• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupolds CDS

skytrooper67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2023
WNY
FNG here. Wondering how good Leupolds new VX6HD scopes are with the CDS system. Does the system really work that good? Rob

Yes it’s an excellent scope imo and the cds system works as advertised. Running it on my short 6.5 and my friends 6.5.
5106C2EE-FB53-4BBA-82FD-7563EBDE3236.jpeg
AFA46262-65A5-4B7A-8B46-E5A9688B4F78.jpeg

Can speak specifically to that scope but I use the CDS on the VX3HD as my T1X .22lr scope and I really like it.

I been thinking about getting the VX3HD 6.5x20x40MM with the EFR. Mount it on a 300 Win mag. Thanks guys Nice Elk. rob

For a shorter range hunting rifle they are great. I would not trust them if it's a traveling gun hunting different enviroments and elevations. Will still need a kestrel or ballistics calc for longer range shots in different environments.

Reactions: st1650
I hunt the same area (elevation) every year. Cold/snow. Longest shots are 425 yrds. Mostly 275/350. I use a 300 yard zero so I know the 180 gr AB will be 9" low @ 400. Really dont need CDS I guess. Just playing with the idea. New VX3HD look nice tho. New scope idous!! thanks guys. Rob

If you have solid information to order your dial and use that dial to hunt where that information is typically the same besides the usual shifts in temp, humidity etc it will work great out to 400yds. The dial when ordered you put in the data asked so pick the middle of your hunting grounds data and you’ll be golden. If you travel to entirely different place then put your other dial back on, knowing your dope would be drastically different and then do it the old fashioned way. With your caliber in the distance you alluded to you will love that dial and make very accurate shots.

Dont they come with a normal mil or moa turret to start with and that can always be used like normal. And then there is also the ballistic yardage one you can have made too? And you arent forced into just the one specific profile turret, you can use the universally applicable one you get from the get go? Or am I wrong on that and its useless until you submit your info for the custom turret?

Dont they come with a normal mil or moa turret to start with and that can always be used like normal. And then there is also the ballistic yardage one you can have made too? And you arent forced into just the one specific profile turret, you can use the universally applicable one you get from the get go? Or am I wrong on that and its useless until you submit your info for the custom turret?
Your correct, I even mentioned tthat above in my post that if he traveled he could use the original dial and do it the old fashioned way.

Thought about one with the B/C reticle also. Just looks to busy.

Boone and Crockett reticle is tits. No CDS dial needed.

My son's Tikka in 6.5 Creed. 4.5-14x vx3hd. 200 yard zero, so center lung is good too go without thought to 225 or so. Anything farther and he can crank it to 14x and use the holds.

Screenshot_20230418-135655-079.png

Ok. Question about distance between the scope objective and the rifle barrel. Does everyone think .021" is enuff distance? I know it isnt much but it gives me a great cheek fit. I would have to go to a med ring and gain almost .050.". Rem 700 CDL .. .300 win mag thanks Rob

Last edited:
I had one cut for a VX5HD with a firedot duplex years ago on a hunting rifle. Worked really well for me, I was pleasantly surprised. Took a bear with it in Idaho at about 350 yards and it was right on the money.

Is it as good as calculating and dialing your own ballistic solution? No, definitely not. But still works surprisingly well. All that said, the accuracy of the dial will only be as good as the data your provide Leupold with.

I have the VX-6HD 4-24X52 with the FIREDOT DUPLEX reticle I think it's the ultimate hunting scope the only thing I would change about it is for the turrets to dial in MILS instead of MOA. I also use the Vortex LRF binos that have AB built in so when I range a deer they will throw back the solution in either MOA or MILS I ordered the CDS turret because it was free, but haven't put it on because I figured I might as well dial in what the MOA is the LRF binos are telling me. Only benefit the CDS turret would be for me is if the LRF binos went tits up I could switch to a backup LRF with the CDS turret.

Practical issue to consider pending hunting conditions….I run the VX-6HD and mostly use it in the evenings for deer hunting over fields…..but at dark thirty I cannot see numbers on the CDS dial. So fall back to fuddy holdovers😁