• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lever action Marlin questions - 44 mag and 45-70

Fenix Mike

Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Didnt see a section on this, but trying to educate myself on the better purchase of the two trades I was offered. Basically ive been in the lever action market since I bought some S&W revolvers in 357, 44 and 500, having ultimately wanted one of the newer tactical looking Henry rifles with the threaded barrels, however a trade offer for one of my guns came through with a couple Marlins, which I understand are quite good as well.
The two offers were the Marlin 1895 Trapper in 45-70, and the Marlin 1894 44 Mag with the older JM barrel.

I prefer the look of the 1895 Trapper, but 45-70 isnt cheap to shoot, and ive heard it packs a punch when firing the hotter stuff. I also have 44 mag with my current revolver, so thats why I figured 44 would be more fun, but thats definitely a more classic looking rifle, and larger with the longer barrel.

Thoughts?

What's the intended purpose of the rifle?
shooting steel and paper. I cant say I have any intent of ever hunting with it, however if I found myself hiking in an unknown area where there may be aggressive/dangerous animals, id have this slung over my back with the 44 or 500 on my side.
So far in 39 years the amount of time ive spent in dangerous wilderness has been 0 days, 0 hours, and 0 minutes, so realistically other than "what if" scenarios, paper killer and eventually a medium power scope for some steel out to whatever distance the round goes, maybe some hand loading.

I'd stick with the 44 mag.
Thats the way I was leaning. I really wanted a Henry in 357 because its relatively cheap and I can run my cans on it since it had a threaded barrel, but these trades kinda fell in my lap, and most of my hunting buddies obviously said 45-70 because its big, huge and awesome, but that would likely translate to it got shot once, and sits in the safe. I could see myself enjoying the 44 more, and cheaper to shoot.

Thank you for the help!

If your goal is fun 44 mag, if hunting is in your future then 45-70. Lots of loading options.
I was seeing ammo from about $25-40 a box for the 45-70, and some say its brutal, others say not bad. I have a Barrett 50 cal and have shot 300 win and 338 lapua for years, so my idea of recoil is probably different than others, but if its unpleasant to shoot or costs to much to kill paper, I probably wont enjoy it.

Sounds like 44 it is!

I was seeing ammo from about $25-40 a box for the 45-70, and some say its brutal, others say not bad. I have a Barrett 50 cal and have shot 300 win and 338 lapua for years, so my idea of recoil is probably different than others, but if its unpleasant to shoot or costs to much to kill paper, I probably wont enjoy it.

Sounds like 44 it is!
If your comfortable shooting those other calibers, 45-70 wont be an issue. But for shooting paper and steel, 44 mag for the win. Ive got a couple 4570s in the safe. Never use them, too much gun for plinking and general shooting

If your comfortable shooting those other calibers, 45-70 wont be an issue. But for shooting paper and steel, 44 mag for the win. Ive got a couple 4570s in the safe. Never use them, too much gun for plinking and general shooting
I guess for my first lever action, I will give 44 a try. Worst case I can sell it and go back to 45-70 later, but other than “what if’s” or loud noises against steel, I can’t see myself “needing” 45-70.

I have a 44 mag, a new one with 16" barrel. Its alot of fun to shoot, and is good for killing deer, and black bear.

Ive shot the 45-70 a bunch, and its got some punch, but its not absurd. If you want to have fun and ahoot it more then the 44 is a better option.

I researched and saved and watched Hickok45 videos and decided on a new Marlin 1894 44 mag last year and found what I thought was a good one. I experienced the Marlin jam often and when it would function it was the most wildly inaccurate gun of any type I've ever owned with stock and Skinner sights and even a decent Vortex scope. Beautiful rifle that I wanted to go with my Ruger Rehawk but it had to go. I researched cures but none worked. I got a great trade in credit but still lost.

Reactions: Fenix Mike
I researched and saved and watched Hickok45 videos and decided on a new Marlin 1894 44 mag last year and found what I thought was a good one. I experienced the Marlin jam often and when it would function it was the most wildly inaccurate gun of any type I've ever owned with stock and Skinner sights and even a decent Vortex scope. Beautiful rifle that I wanted to go with my Ruger Rehawk but it had to go. I researched cures but none worked. I got a great trade in credit but still lost.
Thats disappointing to hear. Guy wanted retail for his used Marlin, while wanting my 1911 for $300 less than retail, so the trade didn't work anyway. Im just going to save up for the Henry tactical in 357 mag or 44 mag.

