• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold VX5HD Reticle Change

Cswedeen

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2019
El Paso, TX
Been looking for a lightweight hunting scope for my 6.5 Grendel deer rifle, and I've mostly settled on the Leupold VX5hd 3-15x44. I really like the htmr reticle, but it seems to never be in stock, as well as not having the firedot. The standard firedot duplex is in stock however.
My question is can I change the reticle to a tmoa or tmr reticle later when the custom shop reopens, and keep the firedot capability? Seems like it might be a good hybrid that for some inexplicable reason Leupold doesn't offer already.

While it seems like extra work, the total cost would come in well under the vx6hd cost. Unless someone has a TMR vx6hd laying around 😂
Anyone attempted something like this? Thanks!

Might consider the mk5hd 3.6-18. Those have better reticles and turrets for$1800ish. Or check the PX for a used one

Might consider the mk5hd 3.6-18. Those have better reticles and turrets for$1800ish. Or check the PX for a used one
I've definitely looked into them heavily, and will get one eventually I'm sure for a dedicated LR rig. The reason I'm not getting a mk5hd is the 6 Oz difference, and the huge premium for illumination. With the mil program I can get a firedot duplex vx5hd for over a grand less than an illum mk5hd, which is definitely a factor

The reason I'm not getting a mk5hd is the 6 Oz difference, and the huge premium for illumination.
I fully understand ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain... but the optic is the one place I would sacrifice some weight to get a better product or at least exactly what I want. Save the weight elsewhere.

By the time you go through the custom shop, I doubt the remaining price difference will justify the time between having a "good enough" optic verse what you actually want out of it. That is assuming the custom shop can even do what you want.

I've asked this question but no they don't offer either reticle with the FireDot.
They won't even do the Windplex with the FireDot, which is a shame.

A Mil 2-12 TMR FireDot would be a sweet scope.

A mate has bought a 3-15 with the HTMR reticle which is pretty well sized to be easy to see on low magnification.

That is frustrating, as they offer the budget 3-9 scopes with firedot mil reticles. Seems insane they wouldn't offer it in their premium lines.