• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VXR Patrol 3-9x40 review

ccoker

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
Central Texas
www.tacticalgunreview.com
As I mentioned in my review on the Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4, I am VERY impressed with Leupolds new VXR line of scopes.

Glass quality in low light is comparable to the Trijicon Accupoint and is extremely clear, sharp, high resolution and bright.

The illumination system works very well, there is just a small dot that lights up at the center crosshair, while I didn't measure it I would estimate it;s about .5" at 100 yards

Small enough to allow me to shoot 1/2" groups with my test rifle, a Nosler Trophy Grade in 280AI.

It can be set extremely dim so that it does not hinder your ability to use it in low light like so many other lit reticles I have tried. And to me, it's bright enough to be easily seen in bright Texas sun.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Specs:</span>

Weight: 15.3 OZ

Length: 12.6"

Eye Relief: 3.7-4.2

TMR reticle with Mil and .5 mil has marks

.1 Mil turret adjustment

6 Mils per rev, 3 rev, 18 total

<span style="font-weight: bold">Why this scope?</span>

The scope is compact and light, has very good glass, matching mil reticle and turrets, good illumination system.

I mounted it on a Nosler Trophy Grade in 280AI in Talley lightweight med rings (could have gone with lows but my head position is fine)

Intended use is as a hunting rifle out to 500 yards.

I did my initial sight in at 100 yards with a 300 yard zero running the Nosler Accubond 140g load which put me right at 3" high at 100 yards or, right at 1 mil high.

I tested the turrets and they tracked true.

I went out yesterday evening to verify at 250 and 500 yards for hunting, to see if my calculations for trajectory were correct and make any minor tweaks if needed.

My initial sight in was dead on and my first hit at 250 was exactly where my calcs said it should be, .5 mil high.

I shot some more at 250 and then moved out to 500, I dialed in 1.4mils of correction and first shot was dead on and I shot 5 more, group size was right at 2:"

I let a buddy of mine try it and he had never shot past 100 yards, and didn't think he would be able to do it, easy I said... "just put the crosshair dead center and squeeze"

"boom" and the Larue steel target went down, as it came up I could see his bullet impact right with mine.

He was giddy like a little school girl!

I moved out to 750 and connected with 19" plates 5 times in a row.

Very happy to see this new rifle shot so well and the calculations were spot on the money. I feel confident to go out and hunt, and will be doing so this evening!

I took reticle pics at 250, 500, 750 and 1K

Oct-13-2011-119.jpg

250 yards
Oct-13-2011-120.jpg

500 yards
Oct-13-2011-126.jpg

750 yards
Oct-13-2011-129.jpg

1000 yards(19" plate)
Oct-13-2011-134.jpg

Re: Leupold VXR Patrol 3-9x40 review

I like it, alway's been a lupy fan. Now go put some backstrap in the freezer. Thanks for the review.

Great review. Looking forward to getting one soon. Do you find the TMR reticle easy to pick up in low light situations?

I ordered the non patrol model last week. Glass is nice on the one I got. On the other hand, the illumination will only turn on after you take out the battery and put it back in. The turning on by sensing movement feature doesn't work at all. I'll be sending it back tomorrow to be replaced. This is my 2nd Leupold product, and it is the 2nd one that has been screwed up from the word go, and had to be sent back for replacement. I guess Leupold products and myself don't mix. This is the last one I'll have.

Interesting.

I'm mulling over putting together a 5.56 SPR-ish AR and was going to toss on a 3-9 SS as I've got one I like. This, however, looks like it could be a contender.

My experience with Leupold has been great. I've got a VX3 3.5-10 CDS on my hunting rifle and my brother has a 4.5-14x50 VX3 Long Range on his varmint AR setup. Neither of us have anything but good things to say about the scopes but they aren't run hard or beat up. The caveat is that my VX3 is on a strictly hunting setup. I confirm the zero & the dope prior to my first hunt of the year (5 shots at the most) then shoot a few deer with it. For anything else, I grab a different rifle.

On the other hand, my M700 5R has a SS 5-20 that replaced a SS 10x and my 22 trainer has a SS 3-9. I've got great things to say about all 3 scopes when it comes to repeatability, durability, reliability and overall quality for their. They just work and the glass is excellent in the HD model (I've compared it to my brother's USO SN-3 quite a bit).

The VX3 and the SS 3-9 are very close in glass quality / clarity. I've used both in varying light conditions from full sun, to dawn/dusk, to red & white light spotlights and I'd actually have to pull them out at the same time to give one an edge over the other.

So... have you had a chance to compare the VX-R Patrol to others in the price range? If so, what are your thoughts on glass quality and overall dependability so far?

The review is spot on!!!! And the reason I bought two for Liberty Optics.

I shot them today. One it on an 18" LMT 5.56 and the other is my XCR .308 The tracking it perfect as well as the glass. For precision paper work the reticle would need to be small imo. But, for shooting steel and yote hunting it think it will be perfect.

Hate to bring back an old thread but I looked around and could not find an answer. Considering adding this to a little hunting setup and I was wondering if it had paralax adjustment?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mobius38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hate to bring back an old thread but I looked around and could not find an answer. Considering adding this to a little hunting setup and I was wondering if it had paralax adjustment? </div></div>

NO