• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Level IV plate

stan462

Minuteman
Mar 3, 2008
Las Vegas
Can anyone advise if you can trim down a Safariland Level IV plate. IT is 1/2" too big for the plate carrier.

Thanks in advance.

From what I know, those are Ceramic/Fiberglass made by Protech. If that is true, no, you cannot cut them down. You would crack the entire plate since they are bonded and it would compromise your protection. Sorry.

Ceramic, composite and poly plates cannot be altered in any way. It may be possible to grind a steel plate to size, given proper cooling, but would most certainly void any warranty. I would either buy another carrier or seek to get it exchanged,

Not sure which plate you have, but all of mine are ceramic and have a kevlar cover, altering them wouldn't work. If you have the titanium plate, I'm sure you could trim it, but I wouldn't be altering anything that is used to stop rifle rounds. DIY and body armour shouldn't really be in the same sentence, but I guess do what you feel comfortable with.

Get a seamstress,parachute rigger, with a heavy duty sewing machine and attach HD elastic tape inside the binding tape at the edge. Or buy a different plate or carrier.

I'm guessing a waterjet would cut ceramic,titanium,kevlar and any combination thereof.Likely do a good job too. But installing a extension of elastic material at an edge would be the easiest and cheapest.