• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leveling a Millett TRS-1

locked&loaded

Airbrush Slinger
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Galivants Ferry, S.C.
I mounted a Millett on my .308 but had an issue with the standard leveling method. (Level rifle, check scope level by placing level on top turret) When I leveled using this method the crosshairs were noticeably out of level. I then leveled the rifle and placed a 4' level vertically about 30 yards out and leveled the vertical hair with the edege of the 4' level looking through the scope. I then placed a smaller level on the top turret and the bubble was slightly off. Don't know if it is just an issue with the turret or not. I want to go with the "level rifle and scope the 4' builders level" This seems to be the most dependable method in this case.

Have any of you had a similar issue when mounting a scope???

Re: Leveling a Millett TRS-1

Had the same problem on mine. The turrets were rotated a few degrees once I got the cross hairs level.

Once level, everything tracked well and it passed the box drill.

Use a plumb bob on a string line, level the rifle then line up the vertical crosshair on the string line and the scope is level. You may have a tube/turret defect but I would rather the reticle be true vertical/horizontal than the turrets. Unless of course you run a box test and the thing tracks caddywompus, then send it back for exchange or repair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Martens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had the same problem on mine. The turrets were rotated a few degrees once I got the cross hairs level.

Once level, everything tracked well and it passed the box drill. </div></div>

Hopefully I won't have any problems running the box... It was leveled just like using a plumb bob and string. Just need to burn some powder and see...

Did you check to see if the base mount was level. I have had to bed several bases lately because either the holes in the receivers were off or the receivers were. This has been the case on both Savage and Rem 700 rifles.

Check the the base to see if it is level if not bed it and level it up.

GC

Hello

my 2 cents

When the scope is assembled the glass rericle is clamped into the inter tube with 6 small screws. some times the inter tube is not true to the center line of the scope. This can be in thousands of inch.

Its best to center the reticle to the center line of the bore and centered to vertical and horzonal. By doing this when you move the reticle using the turrets the scope moves in alignment the proper axis.

If the scope is not in line with the bore of the rifle when you move the scope it will move not only up but to the right or left according to the position of the scope in relationship to the bore.

So to mount a scope make sure the scope is in line with the bore. Millett angle loc rings are adjustable for windage to align the scope.

a good way to test this is to shoot your rifle in at 100 and then not moving the rifle, ( shoot from a bench ) move the target back to 300, adjust the scope up for the drop and fire a couple shots.

did the point of impact move to the right or left? and there is no wind. This may indicate the scope is not aligned.

Hope I have not confused anyone, just difficult to explain.

Good shooting

Steve

Millett/Bushnell