Reactions: lash
I agree with you, the trapper is a really nice looking gun. However, you will probably be happier with the 44. I have a lever gun in 44 and one in 45-70, and I shoot the 44 more. I also have a 44 mag revolver, which helps the situation a bit.

Reactions: Thecelt
Get the 45-70, you can load down with 400gr cast bullet to 1600fps, easy on the shoulder and a lot more reassuring than any 44mag load, with marlin action you can load a lot hotter if you are really expecting big trouble ( in North America, that would be a big grizzly). I pack a Winchester 71 with 250gr Barnes in big bear country, hornady 200gr bullets or 250cast loads for play and black bear country.have a Win 94 in44Mag. OK for rolling cans and 2 legged predators I suppose, but I have reservations about counting on it for big bears. My 2 cents.

Cheers!

ALL of my reloading buddies say get the 45-70, all the plinkers say get the 44 mag... I may have just sold my 44 mag, so I think I really just want the Henry in 357 Mag.
I find this to be ABSOLUTELY SEXY, and calling my name....

I do like the Henry’s. My vote is .357 or .44 to go with a revolver. It’s my someday plan. Either will do.

Reactions: Steel head
Thats disappointing to hear. Guy wanted retail for his used Marlin, while wanting my 1911 for $300 less than retail, so the trade didn't work anyway. Im just going to save up for the Henry tactical in 357 mag or 44 mag.

I have a few examples of both cartridges in lever action rifles. I have a life long love affair with lever action rifles that started with my first purchase - a Marlin 39A.

Steel and paper? 357 without question. I'ts fun, fun, and fun. It can also double as an inside 100 yards deer rifle with the right load/bullet.

44 mag? I have killed several whitetails over the years with a Marlin 1894S in .44 mag.

For fun and target the .357 wins the day.

Reactions: lash and Thecelt
Marlin has the new dark series out that have the shorter barrels. There were a lot of quality issues when Remington first bought out Marlin because they weren't familiar with the Tooling & Machining, but that has been addressed. And we are seeing fewer and fewer examples of bad quality Marlins being put out.

ALL of my reloading buddies say get the 45-70, all the plinkers say get the 44 mag... I may have just sold my 44 mag, so I think I really just want the Henry in 357 Mag.
I find this to be ABSOLUTELY SEXY, and calling my name....
As much as I'd prefer it not be a black gun and more classic looking, I bet my Osprey would see a lot more use on a 357 lever gun than it does on my pistols.

"There were a lot of quality issues when Remington first bought out Marlin because they weren't familiar with the Tooling & Machining, but that has been addressed. And we are seeing fewer and fewer examples of bad quality Marlins being put out."

That's good to hear. I was disappointed when Remington acquired Marlin. I feared quality would go down and the brand would fade away. Marlins are pretty cool, in my opinion. Even in this age of rails everywhere , 45 degree offset red dot sights, tactical this and tactical that, the looks of the old Marlin 1895 and 336 still warm my heart.

Mine is a M1895, pre-Remington vintage. I have found that most factory ammo is pretty tame. With exception of loads advertised as potent, its easy to shoot. It shoots far better than I expected it to: 1-1.5 MOA. 3-shot groups, of course.

AG

Reactions: Thecelt
That's good to hear. I was disappointed when Remington acquired Marlin. I feared quality would go down and the brand would fade away. Marlins are pretty cool, in my opinion. Even in this age of rails everywhere , 45 degree offset red dot sights, tactical this and tactical that, the looks of the old Marlin 1895 and 336 still warm my heart.

Mine is a M1895, pre-Remington vintage. I have found that most factory ammo is pretty tame. With exception of loads advertised as potent, its easy to shoot. It shoots far better than I expected it to: 1-1.5 MOA. 3-shot groups, of course.

AG

Here is an old article that kind of explains the story.

Unless you are in Bear country all the time 44 is way to go. I have both levers and revolvers in both and the 44 go shooting more than the 45-70's.

Lever actions can be fun, and the 44mag and 45-70 are both great rounds. If you reload, you can make light or hot loads. Most factory 44 mag loads are hot vs most 45-70 loads are light in fear and safety of them being shot in older weapons such as the Trapdoor Springfield that can't hold the new pressures. Some loads will be hot though such as through Corbon or Buffalo Bore. I use the Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 for guide work and a saddle rifle. The round works amazing and did on a bear hunt in 2011 in Saskatchewan for a black bear.

In terms of value, the JM is worth money from a collective standpoint over the new manufactured Marlins since Remington bought them out (Remlins). When Remington initially bought our Marlin and made the rifles, they had a great many quality control problems and stories to follow if you look. Although it appears they have gotten a lot better. I received a new Marlin 1894 in 44mag about 2 years ago and the fit and finish is very good. Accuracy is acceptable from the rifle as well.

