• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX5HD tracking

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
Well I ordered a VX5HD 3-15 to use on my 300wsm for hunting this fall. I wanted to check the tracking and it was off.

I made a tall target and it was decent until about 15moa. I didn't get a picture of the one i shot yesterday, but was similar at 0-15moa and started walking up and right.

But it returned to zero everytime.

Shot 1 at zero
Shot 2 at 5moa
Shot 3 at 10moa
Shot 4 at 15moa
Shot 5 at 10moa
Shot 6 at zero

20200822_143139.jpg

Reactions: S_R
Thanks for report. I just ordered today same scope from black orvis do to extra code for 20% off. Now I’m not sure if I did right thing.

Interesting. I have one on my 300wsm and it’s flawless
24F28A0A-2C40-497F-AFF0-268570532607.jpeg

I have run my VX5 3-15, Impact-29 regularly out to 800-- dialing (up to 22moa) and holding over- round count is right at 350 and no issues so far (knocks on wood)

I'd have to do more testing.

Shot 5 is further left than shot 4 is right.

Hard to tell what the elevation lines are. How's the elevation seem to track?? Maybe it's way off and I just don't see it.

I'm no tracking test expert. I just don't see that being conclusive enough for me to say the scope is off.

What's you and the gun typically shoot at 100yds??

If the gun is 1moa at 100yds you are within the guns limits as far as windage deviation goes. Looking at shots 3/5 that looks to be about MOA.

Reactions: wind gypsy
Test tracking with the scope in a solid mount and just looking through it at a vertical line. Way too many variables when you’re actually shooting. Adjust it up and down and see if it deviates. If the scope is solidly mounted, as in a vise bolted down, and the scope is 100% plumb/level as is your target line, it should track perfectly.

You may just have your scope mounted canted. Also, are you sure the line is plumb?

This was with a LRI (an accurized proof barreled m70) 300wsm. It usually shoots around 1/2 moa or better. I will pull it and try it on my AIAX. I have no device to test the scope except a rifle.

Yes, the line was leveled with a level and the scope was aligned as well.

This was with a LRI (an accurized proof barreled m70) 300wsm. It usually shoots around 1/2 moa or better. I will pull it and try it on my AIAX. I have no device to test the scope except a rifle.

Yes, the line was leveled with a level and the scope was aligned as well.

LRI is fine, 1/2 MOA is fine, but there's a ton of variables in shooting (to include your AIAX) that make this non-ideal. How are you leveling your scope in your rifle mount? That's a very slight deviation, so you really need to remove variables to make sure it's scope-related. How'd you 'level' the line? Same with the scope. Details will matter with a small deviation like this one. There's no need to fire another shot in this pursuit, it's not doing you any favors. Put a machinists level on the rail, then use shims/stock ground flat (flat in machining terms, sub-thousandths) to level the scope in mount before torquing it down. Clamp the whole thing into a vise of some sort, make sure the top of rail is still level, then go create your plumb line at an accurately measured distance, ensuring perfect plumb using a plumb bob or something at least as accurate. Adjust the scope verticle up/down and see what happens to POA through the reticle, making sure parallax isn't a factor. If it deviates, you've got it. If it doesn't, something else is up.

Keep in mind your mount may cause issues, too, if not properly machined, as you are trying to align the scope with the rifle, and if the mount is off then top of rail flat may not line up with top of mount flats, and the scope may be level with the mount but not with the rifle in that scenario.

I got a VX5 mil/mil version to mount on a friend’s rifle. I did a solid fixture tracking test up and down 10 MILS. It tracked perfectly. I think what you’re seeing is shooting error, or possible mounting cant. If it’s moving left or right, it’s most likely cant in either the mount or rifle is slightly canted. I’d pull the scope and try it in a solid fixture to be sure.