• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX5-HD & VX6-HD

kdykstra97

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2020
Michigan
Hey Guys, just purchased my third Browning X-Bolt: this time in 6.5cm. I have been shopping around for a proper optic and the Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 and VX6-HD 3-18x50 have constantly been finding themselves at the top of my list. I've also looked at the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5x25x50 as well as the Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50. What are your thoughts on the models mentioned above? Is the VX6 far more superior than the VX5 for the significant price increase? I will be mostly shooting targets with this 6.5 as I usually hunt game with my 30-06 or .300WM.

I have two VX6HDs, a 4-24x52 on a 17 Hornet and a 3-18x44 that should be coming any day now.

I’ve never used a VX5HD, but they lack the built in electronic level and don’t come with those fantastic Alumina caps, both of which vx6hd’s come with. The 6’s have more reticle selections too.

The extra zoom on the top end of the VX6hd 3-18 is nice. If money isn’t tight I don’t see a reason to go VX5HD.

I believe (but have no first hand experiences) that the 5 and 6 lines share similar glass, and only the greater options (reticles, level, caps, maybe illumination) make the 6s more pricey.

I have a PST gen ii 5-25 in a box, unmounted. Just got it. The Leupold has locking turrets, the PST doesn’t. I can’t give you an honest glass comparo until the PST is mounted and used. My PST is FFP, so not a apples to apples comparison with the SFP Leupold.

A more apt competitor is Vortex’s new SFP Razor LHT 3-15 lineup, either 42mm or 50mm, all with locking turrets and Vortex has MRAD options! I do believe the Leupold’s have a slight FOV advantage. https://vortexoptics.com/riflescopes/razor-hd-lht.html

Edit: just noticed you’re shooting targets only. Well, maybe you should move to more target (March) or tactical type scopes for that. But if you like Leupold in SFP, consider the 7-35 VX5HD or the 4-24 VX6HD. I didn’t want to like my 4-24 with the varmint reticle as compared to a Vortex Razor 4.5-27, but dang it, it works well on a flat shooting gun. Still like the Razor though! Leupold also makes pure benchrest scopes, I believe 45x.

Last edited:
Thanks for the very informational reply, I think the small features within the VX6HD do warrant the higher price tag. I did check out the new razor and I was just not a huge fan of the reticle personally, plus I would like a little more zoom than 3-15. Let me know what you think of the pst gen ii! Money isn't an issue so I have no problem getting the VX6HD just wanted a little more input on everything before I went and bought one.

I have 3 VX6HD's 3X18 for targets and hunting. I find them to be great optics.

Semper Fi! Mike

VX-6HD is a touch better, but not by all that much. You get a little more flexibility in terms of magnification range, but in terms of overall image quality they are not that far off from each other.

If you are looking at the VX-5/VX-6 the Vortex model you should look at is the new Razor HD-LHT 3-15x44 or 3-15x50. I comapred VX-6HD 3-18x44 to the original HD LH 3-15x42 and optically it was a wash.

ILya

Reactions: robgt00