• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x40

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have a leupold vari-X III 6.5-20x40 EFR that has the Target Dot reticle. It also has high target knobs and has an extra set that are wider than the standard high knobs. This has a 1" tube.
I have spotted another Leupold- a VXIII 6.5-20x40 LR. This scope does not have the high target knobs, but does have finger adjustable knobs. This has a 30mm tube and a fine duplex reticle. Leupold shows it to have 90moa adjustment.

I planned on using the EFR on my Anschutz .22 rifle and have been looking around for another good scope.

Is there any reason to not buy this other Leupold? Later on I could have the turrets and reticle changed if I needed to.

I know these scopes aren't in the same league as a lot of scopes used here, but the Vari-X III scopes aren't junk either.

Every time anyone asks about a scope here they usually get dirested to a SS, or Millet or Falcon, etc. but I am not looking for an inexpensive scope. I can't afford an S&B or other high-end scope but I don't want to go cheap either. I also want to stay with a variable. I can dial it up for target work and back down if I need to.

Thoughts?

Jim

Re: Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x40

savvy the vari 3 w/premier reticles....another rip here on the Hide on luppy quality makes these older scopes somewhat desirable......US made......that are good ju-ju

I read that thread yesterday. I think you are saying to have Premier reticles installed- right?

I don't know how old this scope is. I have asked and am waiting for a reply.

I paid $450.00 for the Vari-X III 6.5-20x40 EFR scope I had to send in to leupold- the erector broke. It's on it's way now.

This other scope is a VX III 6.5-20x40 LR. I can get it for $500.00.

For those prices I should get my money's worth.

BTW, what does the LR, Long Range, mean on the Leupold scopes? Is it just the amount of elevation available?

Jim

Jim,

Besides scope adjustment range due to the 30mm tube, the LR series also has the side parallax adjustment. I believe the 1" models that have parallax adjustment use a front AO.

I have a VXIII 6.5-20x40 LR. Adjustments have been repeatable and I haven't had any issues.

I haven't used this scope at rimfire distances, but I don't think they are set-up to focus quite as close as the EFR series. You may want to check this out before buying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I read that thread yesterday. I think you are saying to have Premier reticles installed- right?

Jim</div></div>

...no...premier at the time had the franchise to repair and or install Leupold factory for Leupold....and do their own flavor of a mildot.....they have since fallen out of bed w/Leupold....THESE older scopes is what Lindy and myself are referring to.....premier currently will no longer do warranty work on Leupold

Thanks. From what I understand the latest Leupolds are not up to the standards of the older scopes. But they are better than, say, a SS or millet or Bushnell aren't they?

Would a Bushnell 3200 or 4200 be a better scope than the Leupold VX III 6.5-20x40 LR? Is there another scope in that same price range that's better?

Jim

The guy selling this latest Vari-X III finally answered some questions I had. From the serial number the scope was made in 2004. That puts it into the problem era- right?
Is it worth $500.00? Would it be better to just find another scope?

Jim

I passed on this scope. I finally got some pics. It has the low turrets for hunting and isn't exactly what I wanted. It wasn't a steal either.
I'll keep looking.
Jim