• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-R Patrol or Vortex Viper PST

Rem5R

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2005
Mississippi
Looking to purchase one of the following scopes to place on top of my Rock River Arms Coyote. This set-up will mainly be used for punching paper, and then an occasional hunt from time to time.

Option 1: Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40

Option 2: Vortex Viper PST 2.5-20x44

I would like your opinions on these 2 choices. I have handled the Leupold option. However, I have never had my hands on a Vortex scope.

I have been interested in the Vortex Viper PST for some time now. Since there are no Vortex dealers near my area, its hard to place my hands on one to look at.

Thanks
Rem5R

Re: Leupold VX-R Patrol or Vortex Viper PST

Leupold-better glass and I like the turrets for coyoted hunting.

I have never looked through a Leupold VX-R Patrol but I do have that Vortex on my coyote rifle. Personally I think you would be happy with either one. I am bias for Vortex since that is all I own and like all of my Vortex products very well. The only advantage that the Leupold has over the Vortex is parallax adjustment. I wish the Vortex had parallax adjustment but I have never had a problem focusing through the Vortex. The Vortex does however have a little more range in power.

Thanks for the input guys. However, please keep the opinions coming.

One question I have is how positive are the clicks on the Leupold and the Vortex? The reason I am asking is due to a few previous Mark 4 M3 scopes I have used. The turrets had a mushy feeling when making adjustments. Is this the case with the VX-R Patrol, or have they corrected that? How about the clicks on a Vortex PST?

Thanks
Rem5R

Neither will be perfect with the clicks, I liked the PST better myself. The reticule is finer and fully illuminated rather than just a big bright center dot.

I have owned the patrol and the Viper HS 2.5-10. Glass was a bit better on the patrol but the ret was just too damn thick for me. I really liked the illuminated dot though. Gotta give the nod to the patrol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captramrod01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned the patrol and the Viper HS 2.5-10. Glass was a bit better on the patrol but the ret was just too damn thick for me. I really liked the illuminated dot though. Gotta give the nod to the patrol.</div></div>

Have heard that the TMR reticle in the Patrol is difficult at best, comments?

I think they would be pretty close. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Reno

I thought the Patrol's reticle was almost uselessly coarse when when I tried it.

Both are good optics and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

PST=Vortex warranty if ever needed...

vx-r patrol seems like a better made optic but the reticle is a little thick for my liking. glass on either is great. clicks are a little more positive on the vx-r. plus I like the motion sensor feature where it turns the dot off after 4 minutes of no movement, and comes back on when you pick it back up. I think you'll be happy either way you go.

Weaver has a 2-10x36 out now too I think if open to other options. It's pretty new so not sure if dealers are even stocking yet. It is FFP mil/mil if that is your thing. I believe it has a dot too with a EMDR reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VXR = warranty if you ever need it </div></div>

A moot point in this instance as Vortex has about the best warranty you could ask for.

leupold pretty much set the industry standard for excellent warranty long before vortex even existed.

Yes, vortex has an excellent warranty. The problem is, it gets used far too frequently.

All you have to do is look at all of the "vortex CS rocks!!!" threads out there.

I am NOT saying Leupold is without issue, but to imply that Vortex is a superior product because their warranty is so awesome is a specious argument at best.

Understanding that all mechanical devices are prone to failure, it seems to me that if you were to make the damn thing right the first time, you wouldn't need to use the CS so frequently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">leupold pretty much set the industry standard for excellent warranty long before vortex even existed.

Yes, vortex has an excellent warranty. The problem is, it gets used far too frequently.

All you have to do is look at all of the "vortex CS rocks!!!" threads out there.

I am NOT saying Leupold is without issue, but to imply that Vortex is a superior product because their warranty is so awesome is a specious argument at best.

Understanding that all mechanical devices are prone to failure, it seems to me that if you were to make the damn thing right the first time, you wouldn't need to use the CS so frequently. </div></div>

You seem to not mention Leupold has a huge failure rate. I wouldn't even consider leupold in the top 5.

When you consider the total number of failures vs the total number of units produced, Leupold has a far better track record than does Vortex.

Got the numbers on that? Or you just feel like blowing smoke up my ass today?

The entire mk4 line goes tits up. Don't think I'm hating, I like leupys but let's keep it real.

How often do you hear about a Razor shitting the bed?

I found the VX-R reticle a little coarse, it's about 1 moa thick at 9X. Also, the Leupold doesn't have parallax adjustment on that model, so they're equivalent in that respect. I found the adjustments on the VX-R to be positive, but almost too easy to turn. Fortunately the turrets are very low profile, which I really liked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the numbers on that? Or you just feel like blowing smoke up my ass today?

The entire mk4 line goes tits up. Don't think I'm hating, I like leupys but let's keep it real.

How often do you hear about a Razor shitting the bed? </div></div>

Wow, really?
Every MK 4 ever produced?

Lets talk about the crossfire and diamondback series.

