• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leveling new scope?

0V3RC10CK3D

Private
Minuteman
Hello, I tried searching but couldn't seem to find any posts about leveling scopes.

I got my new SWFA 5-20x50 and was wondering what you guys do to level out the reticle?

Also the local Cabelas says they'll do it for free but should I trust them with that?

Re: Leveling new scope?

You just need two of those little bubble tubes from a level. Put one on top of the elevation nob and one on a flat part of the rifle. Get both bubbles in the middle and tighten the rings.

I use the feeler gauges since this scope has a flat base. It had worked well for me.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the feeler gauges since this scope has a flat base. It had worked well for me.

Aron- </div></div>

Feeler gauges are the best method I've found.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the feeler gauges since this scope has a flat base. It had worked well for me.

Aron- </div></div>Some really old dude at the rifle club showed me the bubble level technique when I was trying to get my new IOR Valdada straight. It was so simple I felt kinda dumb I hadn't thought of it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQgXPA4A2J0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQgXPA4A2J0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I use feeler gauges if it has a flat base on it, if not I have bubble levels or a old tool you cant find anymore for sale. it has 2 little flags that are on a metal rod it fits on top the rail and has black and white line on it you just line up the cross hairs to the lines on the flags on eather side.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I'll try the feeler gauge method, what if they're not thin enough to fit that snug? Like if i have a gap but another one wont fit?

What if i used a post-it note-pad? That way I could get the sizing pretty accurate, not sure how I'll pull it out after i torque down the scope though, maybe get it wet. lol

I used a new deck of playing cards to get real close before I got a few small levels. After that you can check it with a plumb line outside

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0V3RC10CK3D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll try the feeler gauge method, what if they're not thin enough to fit that snug? Like if i have a gap but another one wont fit?

What if i used a post-it note-pad? That way I could get the sizing pretty accurate, not sure how I'll pull it out after i torque down the scope though, maybe get it wet. lol </div></div>

start with using the biggest feelers first and add small ones when you get it close. a set of feeler gauges should go down to atleast .010 gauges thats more than enough to get it close. my set goes down to .002 gauges

You don't really need to shim the scope from the base to the flat erector cell housing bottom. Just use a steel engineer's ruler/guage and hold it in at a angle so one side is flat in the picatinny trough and the other edge is against the bottom flat of the erector cell housing on the scope tube. Rotate scope till both sides make full contact across the edges.

The simplier base method works much better than multiple bubble levels IMO. I have all the bubble levels too and abandoned them over time. I also have one of those reticle levelers and hate it.

I use the wheeler professional leveling system.

Its pretty easy to use.. basically clamp over the barrel and then calibrate, then put the other level on the turret cap, adjust scope until its level is the same as the barrel level.

I level the rifle then level the scope by looking at a hanging string set at 25yards. I never trusted the cap way. I have seen to many where the cap and reticle were not a perfect match.

^^^^ My experience/method exactly. I use a bubble level on the base to ensure the rifle is plumb, then the plumb line to set the scope. Even so called "flat" reticle caps are often a bit on the convex side and the level doesn't set exactly, um, well, <span style="font-style: italic">level</span>. And if it does, as stated above, it doesn't always match the reticle. YMMV, that's just my way of doing things.

"Leveling scope" in search resulted in 10 pages of info on leveling scope??????????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Leveling scope" in search resulted in 10 pages of info on leveling scope?????????? </div></div>

I thought that was kind of suspect myself but maybe he used the sorry search engine at the top and not the one under the Shoutbox???

Use the Custom Google search engine on the right hand side of the screen under the shoutbox for future searches

I use two cheap aluminum line levels (~$2 each) from Home Depot that look exactly like the pic below. I support the rear of the stock to level the rifle base in both front-back and left-right plane before leveling/mounting the scope. That way, the level will show perfectly center when the scope is even no matter what horizontal axis the level is at.

If using aluminum rings, I'm really careful as the rings tighten cause tightening one side more than the other will actually pull the scope off level. Never had this issue with steel rings.

Empire-93-3.jpg