. The new scope seems more crisp and tight. Hopefully that passed over to the 3-9x. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better hunting scope especially if you're hunting in early or late light.

I have one on my 18" AR.

It's a great all around scope. I've had mine out to 1000 yards and it worked Fine.

For 500ish yards and in and a mix of closer stuff and long range it's been great.

anyone find out where the scope is made? If the USA this def. looks like a contender for a hunting rifle, esp for the weight. the SN-3 is a touch heavy for a brush gun.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!!! I really appreciate the knowledge being passed on as it will affect whether I purchase this scope.

Another quick question while I have some experienced users of this optic on this thread.

My intended purpose of this scope will be for hunting deer/elk on a 30-06 out to 500. In your opinion, is a top end of 9x magnification enough to shoot deer at 500? I really haven't had much experience out past 200 so I just want your personal opinions on using a 9x magnification scope mainly on deer/elk out to 500, and maybe the occasional coyote that pops up..

Thanks again everyone for the replies. I appreciate all feedback related to this specific optic (VX-R 3-9x40 with Firedot TMR).

Shoot Straight,
Josh

Yes, deer and elk will be outstanding with this optic. The coyote will work find as well. 9x if plenty for either. You'd be hard pressed to find something better at the same price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, deer and elk will be outstanding with this optic. The coyote will work find as well. 9x if plenty for either. You'd be hard pressed to find something better at the same price. </div></div>

Its good to hear this from the OP!

Thanks everyone for the responses and again, all opinions regarding this optic are still welcome as I will probably be purchasing this scope next weekend.

Thanks and Shoot Straight,
Josh

I have had zero issues with mine.
I got it for an AR10 but it ended up on my Savage 30-06 and I too have had it out to 1,000yds with no troubles at all. It tracks perfect, the clicks are positive and repeatable and I don't have much trouble using the 1/2 mil hash marks during daylight shooting (which is it's intended use for me) and as a reflex style of optic it works great when you adjust the brightness to the current conditions. For me, eye relief is not an issue even when prone at 9x.
This particular Savage rifle started out as a hunting rifle only but now it will serve double duty...
Now I have to get another one for my AR10.

i just wanted to add here.

there's a reason why the firedot tactical milling reticle is the way it is. in order to bring the fiber optic rod to the center and make a true visible(in strong sun light) dot in the center,which is what the firedot is all about,they had to "lay"(similar to laying down physical cable to your speakers or computer) the fiber optic down using the reticle itself. they can't leave the rod exposed somewhere along the reticle or the image.

this means 2 things. first,the reticle must be uninterrupted to the edge and second,the reticle must be thick enough to actually hide the rod. this is the limitation(so far) to the technology,however,it's giving you a true daylight visible dot. i suppose they could make the rod thinner but that would probably affect how visible the dot is and it already seems real small to me. also,the light traveling through the rod releases at the very tip,which is the dot you see,so you can't have an open center unless you want that dot someplace else other than the center,which wouldn't make sense.

you'll note that the standard TMR reticle is different(interrupted and open center) and the illumination on those is different,more of a standard illumination technology(they call it 3rd generation,whatever that means).

also,FFP would exacerbate the thickness "issue".

i dunno,i just wanted to throw that out there.

having said that,there's no excuse for making the .5 mark appear (to your eye) to be the same size.

Reactions: drewthebrave