Let alone the PST's, which have not been terrible, but not exactly trouble free.

The Razor?
Yes, it is an outstanding scope.
It is also made in Japan, not the Philippines.

I don't even own a Leupold, but they are the largest manufacture of riflescopes in the world.
They put out more scopes in a year than Vortex, Burris and Weaver combined.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the numbers on that? Or you just feel like blowing smoke up my ass today?

How often do you hear about a Razor shitting the bed? </div></div>

Wow, really?
Every MK 4 ever produced?

<span style="color: #CC0000">What scope goes down the most? Ask Rifles only. It's Leupold, period. They end up lending out scopes so the guys can continue with the class.</span>

Lets talk about the crossfire and diamondback series.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Lets talk about Rifleman, VX series.</span>

Let alone the PST's, which have not been terrible, but not exactly trouble free.

The Razor?
Yes, it is an outstanding scope.
It is also made in Japan, not the Philippines.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Im not about to break up Leupolds entire product line. </span>

I don't even own a Leupold, but they are the largest manufacture of riflescopes in the world.
They put out more scopes in a year than Vortex, Burris and Weaver combined. <span style="color: #CC0000">Doesn't help when they put shit out. But your right the average person who buys a scope will never know. They don't turn them fancy knobs back and forth. </span></div></div>

You can continue to believe that Leupolds are great scope. I learned differently from experience.

You don't have a clue do you?

I don't own a Leupold, I believe that the tactical series are overpriced for what they are.

But a PST is not nirvana, so stop trying to infer that they are somehow superior.

My 5-20 Razer shit the bed right out of the box. It had an adjustable objective and a side focus ! ( objective came unscrewed from the body) I did not pay $2000 to send it back tor CS so it went back to Sportsmans.

Also had a Premier with issues out of the box. S&B has been having tons of issues as of late as well.

I thought I broke my NF once, turns out the rifle broke!! So far NF is the only I have not had issues with.

Seems like quality control has taken a back seat as of lately.

Nope, I don't have a clue.

I've owned just about every $2000 scope and below. What I know is from actuall experience, not playing on the Internet.

To directly answer the OPs question the PST is the superior scope for his application. The PST reticle is thinner, the reticle itself is a much better design. The holdovers are clearly marked and graduated to a very fast and ease of use reticle. Non of this can be said about the VX-R. The VX-R is great for fast target acquisition do to the grossly thick reticle covering a inch dot at 100 yards. The graduations of the reticle are laughable. The illumination is annoying as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, I don't have a clue.

I've owned just about every $2000 scope and below. What I know is from actuall experience, not playing on the Internet.

To directly answer the OPs question the PST is the superior scope for his application. The PST reticle is thinner, the reticle itself is a much better design. The holdovers are clearly marked and graduated to a very fast and ease of use reticle. Non of this can be said about the VX-R. The VX-R is great for fast target acquisition do to the grossly thick reticle covering a inch dot at 100 yards. The graduations of the reticle are laughable. The illumination is annoying as hell.
</div></div>

You apparently misunderstood me.
I did not say you have no experience with scopes, you continue to operate under some assumption that I am somehow a Leupold fanboy, and your replies continue to drive that home.

My original assertion is that Leupold also has very good warranty service. Another poster implied that the Vortex warranty was reason enough to buy one.

In my opinion, it is not. They have had some problems with the PST line, and just because one can return it for service isn't reason enough to buy one.

FWIW, I agree with EVERYTHING you listed as the reason to choose the PST over the VXR Patrol. It is objective and factual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
boone said:
My original assertion is that Leupold also has very good warranty service. Another poster implied that the Vortex warranty was reason enough to buy one.

In my opinion, it is not. They have had some problems with the PST line, and just because one can return it for service isn't reason enough to buy one.

</div></div>

Sorry, not what I implied. You stated Leupold has a good warranty. I stated that the Vortex warranty is at least as good as the Leupold, so the warranty should NOT be a deciding factor between these two scopes. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, just trying to help others make a decision. I can't say which is better as I do not own a Leupold.

Sorry I was away for a few days guys. I do appreciate everyone's input on the 2 options I listed. I still have not made my mind up yet at this point. However, I will be test driving the VX-R Patrol this weekend mounted on top of a Rock River Predator 308. I am also looking forward to some trigger time.

Keep sending your input between the 2 options.

Thanks
Rem5R

I debated this for my AR that I got in December. I wanted a 1-4 or 6, got it down to these two after deciding the SWFA was just too much, as good as the reviews were. Now I admit I am a Vortex fanboy; I have the PST 6-24 FFP and 6-24 SFP on different rifles, so take that with the measure of salt necessary...but I freaking love the Vortex PST 1-4! Interestingly, I find the reticle smaller than I desire for close in stuff, but farther out it was perfect. And I'm not clearing buildings anytime soon anyway. Sorry I cannot compare the two directly, but there's my opinion.