The famous "Marlin Jam" is still very well present and part of the design, but it is fixable especially in a new gun that hasn't been cycled much or started the wear pattern. It is merely polishing a right angle off a cam in the lever that ends up digging a channel in the carrier, which then throws the timing of feeding off causing the jams. The listed link describes in detail how to fix it and is easily accomplished:

Fixing the "Marlin Jam"

Tuning Marlin Lever Actions:

Also a lot of information on Marlins on the Marlin Owners Forum:

I load for my marlin 45/70, sometimes I cast the heavies for it. (I get lead for free). A 45/70 is easy to load for, but if you don't, it's a gun that 20 rounds in an afternoon is enough. I carried their shorter guide model in the Brooks Range for self protection, a wonderful rifle to backpack with.

If you have any inkling to reload, the 45-70 is a very flexible rifle that can be loaded from mild to wild. Loading lead bullets, it is also very inexpensive to reload for. I have both a Marlin 1894C in .357 and a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. Both are a hoot to shoot. The 1895 I shoot only on paper and steel. I reload 300 gr. RNFP's at around 1,100 fps and I can shoot those all day long. If you need a 45-70 load for protection, just buy some factory hunting ammo and you'll be well served. To encourage you to reload, you could buy a used single stage press for well under $100, dies for $50, etc. Not a huge investment, and could load for any gun you have. Let us know what you decide.

p.s. I own both Marlins (see above) and a Henry and like both. Buy whichever floats your particular boat.

I couldn't decide so I have both a 44mag and 45-70 lever. The 44 is nicer to shoot at the range (less recoil). the 45-70 is a bit of a range novelty. Shoot it several times and "yep, that's enough of that".

Reactions: 6gunner
I found this fucker at a local Big R before Colorados quarantine, Marlin 1985 Dark Series. It was on the shelf for about a week until I said what the hell. I found the forend on Brownells. I ordered a Leupold FX-II IER 2.5x28 for it.

Attachments

• 85330518-86D8-4777-B6E9-F9DFDA2B5852.jpeg
    85330518-86D8-4777-B6E9-F9DFDA2B5852.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 793
Reactions: Millron
I found this fucker at a local Big R before Colorados quarantine, Marlin 1985 Dark Series. It was on the shelf for about a week until I said what the hell. I found the forend on Brownells. I ordered a Leupold FX-II IER 2.5x28 for it.

I bought one of these a few months ago. Thing is remarkably accurate. I really wish marlin would have gotten some of the 357 and 44 mag dark series guns out into the wild before the whole remington bankruptcy. Everyone gave "remlins" hell but to be honest the ones I've owned that are of recent production are more accurate than the JM stamped guns that I played with. The older Marlins do however seem to have a bit more refinement in the the fit/finish category

I've shot both of the rifles in the calibers indicated. For your intended purposes, I would go for the 44 mag. It will be more fund and tolerable to shoot. As much as I like the 45-70, I'm not a fan of the short barreled ones, especially if they are factory ported.

In NM where there’s typically only black bears, I think, go for the 44 mag. I have both and I like them both, but the 45-70 was bought when I lived in Idaho for the purpose of being carried where there might be a grizzly. The 44 gets more time at the range for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Bandit320
What about 30-30 since it seems like the deal is off and you get to shop around now? Ammo seems much cheaper and I would assume it would have a bit further reach without much added recoil, correct? It doesn't have the added benefit of utilizing your current 44 ammo you have for your revolver if that is a big factor.

Can’t go wrong with either 357 or 44 mag. Hell get both. I like mine equally. Been shooting my golden boy 22 a lot lately as well. Levers are always fun. Waiting for Ruger to restart production on some Marlins hopefully soon.

If you reload, the 45-70 is cheap to feed (under $20 to reload 50 rds.). I have an 1895 (the 22" barrel version) and like you only use it for paper and steel. I shoot 300 gr. RNFP's at around 1,200 fps and it's a pleasure to shoot (have shot just over 600 rds. through it so far). I can shoot a box of 50 in one session. Factory hunting loads at double the velocity is a different story.

It's also a conversation starter at the range with those howitzer sized cases. Super fun to shoot at steel at 200 yds., and makes a manly "clang" when hitting steel! It does however have the trajectory of a mortar shell :).

p.s. nothing against pistol caliber lever actions either. I also own a Marlin 1894C in .357
p.p.s. Also like Henry's as I have a color case hardened Henry 30-30 and love shooting that too. I reload for all three of my lever actions.